• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Pakistan

danish

U19 12th Man
Palvashay said:
And Raina hits...And hits...
...and Razzaq serves up crap...after crap.

P.S. whats Dhoni done to the back of his bat? I didn't know Reebok teamed up with Kookaburra.

Palvashay

Cricket Spectator
danish said:
...and Razzaq serves up crap...after crap.

P.S. whats Dhoni done to the back of his bat? I didn't know Reebok teamed up with Kookaburra.
LOL...Sprinkle or more like DUMP more salt on the wounds =D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Raina hits the winning runs and a series victory for India :)

That takes away a bit of the pain from the test series loss.

danish

U19 12th Man
Jono said:
That takes away a bit of the pain from the test series loss.
An understatement- people in the subcontinent have now forgotten about the test series. Even more annoying, Pakistan have dropped to 4th or possibly 5th in the ODI Championship.

Raina performed very well at the end of the match, but I don't think he can be judged yet, considering the bull that the Pakistani bowlers were giving him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, it doesn't matter how many people on the sub-continent have forgotten about the test series loss, test matches are the real thing and matter far more than ODI cricket. If given the choice, I would have rathered India win the test series (even if it was only 1-0 because of the disgraceful pitches in the first 2 tests) and lose the ODI series. Even if India go on to win 4-1, it'll never replace a test series, no matter how close the World Cup is.

adharcric

International Coach
Pathan and RP SIngh have had excellent figures and Agarkar has has decent figures in this series and in the past few series as well. I think we can all agree that Sreesanth was quite impressive and his figures can be ignored for the most part. Zaheer Khan isn't very menacing at all right now. Pathan, RP Singh, Sreesanth and Agarkar should be retained in the one-day team. Munaf Patel and Vikram Singh should compete for the final seamer spot.

Among the batsmen, Yuvraj, Dhoni and Dravid have been unstoppable over the past few series. Tendulkar seems to be back in form now and Sehwag played a good knock here as well. Kaif was in splendid form before his injury a few months ago and has been in awesome domestic form lately too, so it should be a matter of time till he regains his touch at the international level. He's the only concern at the moment. Raina loooked brilliant, I dare say his drives are even more elegant than those of Yuvraj .. he'll be a mainstay in this lineup.

Bhajji should be back against England and hopefully Powar is preferred to Kartik. If Gambhir doesn't produce a big knock in his next few one-day opportunities, he should perhaps be replaced by someone else.

Dravid, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Kaif, Yuvraj, Raina, Gambhir, Dhoni, Pathan, Munaf/VRV, Agarkar, RP Singh, Sreesanth, Harbhajan, Powar

danish

U19 12th Man
Jono said:
Nah, it doesn't matter how many people on the sub-continent have forgotten about the test series loss, test matches are the real thing and matter far more than ODI cricket. If given the choice, I would have rathered India win the test series (even if it was only 1-0 because of the disgraceful pitches in the first 2 tests) and lose the ODI series. Even if India go on to win 4-1, it'll never replace a test series, no matter how close the World Cup is.
That's the attitude that most people living outside the subcontinent share, but in the subcontinent, ODIs are the 'real' thing as you probably know. The only reason that I wanted Pakistan to win the ODI series more than the test series is that winning the ODI series would cement Pakistan's place at number 2 in the ODI championship. Apart from that, a test series win is the same as an one day series win for me.
On an unrelated note, how can it be that the entire Pakistani top order and the whole bowling attack, from being contenders to the might of Australia have sunk to being compared of the inconsistent batting line-up of previous Pakistani teams, and the bowling attack is now considered inferior to that of India. No offence to the Indian team, but before the tour, India's bowlers were considered benign and non-threatening. Surprisingly, the two greatest threats in Harbajan and Kumble played no part in India's victory. The Indian team deserve a lot of credit, and the Pakistan team deserves whatever they get get from the media.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, I rate cricketing events thus:

1. World Cup
2. Test Series against Australia/England/Pakistan
3. ODI Series against Australia/England/Pakistan
4. All other ODI
5. All other tests
And I love test cricket! Most people in the subcontinent rate:

1. World Cup
2. ODI Series against Australia/England/Pakistan
3. All other ODI
4. Test Series against Australia/England/Pakistan
5. All other tests
Tests are easily way at the bottom of the list.

Why do you think India plays fewer tests than most countries?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Money.

Whilst I understand the point you guys are making, I sure as hell know that the test series win India had over Australia in 2001 had much bigger impact on cricket in the sub-continent than say for example their ODI Sharjah tri-series over Australia in 1998.

ODIs are forgotten in no time. Does anyone remember Pakistan beating India in the Champions Trophy match not too long ago to pretty much knock them out? See what I mean.

Palvashay

Cricket Spectator
Jono said:
Money.

Whilst I understand the point you guys are making, I sure as hell know that the test series win India had over Australia in 2001 had much bigger impact on cricket in the sub-continent than say for example their ODI Sharjah tri-series over Australia in 1998.

ODIs are forgotten in no time. Does anyone remember Pakistan beating India in the Champions Trophy match not too long ago to pretty much knock them out? See what I mean.
From a purely cricketing point of view, I agree with you, but us desis are an emotional bunch of folks, and this loss will adversely affect the morale of the team.
Sure alot flaws have come to the fore, but any good peformances (like Salman Butt's 100 in the first ODI, Sami's 3 wickets under pressure) are forgotten. Now the name-calling, coach-swearing and egg-throwing shall start...Not the best frame of mind you want to be in given that we're facing Sri Lanka in a little over a month...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah see I agree but I don't think that's quite relevant to ODI and test cricket, but rather to whats occurred most recently.

