• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excuse me, but "nominally"? Isn't that just a buzzword that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that....I'm banned, aren't I?
No, nominally is a word dumb people don't know the meaning of.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What did you think Spark meant when he used the word 'nominally'?

Or did you just pretend that word didn't appear in that sentence?
Thought it would've been updated to represent that for some reason. :oops:

Yeah, I know what nominally is, ****.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think people (esp the Indian media) are being harsh on the 2nd innings collapse too. Alright, Sachin's wicket was a bit silly (falling to Clarke is silly by definition) but he got a good nut. Laxman got a borderline unplayable ball, Kohli got a grubber that he had absolute no hope of keeping out and Dhoni's was a bit of a freak dismissal too.
Dhoni can't play Test cricket.

I'd back Chris Martin to last longer against the new ball.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhoni can't play Test cricket.

I'd back Chris Martin to last longer against the new ball.
He can't play defensive cricket for long against attacking fields in any form. Used to have much more success in tests when he just slogged at the beginning of his career.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He can't play defensive cricket for long against attacking fields in any form. Used to have much more success in tests when he just slogged at the beginning of his career.
His problem in England wasn't defensive technique, it was playing innapropriate shots.

Shri

Mr. Glass
His problem in England wasn't defensive technique, it was playing innapropriate shots.
Gets bogged down because of the fields set in tests and doesn't take as much singles and doubles as he does in ODIs and eventually hits one straight to the fielder. Doesn't have the temperament or the technique to play a long gritty test innings. Should just bat at 8/9 and try and smash every ball Harbhajan Singh style.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gets bogged down because of the fields set in tests and doesn't take as much singles and doubles as he does in ODIs and eventually hits one straight to the fielder. Doesn't have the temperament or the technique to play a long gritty test innings. Should just bat at 8/9 and try and smash every ball Harbhajan Singh style.
Promote Ashwin? :p

Shri

Mr. Glass
Probable team for the next Australian away tour:

G Gambhir
A Mukund
A Rahane
R Sharma
C Pujara
S Badrinath
D Karthik / U Kaul / N Ojha / R Uthappa / P Patel [Wk]
R Ashwin [C]
P Kumar
I Sharma
U Yadav

Result 3-1 Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
He should then probably resign as captain because **** me that'd be a bad look.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But he did that in England.

SeamUp

International Coach
Some interesting views from former players

"I would still drop VVS [Laxman] and get Rohit [Sharma] in for next Test. Makes long-term sense. Give Virat [Kohli] one more Test ... just to be sure he does not belong here. VVS averages 20 in last 12 overseas innings. Even if he gets a good score in next Test, it will not serve India long. Also if Virat, before the tour, was India's next big thing, should he not get more than two Tests on his first stint in Australia?"
Commentator and former India batsman,Sanjay Manjrekar.

"We can't always think short-term. We need to start building a team as well. Sachin [Tendulkar] still has the class, Rahul [Dravid] is very hard working but I am not sure how long Laxman will be able to continue. You can't phase out all the three seniors at a time. You have to do that gradually. The youngsters will learn only in the company of the seniors."
Anshuman Gaekward, former India opener and coach.

"I would play both Virat and Rohit in Perth. You should let Virat play. He should be given more chances. If you drop him now, he will not enjoy his cricket anymore."
Kiran More, former India wicketkeeper and former selector

"I am sure many in this team now must be fearful of their future. Many don't have the backfoot play to ride over the pace, bounce and movement of these tracks. Nor do they have the patience to let deliveries outside off stump go harmlessly to the keeper ... The visitors need to break the mould in which they presently are trapped. Do they need to go for a change of personnel? They do. Rohit Sharma must be given an opportunity.
Ravi Shastri, commentator and former India allrounder

"The pendulum has shifted. Indian cricket must be bold and be prepared to lose with younger players. Let them learn the ropes. There is no point losing with declining giants."
Maninder Singh, former India offspinner

"The bitter truth is that we don't have new champion players who can take up the mantle. We might have left the best behind. We've been spoilt by success in the past 10-12 years. The big batting guns have long covered up other shortcomings but they are nearing the end. The increased dependence on Tendulkar after more than two decades is a sign of poverty."
Dilip Vengsarkar, former India captain and former chairman of selectors

"If you need to, play Dravid lower down and give the future No. 3 a go, maybe [Cheteshwar] Pujara. Play [Virender] Sehwag lower down if need be. Nothing is set in stone. We not only lack spirit and attitude but also the skill to adjust our technique. Our captain desperately needs ideas too."
Former India opener Chetan Chauhan

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Disappointing times. Rohit needs to get a few chances in place of Laxman, and I'd consider Rahane for one of the openers in the final test ... though neither of these changes are likely.