• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I think vijay's struggling a bit with the heat which is why he's looking to hit more boundaries if he can.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh, even if you filter for purely in matches when 2 or more ATG pacers were bowling, Gavaskar was still exceptional and better than pretty much anyone in the world at accumulating vs great quicks. You'd have to do an analysis like 'It was a hot day in Madras so his 236 in a series where Holding and Marshall took 60 wickets @ 20 doesn't count" to discount his record. He obviously doesn't average 70 vs. the absolute best WI attacks he faced but who does?

Gavaskar was also the only batsman with the technique to open the batting and score run-a-ball hundreds against the great WI attack.
I must admit, I've always held Gavaskar in the highest regard based on his 13 (IIRC) hundreds against the Windies, so taking that article with a pinch of salt. To counter that article, I've heard many opposition players from his era suggesting what you have.

Flem274*

123/5
If you open the batting you're not going to always have the prettiest record even if you're great. Look at the averages of great openers compared to great middle order batsmen.

Most of the 50+ opening batsmen I can think of played in ancient times. Gavaskar and Hayden the two modern 50+ guys. I'd have to double check Smith (who I regard as better than Hayden) and Sehwag.

Teja.

Global Moderator
If you open the batting you're not going to always have the prettiest record even if you're great. Look at the averages of great openers compared to great middle order batsmen.

Most of the 50+ opening batsmen I can think of played in ancient times. Gavaskar and Hayden the two modern 50+ guys. I'd have to double check Smith (who I regard as better than Hayden) and Sehwag.
What's admirable is that Gavaskar actually played at the worst possible time for an opener in cricket history and had a career significantly longer than Sehwag and Hayden. Their weaknesses which made them frustrating were also his strengths.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I must admit, I've always held Gavaskar in the highest regard based on his 13 (IIRC) hundreds against the Windies, so taking that article with a pinch of salt. To counter that article, I've heard many opposition players from his era suggesting what you have.
Yeah, fair enough. My bad but I often just get riled up when this 'myth' thing comes up because averaging 50 instead of 70 vs Marshall, Holding and bros is no disgrace.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is also the matter that it is difficult to score runs against genuine fast bowling, be it any great batsman. Against the best fast bowlers in a strong attack, not many have great records.

Flem274*

123/5
Well played Rahane.

Love his attitude. Always game to have a crack at the bowling but in a stylish way, even though it makes him look like a goof at times.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This partnership will have to cash in and they are doing a good job of that. There is not much batting to come after this. Rohit Sharma is as useless as Dhawan in Australia. Actually, I bet on Dhoni to make more runs than Rohit in this series, including the first test. Rohit to fail, Dhoni and Ashwin to forge a 50 partnership and then the remaining wickets to fall within 20 runs. So, I just expect 70 more runs to be added to the score if any wicket falls in this partnership.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Rahane's so pleasing on the eye when he plays his shots, even if he gets in a tangle sometimes. Still remember 2 sixes of his one in Wellington after he got to his 100 and one against Anderson @ Lords. Just godlike