• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

Flem274*

123/5
Watling has been dropped from the entire squad after being one of the best one day batsmen we've had over the last 12 months (as long as he wasn't opening).

We're not going to put Munro in the path of 140kph are we? I suppose he did smash Steyn and mates but still...

Need to troll Australia into bowling bouncers and down leg so he can continuously play his three good shots.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watling has been dropped from the entire squad after being one of the best one day batsmen we've had over the last 12 months (as long as he wasn't opening).

We're not going to put Munro in the path of 140kph are we? I suppose he did smash Steyn and mates but still...

Need to troll Australia into bowling bouncers and down leg so he can continuously play his three good shots.
What are the other two? Could be amusing if Munro does play; can see him smacking someone like Watson into the stands at cow corner a few times, while making Doherty look like he's bowling cluster-bombs* at the other end.

Thought I'd read Watling was there as cover for someone else, but perhaps that was Elliott and it was never finalised. In that case, we're very much a batsman short.

*just an upgrade on his usual grenades

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori vs. Australia or we break out the gimp, either way we win as viewers tbf. For some reason Australia feels like his side.

3rd ODI: South Africa v New Zealand at Potchefstroom, Jan 25, 2013 | Cricket Commentary | ESPN Cricinfo

Phangiso to Munro, FOUR, is it a reverse pull or a switch pull? Yes it is a switch pull. He has moved early, changed the grip, got a short ball on what would have been his leg stump, and he has pulled it away through what would have been point for four
Phangiso to Munro, FOUR, orthodox, just as effective. Down the wicket, to the pitch of the ball, and driven between mid-off and extra cover. All along the ground
Phangiso to Munro, FOUR, an action replay this time. Three superb shots. This is a four through cover too. Seventeen off the over

Steyn to Munro, SIX, that's a slog and it's cleared the long-on boundary! Munro cleared his front foot, stayed in his crease, and swung as hard as he could, carting the ball over the rope. Steyn's length was poor
Steyn to Munro, no run, a fast reply from Steyn but it's down leg side
Steyn to Munro, FOUR, superb shot! That's when you play the ramp/upper cut, when third man is in the circle. Munro sways away from the short ball angling across him and then angles his bat face, allowing the ball to bounce off it towards the boundary
Steyn to Munro, 1 run, short ball from round the wicket, pulled behind square for a single

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
On paper a 26-year-old with a 41 average and a 109 SR for his province deserves an extended shot though, that's the thing.

Hesson is essentially doing a reverse-Ross with guys like Fulton and Munro, shaming the likes of Milne for ever bowling enough short filth to let him average 81 against CD in the first place, etc.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that's what I don't get.

Ok so you're not going to pick Milne or players based on potential. Fair enough, you've got to have you're own standards to stick by.

But then why drop Watling? Why is Matt Henry not there?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, I came to this thread to say that I think Southee has a more important role to play than the spinners tonight, despite what everyone else is predicting.

At the end of the SL innings the other night there was a touch of reverse swing starting to creep in.

Presuming Aus get closer to batting out the 50 overs, that will be quite important.

I'm not sure whether MJ still does (or ever did) get reverse swing, but same thing from their perspective. It will make the death overs a lot harder.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Forgot about Mitchell Starc!

If Australia bench him I think it would be a huge mistake with the aforementioned reverse swing likely to be available.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah that's what I don't get.

Ok so you're not going to pick Milne or players based on potential. Fair enough, you've got to have you're own standards to stick by.

But then why drop Watling? Why is Matt Henry not there?

Henry isn't there because they probably didn't want to introduce more new players right before a tournament. With the possibility of no Vettori, there isn't many wickets between bowlers not called Kyle Mills. I think that's what happened there.

Watling was dropped because he wasn't good at opening against England and it appears the selectors believe Elliott provides more to the team than Watling does. Whether that's based on pure batsmanship at number five (strike rotation etc) or due to Elliott's mediums being cover for Franklin's 5th bowling filth I don't know.

Between Watling and Elliott I'd take Watling. But I can see why they went for a very experienced nurdler who has a hundred against Australia and has won matches for New Zealand with the ball, even if I don't agree with it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but this is between Watling and Munro. Or Watling and Vettori. Or Watling and Butler. Or Watling and Bracewell.

WOuld've taken Watling in any of those.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. One of Bracewell or Butler is surplus to requirements and that's where we should have a spare batsman i.e. Watling

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Noted opening batsman Glenn Maxwell

and what's a man supposed to do in england anyway

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like a good local lad, not too bright, who has inexplicably inherited his distant uncle's fortune and found himself in the company of the big wigs with an open bar that never closes.

However several cricket people who were at the IPL were aware of Warner’s regular drinking.
He flew three of his school mates to India during the Twenty20 tournament to keep him company.
Hey bois, let's get pissed! Can't really blame him for not taking the IPL too seriously though