• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Top 4 teams in the table go to playoffs.

1 plays 2

3 plays 4

Winner of 3 v 4 plays loser of 1 v 2

Finals
In other words, some versions of IPL. No thanks. I mean if you're going that far then organize a best of 3 final after that too.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose you're right. Although this has never been a problem for football leagues. Some forward thinking scheduling might curb the amount of dead rubbers somewhat. Whether or not a league system is suitable for a world tournament I dunno.

Apart from the 92 World Cup, are there any other instances of a World Cup (any sport) being contested on a league basis?

SeamUp

International Coach
I think getting to 12 teams eventually shouldn't be ruled out. We want every team entering the WC believing they can win. That will come in time I think. But this ICC WC Qualifier needs far better exposure and importance because it could become a great prelude to a WC.

We want to grow the game but quality of product is still the most important thing. These games going on are fantastic because first of all there is a massive battle to win a place to the world cup and most games are competitive.

Love these pics so much still.

TimCutler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In other words, some versions of IPL. No thanks. I mean if you're going that far then organize a best of 3 final after that too.
I really like it - rather than 1v4 / 2v3 - as there is a real advantage for finishing in the top two...

But anyway, with the number of dead rubbers next year we'll be lucky if we're still watching by then....

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I really like it - rather than 1v4 / 2v3 - as there is a real advantage for finishing in the top two...
I think it can be tried in World T20 or some other competition. World Cup semi-finals are really really big matches. It's the same in Football and Hockey World Cups. The stake should be high for such a match. I know it seems unfair for no. 1 team to get knocked out for losing just one match - but the same can be said about the final.

But anyway, with the number of dead rubbers next year we'll be lucky if we're still watching by then....
Yes I am a bit worried too. The 1992 World Cup format worked really well (except the archaic rain rule). But it had only 9 teams. With one additional team the number of dead rubbers may increase by a good amount - specially if SL, Bangladesh and the two qualifiers don't win some matches against the top six teams to keep the tournament competitive throughout.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it can be tried in World T20 or some other competition. World Cup semi-finals are really really big matches. It's the same in Football and Hockey World Cups. The stake should be high for such a match. I know it seems unfair for no. 1 team to get knocked out for losing just one match - but the same can be said about the final.
I think it's a good system because there are no groups this time afaik. It's 10 teams playing each other. When you have a team that consistently performs and finishes in the top 2, it just feels wrong for them to drop one game and be kicked out by the 4th ranked team.

If there were groups then I wouldn't mind not having that one extra playoff game and keeping a traditional semi finals format. It's just that when you have a 10 team round robin, you should do better than a knockout lottery.

We wait 4 years for this tournament, it wouldn't hurt to have one more playoff game.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's a good system because there are no groups this time afaik. It's 10 teams playing each other. When you have a team that consistently performs and finishes in the top 2, it just feels wrong for them to drop one game and be kicked out by the 4th ranked team.

If there were groups then I wouldn't mind not having that one extra playoff game and keeping a traditional semi finals format. It's just that when you have a 10 team round robin, you should do better than a knockout lottery.

We wait 4 years for this tournament, it wouldn't hurt to have one more playoff game.
As I said, the matches lose all the hype when supporters know their team has another chance even if they lose. It's not the same as a high-pressure semifinal any more. Also the teams meet each other too often. Number 1 may beat number 2 in group stage and again in playoffs but then number 2 just wins the final and that's it.

Daemon

As I said, the matches lose all the hype when supporters know their team has another chance even if they lose. It's not the same as a high-pressure semifinal any more. Also the teams meet each other too often. Number 1 may beat number 2 in group stage and again in playoffs but then number 2 just wins the final and that's it.
Gotta agree to disagree then. I personally get a bit more satisfaction out of seeing consistency get rewarded over any potential extra pressure in a semi final.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Gotta agree to disagree then. I personally get a bit more satisfaction out of seeing consistency get rewarded over any potential extra pressure in a semi final.
What about best of 3 finals then? (like CB or VB or whatever the series in Australia is called) Don't you think that'll reward consistency more too?

TimCutler

Yes I am a bit worried too. The 1992 World Cup format worked really well (except the archaic rain rule). But it had only 9 teams. With one additional team the number of dead rubbers may increase by a good amount - specially if SL, Bangladesh and the two qualifiers don't win some matches against the top six teams to keep the tournament competitive throughout.
I think there may be a touch of rose tinted glasses looking back. Rather than me bore you (more) have at look at this article from 2015 about the various formats - the large single round robin format does not fare well.

