• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Nishant

International 12th Man
Your views on why India lost this series?
in all honesty......the main problem has been the fielding TBH....many games early on were lost due to this factor....india gave away 30+ runs in the field which does make a big difference.

Secondly....india look a confused one day outfit ATM...they dont know what their best side is or who should be playing in the side...although they seem to have worked out the order....i like the opening combination and the team does look good on paper....but they lack consistency with the bat....they are definitely reliant on a few players to do the bulk of the scoring.

As for the bowling....there are 2 word that could have contributed towards the loss in this series:

AJIT and AGARKAR

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm trying to remember the last time you saw something positive in an England side :ph34r:
Probably my last post when I listed a whole list of plusses to come out of this series - IIRC 8 out of the 11players who featured today. You know, the stuff you snipped .. 8-)

Beyond that, I think you're confusing 'negative' with 'objective'. wadr.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
The Indian media has to stop crying over umpiring decisions. If you want to bring in technology to get the decisions right, well Dravid still would have been given out as the snicko confirmed since nothing else was close to the bat except the ball itself so saying replays clearly showed he didn't edge the ball is completely wrong.

As far Tendulkar dismissal, he was unlucky, more so because his bat hit the pad at the same time the ball went past it, so unlucky because in this case most of the times you'll be given out anyway because you, as the umpire no matter how good/bad you are, quickly think when you hear the sound that it's got to be an edge.

Surprisingly, no one is complaining about the plumb LBW to Dhoni that wasn't given out and the outside edge when Uthappa was batting 8-)

TheGreatAusie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Here is a question for our Indian board members, Why do the Indian selectors have so much faith in Agarkar?.
How long is a piece of string?

Anyway, the series was a great watch... well done to England in sealing the ODI series, equally a well done to India for winning a test series away from home. A nicely balanced outcome to a great contest.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Because he was pretty decent uptil this series. I remember him being our best bowler in the ODI series against WI last year.
he is a has-been, has been one for several years, but for 1. the quirks and vagaries of bcci team selection and 2. a general absence of talent in the pace department until very recently, the guy would've been shelved a long time ago and would've been forgotten by now except by the aaas...:)

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Because he was pretty decent uptil this series. I remember him being our best bowler in the ODI series against WI last year.
I feel it is the last time I see AA playing for India, unless there are injuries for Indian pacers. selectors will no more go for him, I am sure on that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Congrats England, thoroughly outplayed India in the decider. I think the ability of the England quicks to work up decent pace and bounce on that Lords track (Gooch made the point in commentary that he could never remember a Lords track that bounced so much, and it was quick bounce, not the tennis ball variety) and the inability of the Indians to handle it competently was where we lost the game. Dar made a couple of poor decisions ( in fact, 3, because Uthappa looked to be out) but to blame the loss on him would be stupid. England have done well here but I tend to agree with the observations that was made in this thread sometime back by a couple of other members, that this was a series between two mediocre sides and England have proved to be the better one. I honestly don't see either of these two teams being anywhere near the top 3 in the near future as far as ODIs go...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I think England have got the makings of pretty good ODI side. They need Andrew Flintoff fully fit though ...he makes an enormous difference coming on as first change and need to sort out their opening combinations.

I think India need to really re-think their approach to ODI cricket. You're not going to win matches consistently anymore purely on the skill of your batting.
I think this team needs an fusion of young, fresh legs for the fielding department and an allrounder or two to ensure flexibility when they bowl.
Really I think India should count themselves lucky that they only lost 4-3 because it's pretty obvious they have glaring weaknesses.

It would be interesting to see if any of the big three decide to actually quit the ODI game ......will their egos permit it ? They've all had their chance ....I think they should gracefully step aside to give younger guys like UThappa, Tiwary, Rohit Shrama and Badrinath a chance.
Oh and if Agarkar ever plays for India beyond the 20-20 WC, it will be nothing short of a complete farce.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Does anyone else think that Gambhir just does not look international class as a batsman ?
I was surprised that Rohit Sharma was continually left out for him.

irfan

State Captain
Does anyone else think that Gambhir just does not look international class as a batsman ?
I was surprised that Rohit Sharma was continually left out for him.
Haven't seen enough of Sharma to confirm he is better but Gambhir certainly doesn't look international class and is really a very poor man's Hayden (minus the horizontal bat strokes) in the sense that he will only cash in when the conditions and the pitch is perfect.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I think England have got the makings of pretty good ODI side. They need Andrew Flintoff fully fit though ...he makes an enormous difference coming on as first change and need to sort out their opening combinations.