Look at the flip side, India's tour of Pakistan back in 2004 had the 5 ODIs first followed by the 3 tests. Now I know India won them both, but imagine Pakistan wont the best of 5 ODI series and lost the test series 3-0. I'm sure there would be calls for players' heads, mass criticism etc. even though it is test cricket.

As far as I'm concerned, the World Cup, the Champions Trophy (to a far far far lesser extent) and possibly the Australian tri-series (VB Series) are the only ODI tournaments that really matter, and are remembered if the team wins. For example, India lost a lot of tri-series in recent times. Asia Cup, Indian Oil Cup (Sri Lanka, WI, Ind series), tri-series in Zimbabwe with NZ also in it etc. All those finals where India lost, whilst making Indian fans upset, were forgotten a little later when India happened to beat Sri Lanka in the ODI series. Now once India were 4-0 up, the 3 other ODIs didn't matter that much. I mean who remembers the 5th ODI where Sri Lanka actually won a game? Hardly anyone.

There's just so many ODIs going around now-a-days they aren't ALL that important. Don't get me wrong, everytime India goes on to win a ODI or more importantly a series/tri-series I'll be happy (as I'm happy that they've defeated Pakistan :)). But a test series goes down in the record books and is remembered. When you look at the history and rivalry of Pakistan which is building, we think about the classic 2 test series in 1999 and the 3rd test in teh Asian Test championship that same year. Then we think about the 2-1 series in 2004 and the 1-1 drawn series in 2005. We don't bring up random ODI matches unless they are very very special (World Cup 2003, 1st ODI in 2004 etc.)

Anyway bed time for myself. Once again I'm absolutely delighted with India's victory tonight. I think the best thing during this series hasn't exactly been the Indian batting, despite it being excellent, but the Indian bowling which has continued to improve with the new-look bowling attack doing well. Hopefully this continues against England in both forms of the game.

Palvashay

Cricket Spectator
Jono said:
Yeah see I agree but I don't think that's quite relevant to ODI and test cricket, but rather to whats occurred most recently.

Look at the flip side, India's tour of Pakistan back in 2004 had the 5 ODIs first followed by the 3 tests. Now I know India won them both, but imagine Pakistan wont the best of 5 ODI series and lost the test series 3-0. I'm sure there would be calls for players' heads, mass criticism etc. even though it is test cricket.

As far as I'm concerned, the World Cup, the Champions Trophy (to a far far far lesser extent) and possibly the Australian tri-series (VB Series) are the only ODI tournaments that really matter, and are remembered if the team wins. For example, India lost a lot of tri-series in recent times. Asia Cup, Indian Oil Cup (Sri Lanka, WI, Ind series), tri-series in Zimbabwe with NZ also in it etc. All those finals where India lost, whilst making Indian fans upset, were forgotten a little later when India happened to beat Sri Lanka in the ODI series. Now once India were 4-0 up, the 3 other ODIs didn't matter that much. I mean who remembers the 5th ODI where Sri Lanka actually won a game? Hardly anyone.

There's just so many ODIs going around now-a-days they aren't ALL that important. Don't get me wrong, everytime India goes on to win a ODI or more importantly a series/tri-series I'll be happy (as I'm happy that they've defeated Pakistan :)). But a test series goes down in the record books and is remembered. When you look at the history and rivalry of Pakistan which is building, we think about the classic 2 test series in 1999 and the 3rd test in teh Asian Test championship that same year. Then we think about the 2-1 series in 2004 and the 1-1 drawn series in 2005. We don't bring up random ODI matches unless they are very very special (World Cup 2003, 1st ODI in 2004 etc.)

Anyway bed time for myself. Once again I'm absolutely delighted with India's victory tonight. I think the best thing during this series hasn't exactly been the Indian batting, despite it being excellent, but the Indian bowling which has continued to improve with the new-look bowling attack doing well. Hopefully this continues against England in both forms of the game.
Again...I agree =) Congrats on a brilliant series.

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
And thats the end.. who would have backed Pakistan to win the test series but still lose the ODI tournament at the beginning of the tour. Well done India!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I predict the series 3-2 in India's favor..
:cool: :cool:

I guess I was the first one in this thread to predict an Indian win. Anyways Great bowling performance by Indian bowlers..It was dissapoint to see Kaif and Gambhir getting out early as I would have liked to see them bat little more.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Well played India and congratz on series win. Our batters seriously let us down in the three matches and some bowlers too.

immyakhtar

Cricket Spectator
yeh congrats to India. They played out of their skins. For me they won it due to their seam bowlers and strength down the order. Especially, Yuvraj Singh. For me he is under-rated. He's got ridiculous potential. Him and Dhoni are some players which need a lot of credit for India winning the series. By the way, who is better Akmal or Dhoni????
I leave on that note

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
Jono said:
There still would have been the negativity anyway. Australia were using Hopes as their super-sub (bits and pieces), and sometimes Hogg who can be classified as a bowler who can bat. People still didn't like the rule.

Anyway brilliant bowling by India. RP Singh continues to bowl brilliantly. He really is a talent and should never.... EVER have been left out for the first two ODIs based on his impressive ODI record already. Stupid move there by the selectors. Pathan has been in great form in the past few matches, and its good to see Sreesanth not only get a wicket but keep it tight as well. India need to scalp Inzy now, that's the key wicket.

Yay he got a wicket. But boo he's the only bowler going at over 5 an over. ;)
Yep, in his utterly worthless spell he had one genuine good ball and thankfully for India that got the scalp of Yousuf, otherwise the pressure that Pathan, Sreesanth and RP had created was being gifted away by AA.