• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Is a batting allrounder for the 6/7 position really more important than covering the top order?
No, it isn't.

If Latham or Blundell goes down half an hour before the game - ala McGrath 05 - what's the order? BJ to open and keep? Kane to walk out against the new ball? I don't get it. If a middle order player goes down, like Nicholls and you've included Young over Mitchell, then Young can bat five. Easy. The only reason for Mitchell being picked as cover if CdG goes down, he really doesn't solve any other problem.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The crater test was so good
I mean, the crater was funny (especially because I remember it convinced a particularly excitable sports journo that Vettori had developed a doosra), but otherwise it was a desperately boring match.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
No, it isn't.

If Latham or Blundell goes down half an hour before the game - ala McGrath 05 - what's the order? BJ to open and keep? Kane to walk out against the new ball? I don't get it. If a middle order player goes down, like Nicholls and you've included Young over Mitchell, then Young can bat five. Easy. The only reason for Mitchell being picked as cover if CdG goes down, he really doesn't solve any other problem.
it's in Wellington so SOS Luke Woodcock

jcas0167

International Debutant
Nicholls could presumably open too if one of the openers gets injured on the day. Although how good would it be if Power Papps was at the ground and got drafted in?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah not sure why anyone would take that forecast in a disheartened direction. I know February is usually nice, but I probably wouldn't want to spin the wheel again, let's put it that way.

Unfortunately the only NZ forecast accepted on CW is a real time traffic camera from a highway close to the ground.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nicholls could presumably open too if one of the openers gets injured on the day. Although how good would it be if Power Papps was at the ground and got drafted in?
He could, but he's an incredibly good Test #5 - why bugger with that? To me, it's Young answers more questions, so he's the better squad member.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm sounds like an idea that would have some 'policy wonk' merits to it (left/right combos, Taylor being a nervy starter and someone who loves to cut off a really tight line, etc.), but one that Taylor would view as dinky, inelegant and slightly insulting, and that then probably supersedes what you were trying to gain.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
NZ is the only country where average 2nd innings score (417 ) is much higher than 1st (276) since 2016. Whereas India last won an overseas test fielding first in 2010 against SL. Would be very interesting decision at toss considering India's inability to chase even modest score in the 4th innings overseas in recent times.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ is the only country where average 2nd innings score (417 ) is much higher than 1st. Whereas India last won an overseas test fielding first in 2010 against SL. Would be very interesting decision at toss considering India's inability to chase even modest score in the 4th innings overseas in recent times.
India would be the first team to elect to bat first at the Basin in 36 first-class games.

Here's the most recent one:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
**** weather in town yesterday and today. Hoping to get better next couple of days. If the weather stays like this both the teams will want to bowl first.

vandem

International 12th Man
I don't think anybody is seriously considering batting first at the Basin, unless the ground staff have forgotten to water the wicket for the last month and the grass is dead.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Draw at $4.70. Not a bad shout, given the propensity for Basin wickets to turn into featherbeds and the probability of bad weather at some point.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The in-play bet for the draw in a Basin Test is no longer the shrewder way to go? I suppose the local TAB in particular would become slightly too clever for this, from the McCullum 302 on.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Any thoughts on what sort of pitches would suit NZ more against this Indian outfit? More to the point, I'm not sure that the slow decks and attritional cricket we saw in the England series would be a great idea against this opposition. Better bowlers with the old ball than England's and may also bring Jadeja/Ashwin into play which NZ have never been that comfortable with. Also, the likes of Pujara would be perfectly fine with that sort of a surface. The other school of thought seems to be just give their bowlers nothing to work with and force their batsmen into impatience which NZ's attack is capable of.