• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
But that doesn't mean it is a mistake to play defensively in the 8 over period.
it's not, certainly not as a general principle anyway, however dravid's current defensiveness has more to do with a lack of confidence(or a lack of form, however you want to put it) rather than any strategy not to lose wickets...anyway what's done is done, let's see how it goes for him tomorrow...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
let's wait and see what happens on the 4th day, shall we?
Being defensive tomorrow wouldn't prove any thing. All the defensive plays could be for different reasons - in the first inning, to get back to form, today to survive the 8 over period and tomorrow a team strategy to block one end up. I don't mind you criticising him for the first inning - for instance, Michael Slater held the view that the play was uncalled for as it meant the inning lost a bit of momentum. However, I wouldn't mind if he is defensive tomorrow and wouldn't say it is necessarily because of lack of confidence.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well purposefully playing defensive or attacking serves no purpose. If they bat for two days, they will win. If they don't, they won't win. The most masterful innings I saw in a chase was Ponting's 156 in 2005. Put the bad balls away, keep the good ones out. The scorecard will take care of itself. At the Test level, you should really be doing this all the time - but especially now.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
However, I wouldn't mind if he is defensive tomorrow and wouldn't say it is necessarily because of lack of confidence.
yes it would clearly be lack of form/confidence...it's not as if it's happening all of a sudden, he has been out of form for a while now....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
yes it would clearly be lack of form/confidence...it's not as if it's happening all of a sudden, he has been out of form for a while now....
It could be to block one end tomorrow. You can't know whether tomorrow is because of lack of confidence or a team strategy.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
just by seeing the way he bats, you can know whether it's lack of confidence or not...
Yeah if you analyze it like that, it is fair enough. I cannot always be sure but some times I can get an idea about the confidence level of players personally.

Cheers.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
That was a good declaration from Ponting. Willing to finish off the test match as early as possible...Hope Lee gets a 5 for in the 2nd inns