• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
btw, Tahir averages 11.25 with a strike rate of 63.82. I think he could have seen off a few balls if he was called on to do so. He isn't anywhere near Chris Martin status

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only thing which boggles my mind is how do you not go for the effing world record when it's right there for the taking? How does anyone not want to grab that kind of legacy?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I love how the Indian media is painting this as some sort of moral victory for India. There is no way you allow a team to get that close on the final day. South Africa should be the far happier side coming out of this game; their bowlers underperformed in home conditions but their quality is proven over time and they are better odds to come out strong in Durban. India, on the other hand, performed way above their stations and while Kohli and Pujara are obviously good batsmen, our bowling looked toothless in the second innings, chances being they'll revert to type in the second Test.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually pitch had slowed down and the uneven bounce wasn't enough to trouble the batsmen a great deal.

Durban will likely produce a real quick one which should keep the bowlers interested all throughout. Incidentally, India won their last time for precisely that reason. If, however, it is a good batting pitch, SA should win easily IMO.

harsh.ag

I love how the Indian media is painting this as some sort of moral victory for India. There is no way you allow a team to get that close on the final day. South Africa should be the far happier side coming out of this game; their bowlers underperformed in home conditions but their quality is proven over time and they are better odds to come out strong in Durban. India, on the other hand, performed way above their stations and while Kohli and Pujara are obviously good batsmen, our bowling looked toothless in the second innings, chances being they'll revert to type in the second Test.
It's not about that. This is a ridiculous line of reasoning. Of course we appreciate how India ****ed up big time. Of course we appreciate the herculian efforts by the Saffers. But this is just not about that. It's about giving up the chance to cement a legacy, to hold the record for the highest chase in test history. How do you not go for 16 odd runs in 3 overs with two wickets in hand (even discounting Morkel)? I mean, really, how can you value a draw that much? Nobody here is praising the Indians, and I have not seen one post to that effect. The Saffers goofed up big time. It is just against the spirit of sport to not go for gold in such a case.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It's not about that. This is a ridiculous line of reasoning. Of course we appreciate how India ****ed up big time. Of course we appreciate the herculian efforts by the Saffers. But this is just not about that. It's about giving up the chance to cement a legacy, to hold the record for the highest chase in test history. How do you not go for 16 odd runs in 3 overs with two wickets in hand (even discounting Morkel)? I mean, really, how can you value a draw that much? Nobody here is praising the Indians, and I have not seen one post to that effect. The Saffers goofed up big time. It is just against the spirit of sport to not go for gold in such a case.
ummmm maybe..just maybe because they didn't want to lose the Test and go into Durban with only a series to square? It isn't exactly a herculean feat of reasoning, that.

They aren't beholden to play for the spectators. They are the no. 1 team playing the no. 2 team at home. Indian fans should be graceful we didn't lose; quite rich hearing the spirit of the game nonsense from you lot. Dhoni not walking, Kallis given out with the inside edge.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

ummmm maybe..just maybe because they didn't want to lose the Test and go into Durban with only a series to square? It isn't exactly a herculean feat of reasoning, that.

They aren't beholden to play for the spectators. They are the no. 1 team playing the no. 2 team at home. Indian fans should be graceful we didn't lose; quite rich hearing the spirit of the game nonsense from you lot. Dhoni not walking, Kallis given out so with the inside edge.
I just want all sportsmen to always ask themselves, "Why are they playing? What's the whole thing really about?" Forgive me, but "First, don't lose" cannot be a higher principle than "It's right there for the taking, the prize. Go for it with every ounce of strength you have got." It would be like Nadal/Federer/Djoko/Murray not giving their best at the Paris Masters Final because they know they might be stretching their chances to go all the way through in the French Open. How can it be? How can it be??

What are you on about? Not walking? Inside edge? Are you daft?

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I just want all sportsmen to always ask themselves, "Why are they playing? What's the whole thing really about?" Forgive me, but "First, don't lose" cannot be a higher principle than "It's right there for the taking, the prize. Go for it with every ounce of strength you have got." It would be like Nadal/Federer/Djoko/Murray not giving their best at the Paris Masters Final because they know they might be stretching their chances to go all the way through in the French Open. How can it be? How can it be??

yeah just a little slow on the uptake :(

smash84

The Tiger King

This is quite silly. You are missing out on the larger picture. Arachnodouche very rightly pointed out that going into Durban SA still have a huge chance to win the series. They are still favorites to win. With 16 runs needed and 3 overs to go there was a real chance that Steyn, Morkel and Tahir get out if they go all out. There was at least one delivery every over which could have knocked over the tailenders. Add to that the pressure of the moment and the fact that Morkel was injured so there was a realistic chance that SA could lose the match. Once the match was lost there was no way SA could win the series. SA is the stronger side IMO and going into Durban without losing the last match they are favorites to win the series.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disagree with almost everything you've written there. Yes, we let a golden chance slip by bowling toothless in the second innings, but it was an outstanding performance for 4 days by a side which is ridiculously young, and elected to be steamrolled by the No. 1 side in the world. The fact that we almost pulled off a victory and were only denied by some incredible batting and admittedly bad bowling doesn't take away from the fact that we were overall the better side for 4 days.

