• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pitching it up is going to be good with the new ball and on wickets doing a bit, but I'd be interested to know what McDermott has instructed the bowlers to do on absolute roads.
Do what you do on every pitch? Try and build pressure.

benchmark00

Which tbf worked first over of the ashes.

hey remember when we picked doherty in a test match, and some people thought it was the right call. those were the days...
Remember when we picked Hilfenhaus was picked for a test match and someone thought it was a bad idea??

Spikey

****. starc will play for lyon and take 14 wickets and hurt another 3. hilf will be credited for 'pressure building'.

Ruckus

International Captain
I like it when bowlers on very flat wickets do more than just trying to build pressure and force an error though. I was really impressed with Hilf's use of offcutters and attacking the stumps of someone like Dravid, because he was doing more than just building pressure - he was really trying to mix things up and get the ball to do something (even if very subtly) on an essentially lifeless wicket. It's the same mentality Harris had on flat wickets in SL. When the ball was old the other bowlers like Copeland and Johnson looked to sort of just be going through the motions (which was ok, because they were building pressure and bowling tight lines), but when Harris came on he really looked like he was trying to hit the seam hard, skid the ball of the surface with pace and get a genuine edge etc.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like it when bowlers on very flat wickets do more than just trying to build pressure and force an error though. I was really impressed with Hilf's use of offcutters and attacking the stumps of someone like Dravid, because he was doing more than just building pressure - he was really trying to mix things up and get the ball to do something (even if very subtly) on an essentially lifeless wicket. It's the same mentality Harris had on flat wickets in SL. When the ball was old the other bowlers like Copeland and Johnson looked to sort of just be going through the motions (which was ok, because they were building pressure and bowling tight lines), but when Harris came on he really looked like he was trying to hit the seam hard, skid the ball of the surface with pace and get a genuine edge etc.
Building pressure doesn't mean just bowling straight up and down on a line that is more difficult to get away though. You build pressure on a flat deck exactly the same way you do on one that has a bit of life in it. By getting it in the right areas and seeing if you can move it around a bit. Hilf's apparently improved greatly i his ability to use the crease when not much is happening in the deck. It's such an obvious option when the deck isn't doing much that you have to wonder why it takes someone to point it out.

I'd say the difference between Harris and the other two comes down to ability, it's not like Copeland and Johnson could bowl exactly the same way as Harris and just chose not to. You won't get a bloke like Johnson, who scrambles the seam and struggles to get something out of anything but the best conditions, tearing it up on a flat deck very often.

Last edited:

Spikey

MY CHANGES TO THE TEAM:

Haddin out Nev in
Marsh out Rohrer in
Lyon out Starc in

Thoughts?