• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem is that nobody has been putting up better domestic numbers at the right time. Renshaw had been given a raw deal and possibly Maxwell too (but nobody in the setup seems to like him). Even then, other than the hundred in India Maxwell made one ton in first class cricket last season and it was on an MCG road that ended in a draw, even after an aggressive declaration.

Mitch Marsh in particular has the ability to step up when it counts... that is in the lead up to test matches. It's there a better A side bully in the world?

I've said it before but I think Shaun Marsh is there because of the bans. Without him who does Australia have that has played a decent number of tests?

The main issues I see is that people like Langer openly play favourites and the Marsh brothers are lightning rods for those criticisms because they have benefited so strongly from it.

Right now I think at least one, if not both of them will play this summer. And I don't think there is too much wrong with that if they're putting up the numbers.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The problem is that nobody has been putting up better domestic numbers at the right time. Renshaw had been given a raw deal and possibly Maxwell too (but nobody in the setup seems to like him). Even then, other than the hundred in India Maxwell made one ton in first class cricket last season and it was on an MCG road that ended in a draw, even after an aggressive declaration.

Mitch Marsh in particular has the ability to step up when it counts... that is in the lead up to test matches. It's there a better A side bully in the world?

I've said it before but I think Shaun Marsh is there because of the bans. Without him who does Australia have that has played a decent number of tests?

The main issues I see is that people like Langer openly play favourites and the Marsh brothers are lightning rods for those criticisms because they have benefited so strongly from it.

Right now I think at least one, if not both of them will play this summer. And I don't think there is too much wrong with that if they're putting up the numbers.
Don't get me wrong, right now I'd probably have both of them in the team for the summer, especially after last Ashes. But I wouldn't like it, because you just know they'll bully the Indians on flat home tracks, forcing them to be selected for the next overseas tours where they will **** up and Aus will lose comfortably.

I'd rather give someone else a chance who might be better in the long term. There are probably plenty of batsmen going around who would dominate about equally as Smarsh and Mmarsh at home, but do better much away.

howardj

International Coach
Handscombe is putting up great domestic numbers of late, why not him?

Renshaw and Maxwell went back to FC last Summer and put up the numbers, and both have Test tons, why not them?

They are younger, have more scope for improvement, and their records are just as good as the 35 year-old "young man" (to quote Langer)

Burgey

Oh and Ponting clearly only got his chances because of his uncle.
I think Ponting got his chance because he went to the Tassie under 16s carnival as a 13 year old and made five tons in five matches. they also changed the junior cricket rules down there because he didn't get out for two and a half years, so they brought in some rule to say you had to retire at a certain score.

FMD I could play against under 13s now and I'd still get out at some point. That's insane hunger and concentration.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ponting got his chance because he went to the Tassie under 16s carnival as a 13 year old and made five tons in five matches. they also changed the junior cricket rules down there because he didn't get out for two and a half years, so they brought in some rule to say you had to retire at a certain score.

FMD I could play against under 13s now and I'd still get out at some point. That's insane hunger and concentration.
Nah it was all that Greg Campbell lineage

Victor Ian

International Coach
I had a theory that two brothers in the Australian team meant we would be awesome and best in the world - Chappells and Waughs as my large sample of evidence. I was so eager for the two Marshes to play together. I hate been proven wrong. But maybe this is the moment when it all clicks together. I remember the original Marsh took until the twighlight of his career to finaly go big and replace less with ful to his use. It could happen.

Burgey

You guys aren't suggesting certain blokes get picked because of lineage and connections via their families to the powers that be in their Clubs/ States/ Country are you?

the big bambino

International Captain
I see the continued selection of the Marshes as a symptom of the health of Australian batting. When its as weak as it is it gets an unpleasant, opportunistic, scorching case of the Marshes that would normally be dealt if it was in a healthy condition.

So they'll play again this summer.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like an all-rounder that has all-round skills and isn't being selected as a batsman because we're so reliant on our four bowlers.

I mean, in this world Mitch Marsh is going to be a staple until we find an all-rounder definitively better or has a name we know. It could be 2025 before that happens. But since we only have Stoinis and Wildermuth really, I would rather see them given shots than endure another summer of Mitch whereby we go through the same old story in which we learn very little. Pick Simon Milenko for all I care.

Until Smith and Warner (unfortunately) come back, I think through our weakness should come pursuit of new opportunities.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You guys aren't suggesting certain blokes get picked because of lineage and connections via their families to the powers that be in their Clubs/ States/ Country are you?
Wouldn't necessarily say anything malicious is going on, but hey, a performance from a kid named Waugh is more likely to stick in the mind, I suppose.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Wait, he didn't get out at all for 2.5 years???

Bijed

International Regular

I thought I'd have a quick research of his early cricketing exploits and found that not only is there a wikipedia page for Ricky Ponting, there's a separate one for the 'Early life of Ricky Ponting'.

Not even Tendulkar has an equivalent page

Last edited: