• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
So, in the Aus vs NZ test Siddle was also clocking 150kph. Yet Trent Boult, a no 10 batsman on debut who's only ever batted against NZ domestic bowlers who, at a guess, do not bowl 150kph, was pulling short of a length deliveries from him to the boundary without too much trouble. I just find it hard to trust speed guns when you see supposedly express pace deliveries being played like that.

Redbacks

International Captain
Haigh nails it:

By the BCCI's obduracy, and CA's complicity, cricket has arrived at a situation where what was out two weeks ago is not out today. In the meantime, Marais Erasmus is having a poor match. Erasmus the philosopher observed that the one-eyed man rules the kingdom of the blind; Erasmus the umpire appears to be demonstrating it.

Jacknife

International Captain
I believe the speedo. Siddle has hit 150 before on occasion, the Boxing Day test v South Africa at this ground in 2008 is the example which stands out in my mind, was regularly touching 150. Sharma clocked 154kph on his last tour of Australia too so his readings in this match aren't that unbelievable.
Sharma never hardly got a ball above 87mph only a few months ago and after watching Australia play only a few weeks ago, all the way through this test they seem to be all quite a few kph more than against NZ. It's always possible to ball a effort ball but everyone's pace seems to be consistently high from start to finish, not that it matters when it comes down to it but it's just a observation.
I remember in the Ashes in 2009 there was similar talk about a generous speedo, where everyone seemed to be over 90mph all the way through the series.

Redbacks

International Captain
If you exclude his fine innings at Newlands last month [this year]...Michael Clarke's average when he comes to the wicket when the score is fewer than 50 is 26, compared the rest of the time to 49.3.
Interesting. Probably a similar figure for the rest of our middle order.

Spark

Global Moderator
Interesting. Probably a similar figure for the rest of our middle order.
I genuinely don't see the point of stats like these.

"I mean, if you take out all the times someone does well, then he does badly! Who would have thunk it?"

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, some of Zaheer's best spells have come when he hasn't sent a single ball down over 130kph. The speedo doesn't mean anything for him.
True, but if you want to lop off 10kph for everyone else, then Zaheer was basically bowling left arm orthodox, and he wasn't.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain

"I mean, if you take out all the times someone does well, then he does badly! Who would have thunk it?"
True, it was only 1 innings at least. The stat is interesting in line with the overall observation that we are often 2 out all out of late.

One outcome of BatCamp™ was a brand new poster in the Aus dressing room: 'First 20 Balls'

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Also ignoring the fact that when he comes to the wicket at less than 50, it's probably a tricky pitch. So any surprises? No.

If there's anything than does my head in around here than the incessant discussions about speed, then I'm not aware of it yet.