World Cup Formats: taking a look at the data - you will need to click through to get the graphs (well, I did).

I think the memories are more of the fact it was the first in coloured clothing under lights, well hosted across A/NZ and South Africa's readmission / performance.

One thing that was really well done was games taken to country locations - this would be perfect fo AMvAM matches int he future where teams can "take over" a city - with people in say, Orange, choosing Hong Kong or PNG to barrack for....

SeamUp

International Coach
I think there may be a touch of rose tinted glasses looking back. Rather than me bore you (more) have at look at this article from 2015 about the various formats - the large single round robin format does not fare well.

World Cup Formats: taking a look at the data - you will need to click through to get the graphs (well, I did).

I think the memories are more of the fact it was the first in coloured clothing under lights, well hosted across A/NZ and South Africa's readmission / performance.

One thing that was really well done was games taken to country locations - this would be perfect fo AMvAM matches int he future where teams can "take over" a city - with people in say, Orange, choosing Hong Kong or PNG to barrack for....
How many teams do you want in a WC ?

Cricket is a tough sport to promote like a football world cup for anything more than T20 at this moment I feel and I have interest in amateur cricket.

I think at best we can get 12 teams to a really competitive state but are we there yet even ?

Last edited:

Daemon

What about best of 3 finals then? (like CB or VB or whatever the series in Australia is called) Don't you think that'll reward consistency more too?
Yeah it does, but then it breaches my consistency/pressure threshold :p

TimCutler

How many teams do you want in a WC ?

Cricket is a tough sport to promote like a football world cup for anything more than T20 at this moment I feel and I have interest in amateur cricket.

I think at best we can get 12 teams to a really competitive state but are we there yet even ?
I love the impact of of 2007 4x4 - if India and Pakistan had got through we'd probably still have it today.

However I'll settle for 3x5/6 into super sixes - or, at worse 2x7 like 2015.

The balance between development / exposure / competitive matches is a fine one.

The ODI League will balance that to some degree - but only for the Netherlands. I would've rather a more nimble 2x groups of 7 or 8 with promotion/relegation every two years (including from/to the WCLC).

Alas this is a lot of cricket. Does ODI cricket hold the future of cricket?

Or should we be looking at getting contextual T20I cricket sorted (copy the FIBA model - and have a WT20 every two years) for its power to grow the game and its emerging nations competitiveness / markets? It's a tough one

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think there may be a touch of rose tinted glasses looking back...
No doubt. I was 7 years old. Dad bought me a big 9*9 table (water-marked with popular cricketers' faces) to keep track of points. I did stick it on Mom's mirror and she was angry (but not on me). :laugh:

Last edited:

TimCutler

No doubt. I was 7 years old. Dad bought me a big 9*9 table (water-marked with popular cricketers' faces) to keep track of points. I did stick it on Mom's mirror and she was angry (but not on me). :laugh:
Haha! I was 10 - I wore the Aussie yellow corduroy commemorative cap so much (including to sleep) that I was basically known as "the kid with the yellow hat".

It got worse - I wore one of the "Go Aussies" steering wheel cover + inflatable insert combos to the 1995/95 Aus A v Windies match with "DEANO RULZ" in electrical tape on the peak. After that - Ross Emerson was on the death list.

Then we got D.M.Jones over to commentate for the Blitz. How much do you reckon I've nerded out with him?

vcs

I was so gutted when they took off 3 overs and only 1 or two runs off our target against Australia, think we still only lost by one run in a nailbiter. Also lost a close match to England first up, I think.

Love WC '92 memories.

SeamUp

International Coach
I love the impact of of 2007 4x4 - if India and Pakistan had got through we'd probably still have it today.

However I'll settle for 3x5/6 into super sixes - or, at worse 2x7 like 2015.

The balance between development / exposure / competitive matches is a fine one.

The ODI League will balance that to some degree - but only for the Netherlands. I would've rather a more nimble 2x groups of 7 or 8 with promotion/relegation every two years (including from/to the WCLC).

Alas this is a lot of cricket. Does ODI cricket hold the future of cricket?

Or should we be looking at getting contextual T20I cricket sorted (copy the FIBA model - and have a WT20 every two years) for its power to grow the game and its emerging nations competitiveness / markets? It's a tough one
For now I reckon this is the way to go. Majority of international T20 squads from the big nations are actually different to the test teams.

They did change it to every 4 years when it was 2 but I would seriously consider going back to 2 with less bi-lateral T20 Series ?

I suppose then you wonder how do you grow a team with games mainly in the tournaments. It is tough.