• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Ignore the misleading headlines.

Basically Kohli's justification for no practice games is that you never know what the wicket will be like, so he rather practice on the wickets that they can control, rather than leave it up to CSA to potentially make them waste two days on a wicket that will be nothing like what they might face.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm so pumped for this. I'm actually kind of worried India will suck in the first two tests and ruin the series but I actually cautiously optimistic about the series as a whole.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cape Town had some rain in the last 24 hours but not a lot really to effect drought conditions.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm so pumped for this. I'm actually kind of worried India will suck in the first two tests and ruin the series but I actually cautiously optimistic about the series as a whole.
Do you think we have the batting to consistently score 300+ against SA attack on bouncy tracks? I'm not very optimistic about that. I think maybe Rahane or Kohli or Pujara will score a century and we'll cross 300 once in the series or twice - but not regularly.

The pitches were different last time.

Last edited:

vcs

Do you think we have the batting to consistently score 300+ against SA attack on bouncy tracks? I'm not very optimistic about that. I think maybe Rahane or Kohli or Pujara will score a century and we'll cross 300 once in the series or twice - but not regularly.

India's young batting lineup did really well last time and Jo'burg was quite tricky to bat on day 1. Durban was a more subcontinent-type wicket, Jaddu bowled well, Kallis ground out a hundred and Steyn bowled a couple of decisive spells in both innings.

The good thing about the last tour was that the ODI series was scheduled prior to the Tests. After the humiliation in the ODI series, I think the batsmen had got to grips with the conditions.

Will never forget Steyn's spell to Rohit Sharma in the first ODI.. I think Sharma faced 16 balls out of the first 3 overs and played and missed 15 of them.. literally, not exaggerating. Haven't been able to find any youtube clips of that. Never seen anything like that.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Yeah that spell was amazing... probably the last time that Steyn bowled those unplayable prodigious outswingers over a full spell.

OverratedSanity

I think most of this lineup (especially Kohli and Rohit) plays pace and bounce better than lateral movement. Batting depth could be an issue though. We can't afford to keep sending out Ashwin at 6.

Heboric

International Debutant
Got my tickets for Newlands, must get there early to buy beer tokens - very important :beer: :beer:

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Can't wait for this to start.

3rd Test, India tour of South Africa at Cape Town, Jan 2-6 2011 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

The last Newlands Test between these two was a classic, Harbhajan would probably have been remembered as a legend for us if Kallis and Boucher hadn't defied us in that game. His spell in their 2nd innings was brilliant.
The Sachin innings was awesome, the battle between him and Steyn when the bowler was having a beast spell was awesome cricket.

Great series that, shame India were so poor in the first test.

Gob

International Coach
I think most of this lineup (especially Kohli and Rohit) plays pace and bounce better than lateral movement. Batting depth could be an issue though. We can't afford to keep sending out Ashwin at 6.
Rohit is a dud test bat tbh. Has all the talent but keeps finding stupid ways to get out. Kohli and Rahane would have to make bulk of the runs. Be interesting to see how Chepu goes as well. Not the best out side the sub continent but did pretty well in SA last time.

OverratedSanity

Rohit is a dud test bat tbh. Has all the talent but keeps finding stupid ways to get out. Kohli and Rahane would have to make bulk of the runs. Be interesting to see how Chepu goes as well. Not the best out side the sub continent but did pretty well in SA last time.
The new Rohit is genuinely good and I reckon he's going to surprise some people in these overseas tours.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Sachin innings was awesome, the battle between him and Steyn when the bowler was having a beast spell was awesome cricket.

Great series that, shame India were so poor in the first test.
Was that the spell where Pujara got that absolute beast of a delivery that started on leg and swung to off?

OverratedSanity

Was that the spell where Pujara got that absolute beast of a delivery that started on leg and swung to off?

Yup. In those two 5 over spells, he bowled 48 balls to Sachin in which he beat the bat like 20 times. He only got to bowl 12 balls to the others in which he embarrassed Dhoni, bowled that ridiculous delivery to get Pujara and bowled Harbhajan with an even better ball but the bail didn't fall off. If he'd got Tendulkar out, the rest probably would have been blown away in 2-3 overs.

On pure quality it was probably the best bowling I've ever seen.