• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
He’d be worth more to any team than Head (and that’s not a knock on Head).
With the trajectory of Head's career so far, it's only fair to give him 96 tests before we make that sort of judgement.

My guess is if he's averaging similar to Stokes current average at that point he will be playing shield cricket.

Kraken

International 12th Man
Yeah unless he’s averaging that and has just short of 200 Test Wickets
out of curiousity, how much more than stokes would he have to be averaging to make up for the almost 200 test wickets? (which he may get if we go to Bangladesh or SriLanka on bunsens). I don't even disagree with your premise that stokes is worth more to the side, it's a very close call for mine but I can see the benefits

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
out of curiousity, how much more than stokes would he have to be averaging to make up for the almost 200 test wickets? (which he may get if we go to Bangladesh or SriLanka on bunsens). I don't even disagree with your premise that stokes is worth more to the side, it's a very close call for mine but I can see the benefits
It's not exactly a like for like comparison. One is a full time middle order batsman and part time bowler, the other is a full time all rounder.

Would be like comparing Clarke and Flintoff. Would entirely depend on the make up of the side as to which is preferred.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
✍Longest unbeaten series streak for a team in Ashes in the post-war era
8 Australia (1989-2002/03)
6 Australia (1958/59-1968)
4 Australia (2017/18-2023) *
✍Most Tests as captain before a draw
17 Ben Stokes (2020-23)
16 Dean Elgar (2017-22)
13 Monty Noble (1903-09)

❤Shakib Al Hasan has led in 19 Tests so far without any of them ending in a draw.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
The hard flat wickets that England need for their new "entertaining" style of batting were always unlikely to help Anderson much. No great surprise that Wood has had such an impact.

I actually think with more traditional pitches the poms would now be leading this series. The Stokes/McCullum plan has been a failure.

halba

International 12th Man
The hard flat wickets that England need for their new "entertaining" style of batting were always unlikely to help Anderson much. No great surprise that Wood has had such an impact.

I actually think with more traditional pitches the poms would now be leading this series. The Stokes/McCullum plan has been a failure.
Agree- poms would be leading 3-0 if they prepared 'fast' and 'green' wickets. The entire plan was an abysmal failure. The two tests that Aus won- they benefited from the flatness in the pitch.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the pitch preparation has certainly neutered England’s strengths, but the batting has been better than whatever I think they would’ve done trying to play ‘properly’.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it was. 5th was a rain affected draw
No draws in 2001 IIRC. The 5th Test was an innings win for Aus, the game Langer came back in as opener to join Hayden for the first time after Slats was left out all, and Steve Waugh made 150 with a DVT