I think India need to really re-think their approach to ODI cricket. You're not going to win matches consistently anymore purely on the skill of your batting.
I think this team needs an fusion of young, fresh legs for the fielding department and an allrounder or two to ensure flexibility when they bowl.
Really I think India should count themselves lucky that they only lost 4-3 because it's pretty obvious they have glaring weaknesses.

It would be interesting to see if any of the big three decide to actually quit the ODI game ......will their egos permit it ? They've all had their chance ....I think they should gracefully step aside to give younger guys like UThappa, Tiwary, Rohit Shrama and Badrinath a chance.
Oh and if Agarkar ever plays for India beyond the 20-20 WC, it will be nothing short of a complete farce.
Flintoff: needs to be in the team, but should be looked only as a bowler who is handy with the bat. It throws everything off when he is batting above Shah and Bopara and creates unecessary pressure for those below him. Same is also applicable to Agarkar.

Young ad old players? Isn't what they have at the moment?
Old: Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid, Khan, Agarkar, Powar
Mid: Yuvraj, Dhoni
Young: Chawla, Uthappa, Gambhir, Karthik

For the all-rounder position, I think that thing has been talked to death. But it was disappointing for Chawla not to be more prominent in the run scoring department. He has had good success when playing under 19s in a number 7/8 position. I know its a different game, but the potential is there.

The big three...egos? They have no reason to call it a day whatsoever. Gnaguly and Tendulkar showed that they still got it and Dravid just had an average series. What the team is doing now isn't all that bad, its a transitional period for Indian cricket and the drafting of tyounger players is coming along at a good rate. Guys like Chawla, Gambhir, Karthik, Uthappa and co are all India's future and it is not wise to flood the whole team with youngsters for the sake of it. Most of the guys mentioned previously have done well at List A level and now with a good number of ODIs under their belts, they can slowly become regulars in the team.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i am looking forward to the 2020....i will showcase some of india's young players...hopefully they come good and perhaps they will be used in the ODI sides too, so we dont have the problems we had during this series.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
On another note. I really do hope that Dimi's case will be something like Hussey's. Obviously, probably not as prosperous, but someone at his age making an impact at the intenrational level would be good.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
i am looking forward to the 2020....i will showcase some of india's young players...hopefully they come good and perhaps they will be used in the ODI sides too, so we dont have the problems we had during this series.
I was looking forward to it too, but the novelty has arleady come off for me. I'm not 20/20 is BS type of person, but it already seems to have lost its falvour.

The only good thing that can hopefully come out of it is that it may attract more and younger fans to the game, and hopefully they can make the progress to the spectacle which is Test cricket.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I was looking forward to it too, but the novelty has arleady come off for me. I'm not 20/20 is BS type of person, but it already seems to have lost its falvour.

The only good thing that can hopefully come out of it is that it may attract more and younger fans to the game, and hopefully they can make the progress to the spectacle which is Test cricket.
yh....this WC should really be a bit of fun TBH.....hopefully it may give us the exciting WC we never had earlier this year and so attract > ppl towards cricket!

Mermaidman

Cricket Spectator
Don't get me wrong I was not critisizing Agarkar's ability it is just that everytime India tour England he seems to be there or there abouts where as India drop quality like Harbhajan who is a world class bowler IMHO.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congrats England, thoroughly outplayed India in the decider. I think the ability of the England quicks to work up decent pace and bounce on that Lords track (Gooch made the point in commentary that he could never remember a Lords track that bounced so much, and it was quick bounce, not the tennis ball variety) and the inability of the Indians to handle it competently was where we lost the game. Dar made a couple of poor decisions ( in fact, 3, because Uthappa looked to be out) but to blame the loss on him would be stupid. England have done well here but I tend to agree with the observations that was made in this thread sometime back by a couple of other members, that this was a series between two mediocre sides and England have proved to be the better one. I honestly don't see either of these two teams being anywhere near the top 3 in the near future as far as ODIs go...

I do agree, they are both mediocre sides at the moment, but at least Englands side is young, and does show promise. Also we should improve once that idjit Pror gets dropped.