• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Cannot help but remember the optimism with which I looked forward to the last England tour! Could be a good series if we manage to win one of the first two tests, if we don't I foresee a summer of pain.

Also, have no clue how Aaron is preferred to Umesh. Umesh, Bhuvi and Shami would have been the perfect pace attack. Also would be interesting to see if Vijay can last the series out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Should be:

1)Dhawan
2)Vijay
3)Pujara
4)Kohli
5)Rahane
6)Dhoni
7)Ashwin
8)Jadeja
9)Bhuvi
10)Pandey/Pankaj
11)Shami

Will be:

1)Dhawan
2)Vijay
3)Pujara
4)Kohli
5)Rohit
6)Rahane
7)Dhoni
8)Jadeja
9)Bhuvi
10)Shami
11)Ishant

Ishant was always going to make the squad. His 6 for 2000 or whatever it was in NZ obviously sealed his spot. India are doomed with the second(likely) line-up. Bhuvi will be ineffective other than with the new ball, Ishant is Ishant, Jadeja is not going to bowl you to test wins in England...so India basically have a one man attack. And despite India doing reasonably well on the batting front in recent overseas tours, I am not too convinced. Pujara and Kohli aside, I am not sure that line-up will do great in England. Rohit Sharma in test cricket is a liability. I know he scored 2 tons vs WI in India and one of them was crucial IIRC, but in England (or similar conditions) he'll play a couple of pleasing drives and get out. I wasn't too sure about Rahane initially but he did very well in SA and NZ so he should be fine here.

Basically Ashwin instead of Rohit will not make a difference at all to the strength of the batting(as ludicrous as it may sound it may even make it stronger in English conditions....it won't weaken it anyway...Ashwin will scored the 20-30 that Rohit will) and while Ashwin may not have set the world on fire outside India, we must remember that he has only played in a handful of tests....(4 is it?)...3 in a place that is a graveyard for spinners and has been over the years...and a solitary test in SA. Surely it won't hurt to give him another 2 tests? India will need all the bowling they can get...they were on the cusp of 2 great overseas test wins (and possibly series too) only to be denied by some very great batting+poor bowling+poor captaincy. India will have to go with 5 bowlers. I suppose that was the rationale behind picking Binny. They probably want him as a third seamer and a number 7. Poor decision really, picking club level IPL trash for tests in England pfft. If his dad who is part of the selection panel had anything to do with it he should be sacked immediately. On the plus side, Mayanti Langer(Mrs.Stu Binny) will probably be going to England as well which can only be a good thing!

Prediction - India will push England in patches and something tells me they'll nick a win somewhere. Probably 3-1 England. Might see Gambhir in for Vijay/Dhawan after the 2nd or 3rd test too.
Dhoni at 6 in swinging conditions is suicide, surely?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I still remember how in an interview he said he didn't bowl too badly in England, while pointing to his one 4wh at Lords. Just couldn't believe the audacity.
He probably meant 'compared to everyone else'. The bowling at the Oval is amongst the worst I've ever seen.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Don't understand why Ishant has turned out to be such a flop... Seemed like he had everything in his natural physique

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't understand why Ishant has turned out to be such a flop... Seemed like he had everything in his natural physique
For how long are we going to say this? Another 10 years? We should just drop him and forget about him.. I keep telling this at the start of every series, but it never happens..

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
He is both gun barrel straight and unintelligent (if that is a word)

I remember when he dismissed Ponting roughly 5 years ago in Aussie - and the Indian press were eager to hear anyone tell them that he was the real deal. They pressed Ricky for his opinion and Ricky gave him the highest possible compliment an Aussie will give "yeah, he is good".
Therefore fooling India into picking him for the next 5 years. Very cunning Mister Ponting.
I stand by this.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Ishant only needs to deliver once in order to retain his spot for the next few years.

This will continue until there is a change at the top.