We dominated the world no. 1 side for 4 days with a team of youngsters. How is it not a moral victory?

SA were extremely disappointing bar Philander, and AB + Faf. And I don't really care about all this legacy stuff, but don't you try and defend the decision. It defied logic. When the win is staring you in the face, and you hold the advantage, you dont chicken out like that. Even if it had been a target of 300, I'd have been equally critical. World records are trivial. They had the chance to go 1-0 up and pretty much kill India's confidence. They chose not to do it when they easily could have

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

This is quite silly. You are missing out on the larger picture. Arachnodouche very rightly pointed out that going into Durban SA still have a huge chance to win the series. They are still favorites to win. With 16 runs needed and 3 overs to go there was a real chance that Steyn, Morkel and Tahir get out if they go all out.
Let's be honest. SA losing 3 wickets at the stage was a very, very minute minute possibility. No one watching the game at that stage would have though India had a realistic chance to win

smash84

The Tiger King
Let's be honest. SA losing 3 wickets at the stage was a very, very minute minute possibility. No one watching the game at that stage would have though India had a realistic chance to win
One more wicket down and the pressure on SA would have been immense. They know their choking pedigree pretty well. There was a reasonable chance that if they tried to hit out (which they had to in order to win) then wickets could tumble. Why risk it when you know you can fight another day and win the jackpot?

harsh.ag

This is quite silly. You are missing out on the larger picture. Arachnodouche very rightly pointed out that going into Durban SA still have a huge chance to win the series. They are still favorites to win. With 16 runs needed and 3 overs to go there was a real chance that Steyn, Morkel and Tahir get out if they go all out. There was at least one delivery every over which could have knocked over the tailenders. Add to that the pressure of the moment and the fact that Morkel was injured so there was a realistic chance that SA could lose the match. Once the match was lost there was no way SA could win the series. SA is the stronger side IMO and going into Durban without losing the last match they are favorites to win the series.
I don't agree with you on this. I think what SA did, and what Arachnodouche is saying is the silly part. You don't get into sporting moments like that and play not to lose, especially if you are a champion side. And I think the occasion also matters, who are we kidding? The World Cup is not the same as Benson and Hedges Cup. The win here would have added a lot to South African cricket history.

harsh.ag

Exactly. I am not saying there was a zero probability of SA losing had they gone for it. But the probability was way higher for them to win. They could have just taken singles and won. No big hitting was required.

Why would you keep hitting out after you lose a wicket?
Touche.

OverratedSanity

One more wicket down and the pressure on SA would have been immense. They know their choking pedigree pretty well. There was a reasonable chance that if they tried to hit out (which they had to in order to win) then wickets could tumble. Why risk it when you know you can fight another day and win the jackpot?
FFS why do people keep saying SA needed to hit out? NO THEY DIDNT.
They needed 16 off 18 balls with a spread out field. They just needed to nudge and get a couple of twos which wouldn't have been difficult . That would have brought it down to a handful off the final over. They didn't even TRY to get closer to the target.

And you mentioned them being worried about being unfairly branded chokers again, and that affected them. It did . But it shouldn't have. They let that irrational panic get in the way of them playing normal cricket

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Why would you keep hitting out after you lose a wicket?
In trying to hit out Philander gets out. You're in trouble now, even if you stop hitting out. Next comes Tahir who is pretty bad with the bat and gets rolled over by a Shami yorker or edges a good one outside off to the keeper since he probably will play for it, Then comes out an injured Morkel. The pressure is relentless.

I don't agree with you on this. I think what SA did, and what Arachnodouche is saying is the silly part. You don't get into sporting moments like that and play not to lose, especially if you are a champion side. And I think the occasion also matters, who are we kidding? The World Cup is not the same as Benson and Hedges Cup. The win here would have added a lot to South African cricket history.
You could end up with the Sachin 136 tag as well. Great innings surely but ended in defeat after getting so close. Heartbreaking.

smash84

The Tiger King
FFS why do people keep saying SA needed to hit out? NO THEY DIDNT.
They needed 16 off 18 balls with a spread out field. They just needed to nudge and get a couple of twos which wouldn't have been difficult . That would have brought it down to a handful off the final over. They didn't even TRY to get closer to the target.
By hitting out I meant the pair of Philander and Steyn. Not everybody after that. Once Philander or Steyn get out, SA are in deep ****. That is what I meant.

harsh.ag

You could end up with the Sachin 136 tag as well. Great innings surely but ended in defeat after getting so close. Heartbreaking.
Sachin 136 I will respect far more than what happened in this test. I am sure you will agree :) So, heartbreak. That's what makes the sport great. Giving up adds nothing to the sport.

Last edited: