• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India tour of Ireland and England 2022

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would people decide a 23 year old guy with a track record like that, and decide based on one innings in the WTC where he top scored 41 out of a team total 170 but looked rough and decide he was a slogger, overrated, not good enough to play tests, not fit for these conditions etc?
It'd be ridiculous if they did. All I was saying, is that if he got criticised for the WTC final knock, he deserved it. It was awful. Everyone's entitled to learn and get better. Unfortunately some pundits don't allow for this when summarising a player. So it's OK to say Pant had a great start to his career, hit a flat spot right at that WTC final, but is now on his way back. He's a hell of a player, clearly.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
India are just a much better team. “Bazball” or whatever was never likely to make a definitive difference in this fixture, nor is it at fault for the position we’re in.
As long as people see 'Baz Ball' (as much as I hate that term) for what it is. It's hopefully going to produce improvement in the sad, spineless, mentally fragile side that got spanked in the Ashes and hadn't won more than 1 Test in 17.

But it sure as **** didn't turn them into world beaters over the course of a month, nor is it a path to consistency.

England's top order still has technical flaws. Their bowlers are good, but not really world class. They don't have a top-class WK/bat. In conditions like against us, where it's flat and the bowling isn't overly inspired - one spell from Boult apart and in the first innings at Lord's - they have the fire power to dominate. But they're still going to be susceptible to a powerhouse attack working them over. They'll still struggle greatly against top class spin.

BazBall21

International Regular
As long as people see 'Baz Ball' (as much as I hate that term) for what it is. It's hopefully going to produce improvement in the sad, spineless, mentally fragile side that got spanked in the Ashes and hadn't won more than 1 Test in 17.

But it sure as **** didn't turn them into world beaters over the course of a month, nor is it a path to consistency.

England's top order still has technical flaws. Their bowlers are good, but not really world class. They don't have a top-class WK/bat. In conditions like against us, where it's flat and the bowling isn't overly inspired - one spell from Boult apart and in the first innings at Lord's - they have the fire power to dominate. But they're still going to be susceptible to a powerhouse attack working them over. They'll still struggle greatly against top class spin.

Yeah despite my name on here which I decided off top of my head at 2am I have my differences with the new philosophy. Attacking the moving ball or indeed attacking at all times is unsustainable and I think they would be better off looking to create a platform for when the ball is soft in order to be in a better position for when attacking is a safer option. But still when playing under a Coach that pledged high emphasis on conventional cricket at the start of his reign we were hopeless so, as it’s clear, the team is a bigger problem than any “philosophy”.

I think these flattish pitches could help England’s batting and bowling long-term but rn India, Australia and even South Africa all have the potential to whack them on puddings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Man am I looking forward to seeing England try to swing their way out of this one. Great content regardless of the outcome.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Anderson is still a world-class fast bowler. The only guys genuinely better than him still are probably Bumrah, Cummins and Rabada. But whilst Anderson's still incisive in the first innings of a Test, his returns in the second innings are less impressive. Broad still blows hot and cold, but is as good as most of the next rank of pace bowlers, like Southee or probably Shami. But that's it. Woakes is a home bully, Robinson has the potential to be at Broad's level but can't get on the pitch. Still early days with Potts. Archer will never be fit long-term, neither will Wood, but I'm not convinced either would be world class Test bowlers. Beyond that, slim pickings.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson is still a world-class fast bowler. The only guys genuinely better than him still are probably Bumrah, Cummins and Rabada. But whilst Anderson's still incisive in the first innings of a Test, his returns in the second innings are less impressive. Broad still blows hot and cold, but is as good as most of the next rank of pace bowlers, like Southee or probably Shami. But that's it. Woakes is a home bully, Robinson has the potential to be at Broad's level but can't get on the pitch. Still early days with Potts. Archer will never be fit long-term, neither will Wood, but I'm not convinced either would be world class Test bowlers. Beyond that, slim pickings.
Lemme tell you something, Anderson is a Kyle Mayers lite

Preed

U19 12th Man
We really need to get Robinson fit and then retire Broad who no longer takes wickets and is being out bowled by. 39 year old.I hope the Baz Ball is now removed from the English language

Burgey

Very tough on Archer imo. Very much a world class bowler when he’s up and going. Just had a ton of injuries

TheJediBrah

Yeah despite my name on here which I decided off top of my head at 2am I have my differences with the new philosophy. Attacking the moving ball or indeed attacking at all times is unsustainable and I think they would be better off looking to create a platform for when the ball is soft in order to be in a better position for when attacking is a safer option. But still when playing under a Coach that pledged high emphasis on conventional cricket at the start of his reign we were hopeless so, as it’s clear, the team is a bigger problem than any “philosophy”.

I think these flattish pitches could help England’s batting and bowling long-term but rn India, Australia and even South Africa all have the potential to whack them on puddings.
Where is your life at that at 2am your course of action is to join an online cricket forum?

Jk i post here all day at work

Flem274*

123/5
Didn't take long for people to evacuate the Bazball train. Only half an innings.

And tbh this exact situation happened almost every game last series. It's right now England playing like memes gets them parity.

Or 132 all out again like at Lord's. Will be fun regardless.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah obviously the big difference this series is that Potts is the 8 rather than Joverton. But if Bairstow and Stokes can give us a partnership then who knows.

Shady Slim

International Coach
It'd be ridiculous if they did. All I was saying, is that if he got criticised for the WTC final knock, he deserved it. It was awful. Everyone's entitled to learn and get better. Unfortunately some pundits don't allow for this when summarising a player. So it's OK to say Pant had a great start to his career, hit a flat spot right at that WTC final, but is now on his way back. He's a hell of a player, clearly.
feeling very very attacked here

Burgey

While I’d imagine every great bowler isn’t fun, he looks particularly horrible to face. So hard to pick, gives you nothing, wide range of weapons etc.
For sure.

The development of he and Shami, with Ishant improving the past few years followed by Siraj and back up from Nostrils is what's made India so competitive in all conditions. They've got real depth in fast bowling now and it compliments Ashwin & Jadeja. Depending on the venue, they've got two or three first rate spinners to play, then when they have to play in real conditions and only one spinner is needed, they've got properly good quicks to bring in and rotate through the line up. It's what sets this era for them apart from earlier sides who had good or great spinners but would have their quicks let the pressure off. Doesn't happen these days any more.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Just watched the second day highlights. By the looks of it all brawn and zero brains now with either bat or ball. By whitewashing the world champions with this new gung go approach in the last series, England have just created a permanent “that’s the way they play, gotta take the good with the bad” excuse for the next 4 years or more. Zero accountability. Enjoy lads

Burgey

Just watched the second day highlights. By the looks of it all brawn and zero brains now with either bat or ball. By whitewashing the world champions with this new gung go approach in the last series, England have just created a permanent “that’s the way they play, gotta take the good with the bad” excuse for the next 4 years or more. Zero accountability. Enjoy lads
tbf Bairstow's strike rate is 25 this innings.

It's not what @chris.hinton promised me. I took his predictions at face value and expected England to have a first innings lead after 27 overs. Am disappoint.