• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Ausfanintoronto

Cricket Spectator
chasing 200+ or 300+ in india is comparatively much easier than doing the same in australia...depending on how long hussey and the tail wags, this could be all over tomorrow itself...
Yes but it does not mean that the match is in the bag. For the situation to fit that cliche India would have to be chasing a monumental target. The match is evenly poised at this point.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Factors in favour of India
Sehwag
Great middle order
Rookie Oz bowling attack

Factors against India
Batting collapses are quite commonplace
Added pressure of chases
Inability to put up big totals
Poor form of Dhoni and Gambhir
Rookie at number 6
Pattinson

Ausfanintoronto

Cricket Spectator
Factors in favour of India
Sehwag
Great middle order
Rookie Oz bowling attack

Factors against India
Batting collapses are quite commonplace
Added pressure of chases
Inability to put up big totals
Poor form of Dhoni and Gambhir
Rookie at number 6
Pattinson
Gambhir actually concerns me more than anyone....his ability to simply stay put can annoy the heck out of a bowler....As dangerous as Sehwag is, he gives you a few chances here and there....players like Gambhir and Dravid could stick it in and frustrate the likes of Pattinson and Lyon.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Sehwag is hardly brilliant in the 4th to say the least. Also the Aussie ground fielding will keep the pressure up. As rookie as the Aus attack might appear to be Hilf is doing the business, Pattinson had Sehwag tied up in knots in the first innings along with Dravid and Siddle's face remains terrifying.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If Gambhir ever gets dropped due to bad form/gets injured in this tour who will replace him? Mukund looks like a real prospect for the future but I would love to see Badri selected and make a name for himself playing for like another 5 years or so.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Gambhir actually concerns me more than anyone....his ability to simply stay put can annoy the heck out of a bowler....As dangerous as Sehwag is, he gives you a few chances here and there....players like Gambhir and Dravid could stick it in and frustrate the likes of Pattinson and Lyon.
Ya. At his best Gambhir is a player who camps at the crease and wont play a single loose shot all day. But on his current form, he seems to poke a lot at deliveries outside the off stump which is a very ODI/T20 thing to do.

Also trying to run the ball down to thirdman has gotten him into trouble and he attempts that a lot.He needs to make a conscious decision to leave anything outside the off stump. A good opening stand is what we are missing. In the last 5 innings away from home, the maximum opening stand between Viru and Gambhir is just 27 at an average of only 15. The inevitable early wicket is what is putting the pressure on the middle order and preventing India from putting big totals on the board.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Sehwag is hardly brilliant in the 4th to say the least. Also the Aussie ground fielding will keep the pressure up. As rookie as the Aus attack might appear to be Hilf is doing the business, Pattinson had Sehwag tied up in knots in the first innings along with Dravid and Siddle's face remains terrifying.
If Australia bowl anything like they bowled today morning then they are gonna take this one. Don't agree with the notion about Sehwag taking the game away. Don't think its that kind of a pitch which will allow him to dictate terms. The middle order has to do it if they are gonna get up there.

ganeshran

International Debutant
If Gambhir ever gets dropped due to bad form/gets injured in this tour who will replace him? Mukund looks like a real prospect for the future but I would love to see Badri selected and make a name for himself playing for like another 5 years or so.
Badri hasnt shown the temparement for International matches even though he performed wonderfully at the FC level. He got his chances (even though limited) and has moved down in the pecking order for selection, rightly IMO

I have much higher hopes from Mukund who made his debut in a difficult series (for batsmen) and actually adjusted his technique after he got out for low scores. The ability to bat to a game plan is a great talent to have in a budding batsmen.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
Have a feeling Kohli might be promoted up the order to 3/4 like we did with Pujara against Australia last year to disrupt Australia's bowling plans. Like in this game:

2nd Test: India v Australia at Bangalore, Oct 9-13, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

That move made the game a walk in the park in the end.
Yeh, good point. Dhoni talked about this a few times -- he thinks that there's a lot less pressure at 1-down, knowing that Tendulkar-Dravid-Laxman are yet to come, than at 5-down with only the tail to follow.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Yeh, good point. Dhoni talked about this a few times -- he thinks that there's a lot less pressure at 1-down, knowing that Tendulkar-Dravid-Laxman are yet to come, than at 5-down with only the tail to follow.
If that is the case obvious choice would be Kohli. But the difference here would be the conditions as Pujara was playing in India. I doubt that would be the case.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
I hope Australia will win, for Clarke's sake.He has been the most unlucky Australian captain of recent times.Loss of form of senior players,.injuries to key players,his on lack of form and what not?In this Test also luck has run against Australia(barring the Hussey chance).It is time Clarke gets his share of luck

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm glad you said this as I must admit the thought crossed my mind. The pedigree can't be argued with but there is a bit of a problem with India's batting at the moment. If Australia can set 300 I'd back them but at the same time wouldn't rule India out until the target reaches 400, which I don't see happening.

Should be a belter of a 4th innings tbf. Might have to pull an all-nighter tonight just in case it winds up being the final day.
People thought I was taking the piss but I was semi serious - you can't judge by what people did 5 ears ago. Indias batting form was atrocious in England. They are certainly not the best batting lineup on form - I would put them near the middle of the pack out of the Test playing countries. I agree that it's better than Australia's at the moment but not by nearly as much as the comparison on paper would suggest.

I would easily take England and SA right now on form. Frankly as I said early, after Dravid there is really not much and it doesn't take much to run thorough the lineup.

This isn't 2003.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The wierd thing about the Indian batting line up is that at different times during the year Dravid, Laxman and Sachin have done decently well but never seem to have clicked as a group.

Considering that on this pitch anything bowled on the stumps seems a wicket taking delivery, I would not be happy chasing more than 250. Still cannot get over how easy that Hussey chance was.