• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Ruckus

International Captain
Building pressure doesn't mean just bowling straight up and down on a line that is more difficult to get away though. You build pressure on a flat deck exactly the same way you do on one that has a bit of life in it. By getting it in the right areas and seeing if you can move it around a bit. Hilf's apparently improved greatly i his ability to use the crease when not much is happening in the deck. It's such an obvious option when the deck isn't doing much that you have to wonder why it takes someone to point it out.

I'd say the difference between Harris and the other two comes down to ability, it's not like Copeland and Johnson could bowl exactly the same way as Harris and just chose not to. You won't get a bloke like Johnson, who scrambles the seam and struggles to get something out of anything but the best conditions, tearing it up on a flat deck very often.
Well I was assuming the bolded part was what was basically meant by building pressure (it has a somewhat ambiguous meaning). Yeah I agree in part that is sometimes just comes down to ability (definately true in the Johnson vs Harris case), but I think sometimes bowlers can have a tendency on flat wickets to get overly caught up in doing exactly what you wrote in the bold part, and lose an attacking mindset...kind of waiting for the wicket to come, rather than searching for it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aus has bowled well but its been an equal case of India batting poorly. Watch Melbourne 2nd innings I could atleast count 7 dismissals where its the batsman who has given it away sure its not always the delivery that gets the wicket tat matters the setup to the wicket also plays a part but you expect such legendary batsman to absorb a period of pressure cricket. There is no doubt in mind the Indian legends are in a decline and are making a good bowling attack look great.
Can accept the openers are a bit out of sorts but not buying it at all with regards 3-6. They're hitting the ball fine, just been undone by excellent bowling and strong plans.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Can accept the openers are a bit out of sorts but not buying it at all with regards 3-6. They're hitting the ball fine, just been undone by excellent bowling and strong plans.
Yeah that's a really good point actually.

I've seen nothing to suggest that Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman aren't in very good form.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think people (esp the Indian media) are being harsh on the 2nd innings collapse too. Alright, Sachin's wicket was a bit silly (falling to Clarke is silly by definition) but he got a good nut. Laxman got a borderline unplayable ball, Kohli got a grubber that he had absolute no hope of keeping out and Dhoni's was a bit of a freak dismissal too.

benchmark00

Dravid being bowled 3 times now (right?) might be a hint he is not in 100% top form.
Apparently Dravid has been bowled the second most times out of everyone in the history of test cricket, so nothing new.

He's looked pretty good. 200% better than he did last tour of Australia.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think people (esp the Indian media) are being harsh on the 2nd innings collapse too. Alright, Sachin's wicket was a bit silly (falling to Clarke is silly by definition) but he got a good nut. Laxman got a borderline unplayable ball, Kohli got a grubber that he had absolute no hope of keeping out and Dhoni's was a bit of a freak dismissal too.
That looked so funny in retrospect. Looked like he was giving Hilf catching practice or something.

Top_Cat

Dravid being bowled 3 times now (right?) might be a hint he is not in 100% top form.
Countering that, 3 tons in 4 Tests in a disastrous English tour and an excellent series at home to the WI all in the past 6 months. If he's lost form, it's virtually been overnight.

Top_Cat

Yeah that's a really good point actually.

I've seen nothing to suggest that Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman aren't in very good form.
Kohli too, tbh. Feet moving well, timing good, leaving the ball well too. Hence why he's been killing it in ODI's. He's just a soft ****.

Stapel

International Regular
Did you see the England series? We have played 3 tests between that and this tour. Not enough time to drop out of form.
Countering that, 3 tons in 4 Tests in a disastrous English tour and an excellent series at home to the WI all in the past 6 months. If he's lost form, it's virtually been overnight.
First of all, I only tried to say there is a small hint his form has dropped from 100% to 95%. So, I agree there is not too much to be worried about..

However, regardless of Dravid's from, I do think form can indeed change overnight. Both ways!

Top_Cat

First of all, I only tried to say there is a small hint his form has dropped from 100% to 95%. So, I agree there is not too much to be worried about..

However, regardless of Dravid's from, I do think form can indeed change overnight. Both ways!
Maybe but, in my opinion, he hasn't looked out of form.

Perhaps he's just not up to it in Australia? One series on ludicrously flat decks aside, he's been ordinary here.

Ruckus

International Captain
Excuse me, but "nominally"? Isn't that just a buzzword that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that....I'm banned, aren't I?