• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Perry Mason said:
Listen mate, we get it that you don't rate India's chances in SA. But why the compulsion to respond to each and every post reiterating it ? You've made your stance clear. Now spare us the repeated dose of depression.

How else can I hope to achieve my life long dream of catching marc in number of posts?

Langeveldt

Soutie
South Africa 3-1 ODI's

India 1-1 Tests

Don't hold out much optimism really of SA disposing of India all that effectively..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
South Africa 3-1 ODI's

India 1-1 Tests

Don't hold out much optimism really of SA disposing of India all that effectively..

You're an SA guy, why do you say that? Certainly, you have the better bowling attack. India has the better batting, but not necessarily on SA soil (all indian batsmen average less there than their career average).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
(all indian batsmen average less there than their career average).
And why the hell should they not? Since when is there a rule that you must average more runs away from home on pitches which aid bowlers a bit more?

Its only logical for them to average less. You're making it sound that because Sachin doesn't average 50+ there India can't win :dry:

Tests: 1-1
ODIS: 3-2 SA

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
And why the hell should they not? Since when is there a rule that you must average more runs away from home on pitches which aid bowlers a bit more?

Its only logical for them to average less. You're making it sound that because Sachin doesn't average 50+ there India can't win :dry:

Tests: 1-1
ODIS: 3-2 SA

Well Sachin averages like 10 points less, Dravid averages like 15 points less. Not a small difference. Logical or not, you can't average 15 points less than your career average and hope to win (unless your average is like Bradman).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Well Sachin averages like 10 points less, Dravid averages like 15 points less. Not a small difference. Logical or not, you can't average 15 points less than your career average and hope to win (unless your average is like Bradman).
You can, if you have bowlers to bowl the opposition out for less.

India 0-2 Tests, 1-4 ODis

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
Have you seen the difference between Lara's home and away averages? Lara averages just over 45 away from home, yet people say he's possibly the best since Bradman.

Plus, as hard as I look in the SA bowling line-up, I can't find Allan Donald. Ntini is very good, Steyn looks promising, but this ain't the 90s anymore.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Please stop the rhethoric and spare the thread from being spoiled Silentstriker. :)

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
Have you seen the difference between Lara's home and away averages? Lara averages just over 45 away from home, yet people say he's possibly the best since Bradman.
And how many away series have the WI won in the last five years? When did I say Dravid was not a great player? I said that averaging that won't win us a series, unless we have the bowling to make up for it (which we don't).

Jono said:
Plus, as hard as I look in the SA bowling line-up, I can't find Allan Donald. Ntini is very good, Steyn looks promising, but this ain't the 90s anymore.

Better than ours, plus they are playing at home.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
Better than ours, plus they are playing at home.
They may be a 1000 times better than ours; that still doesn't have anything to do with them bowling us out twice.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
viktor said:
They may be a 1000 times better than ours; that still doesn't have anything to do with them bowling us out twice.

Sure it does. Them playing at home plus us not doing as well overseas = them bowling us out twice more than we bowl them out twice. And that means a series victory.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Donald wasn't there last time either, we still lost 3-0 in Tests and 3-1 in ODIs against the likes of Pollock, Nitni, Hayward etc. Nitni, Pollock, Steyn, Nel etc. is a good enough attack to beat India 2-0 in Tests.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
Sure it does. Them playing at home plus us not doing as well overseas = them bowling us out twice more than we bowl them out twice. And that means a series victory.
That does not automatically follow from their attack being better than ours.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
viktor said:
Why do you think that they wont be able to bowl us out 4 times (weather permitting) ?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Why do you think that they wont be able to bowl us out 4 times (weather permitting) ?
I never said that. I merely pointed out that stating their attack is better than ours does not mean they would bowl us out twice. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
viktor said:
I never said that. I merely pointed out that stating their attack is better than ours does not mean they would bowl us out twice. :)

No, but it sure gives them a better chance. And IMO its good enough to give them an easy 2-0 victory. I doubt if we will threaten to win any match past day two.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well, if you leave the semantics aside, I do think that Silentstriker's argument has some merit.

During the last tour India had probably their best batting lineup and almost all in good form against the likes of a world class bowlers in Pollock and support bowlers like Nitni, Zulu, Hayward etc. Not to forget the our best bowling attack led by World Class Srinath, Kumble, Harbhajan and suported by Venky Prasad, Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra. And we still lost 3 test series 3-0.

Hence I dont see any reasons for the optimism being shown by some here (and at the same time criticizing Silentstriker for his not-so-optimistic predictions) esp when our bating is much worse than it was in 2001-2002 and so is our bowling.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Well, if you leave the semantics aside, I do think that Silentstriker's argument has some merit.
Its logic, not semantics. But agree that cricketwise, SS makes a good argument. Its difficult to envisage a Test win in SA. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Certainly, you have the better bowling attack. India has the better batting.
Outside of India and Srilanka (and counting the current form not reputation), I think SA batting(and bowling) lineup is as good as Indian line up.