• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still have nightmares over the basic errors made at Edgbaston,particularly the Bairstow missed stumping,dropped catches and then Broad had to go and take a wicket on no ball.

Can see us being beat 3-1 now Ashes have gone which quite honestly is deserved for the early sloppy performances. Quite honestly I just wish this last test would come and go quickly as possible. The pain is so raw only a few days later.
Yeah it blows mate when you’re so invested in a series. It stings for sure.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And free champagne and caviar, brought to our cabin by our butler - the only butler to play a meaningful part in this Ashes.

Qlder

International 12th Man
Re the last test

when was the last time Australia won it to confirm retaining or winning the series in England ?

the one Chris got was a 3-2 England win in 2015

must be the 90s when Australia won the last test as I think England won the last one in 2001
But Australia don't need to win the last test, a rained out draw and Australia win the Ashes 😀

To answer your question though, Australia won the 5th test at the Oval by an innings in 2001

Last edited:

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
What annoys me is we gifted two test to a bang average Aussie side but at least we woke up and were on course to put it right. Then the bloody rain intervened and it will go down in the books that we didn't win back the Ashes.

Total embarrasment.

Aside from Root, Duckett and Broad, none of the English side get into the Aussie best XI.

Would have been more embarrassing for that same "bang average" Aussie side to lose this series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aside from Root, Duckett and Broad, none of the English side get into the Aussie best XI.

Would have been more embarrassing for that same "bang average" Aussie side to lose this series.
I mean I’m not going through the lineup but imagine thinking Stokes doesn’t walk into that Australia side

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
I mean I’m not going through the lineup but imagine thinking Stokes doesn’t walk into that Australia side
36 test av with the bat, 35 FC av. That's ordinary.

He's a clutch player no doubt but I wouldn't have him in the middle order when there's already Root, Labuschagne, Smith and Head.

Could make a case for him at 7 cause his bowling is quite handy but at the expense of Cummins, Broad, Hazlewood... I'm not so sure.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
The great thing about Ashes series in England is that they are usually competitive.

Though when you think of the reverse (series in Aus) there is a whole generation of pom cricketers who have never known the feeling of winning a test match in Australia. For instance Stokes and Root have had three campaigns in Australia and still don't know what it feels like (it's 12-0 for Root and 8-0 for Stokes). They certainly know the taste of defeat. Sydney rain and a substandard MCG drop in saving them from utter and complete capitulation.

When you think of it in that context it's understandable that the excuse book will get a hammering when you're also down 2-1 at home.

Thus we see that Aus have yet to win a match this series, they have just been the recipients of pom generosity who have "gifted" them a couple.

The belief by some on here that 2-2 is a foregone conclusion before the last match has been played is pleasing to hear. I hope it's a belief that also permeates the pom team because it overlooks the obvious (3-1 or 2-1 are also strong possibilities). I would usually go the "reverse jinx" and downplay Aus chances in the last one, but I'm now getting a sense that this Pom "generosity" might not have reached its limits.

:D

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Other than when our openers were made to bat in the pitch black at Edgbaston. They’d have tonned up in any semblance of light and those two wickets cost us much more than the declaration. And then to rub salt in the wounds they go and make us bowl spinners in much lighter conditions yesterday, just as our seamers were about to get their tails up and clean up.

Both matches stolen from us by the umpires. FACT
Nah maybe look at the fact we arrogantly batted on too long on day 3,then we were also far too careful on that evening session of day 2. England had to win this test so was about giving ourselves as much time as possible which sadly we didn't do.