• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should fly SQ. Or Emirates. They have beds in their A380 First Class iirc.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Fun fact; if England go out in the group stages, the Sri Lanka tie will be the only game, in a sequence of 44 games, that England will have played that wasn't against New Zealand or Australia by the end of next February.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Deary me, if we see 25 off 35 from Bopara coming in with 15 overs left...pitch is apparently 300 par, i expect we will be 130/3 after 30 overs and end up 260/270.

Have money on the Aussies as they were decent odds

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think Australia should have picked Doherty though. 6 seam up options and no serious spin options is pretty interesting given what conditions are supposedly like.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Think Australia should have picked Doherty though. 6 seam up options and no serious spin options is pretty interesting given what conditions are supposedly like.
Yeah maybe a spinner would have been a decent option but the Cricketers who were picked instead of him are all better batsman which could have swayed the selectors. I think Doherty's poor tour to England last time cost him - He might get a game against SL as he has had some success against them.

3 LH and 3 RH bowlers means we do have some variations.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah maybe a spinner would have been a decent option but the Cricketers who were picked instead of him are all better batsman which could have swayed the selectors. I think Doherty's poor tour to England last time cost him - He might get a game against SL as he has had some success against them.
There's absolutely no way that Doherty will be more effective against Sri Lanka than England at the same grounds, though.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's absolutely no way that Doherty will be more effective against Sri Lanka than England at the same grounds, though.
no not really. doherty has been gash against england basically every time, and flukes wickets against SL constantly

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah for some reason he has gotten top order batsman from Sri Lanka out in classic dismissals like lbw or edging which England should be thankful for as I think he got into the Test team on the basis of his SL showing.

Just curious why England choose to open the batting with Bell and not Root when Root has been talked about as a potential opener in the Test team and Bell is comfortable at 4. Is there a specific reason?

Also Cabinet, I would open with McKay too, for sure actually.