• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

91Jmay

International Coach
Sketchy keeping, no runs for a while. I love Jos but he isn't a sure thing at all, I'd give him the winter but it is a massive couple of series for so many of our young players.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sketchy keeping, no runs for a while. I love Jos but he isn't a sure thing at all, I'd give him the winter but it is a massive couple of series for so many of our young players.
It's such an indictment that we're getting hammered like so with such large chunks of England's side doing ****-all.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah our bowling unit has largely been great/you've batted badly which is the large difference. Aside from Root and Moeen (who has been unlucky that he bats 8 meaning he has had to swing with the tail in some innings) none of our bats have done that well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think Clarke should remain for the entire 2015/16 summer.

I also think M Marsh or S Watson should bat 6.

I also think C Rogers needs to keep his word and retire.

Johnson has to keep batting at 8 with no Faulkner.

It will be wonderful for Antipodean cricket.
Not sure who this randomly douchey and sarcastic comment is aimed at, but I'm saying what I think will happen, not arguing that it's necessarily the right call. I think dropping Clarke is justifiable, though I also think keeping him around during a period of transition when other new batsmen will be joining the team is reasonable. Not sure what the rest of your post has to do with Clarke.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah our bowling unit has largely been great/you've batted badly which is the large difference. Aside from Root and Moeen (who has been unlucky that he bats 8 meaning he has had to swing with the tail in some innings) none of our bats have done that well.
Cook's done a job tbf in terms of seeing off the new ball semi-regularly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke looks like he will never again score a century in testing conditions against quality opponents. He can maybe score a home century against India at best. Probably still good enough to make Australia's test XI, given the quality of some of the others (at the moment only Smith and probably Voges look better than him in the middle-order, and Voges is older than him - so getting rid of Clarke completely may not be prudent)...But Australia can get rid of his captaincy - having a captain who is devoid of confidence isn't good.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's such an indictment that we're getting hammered like so with such large chunks of England's side doing ****-all.
It really has been a funny series in that sense. I feel like most of the players on both sides have been fairly crap and each test has been decided by 1-3 brilliant performances. And other than Broad and Root, none of the match deciding performers have really followed up in any other test. Rogers has been consistent for Australia I guess, but that's it. England have had more of the big performances and more players (Cook, Stokes, Moeen) who have been pretty solid throughout the series without dominating, but there's been lots of poor performances overall.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke has looked this bad before, it's worth noting. His injury problems and the way he approaches his innings sometimes means that when he looks bad, he looks absolutely awful.

91Jmay

International Coach
Dropping MMarsh is a real head scratcher, did he look hopeless at Edgbaston? Yes but most of the rest of the side did and he is 23, has bowled ok and clearly has talent. No idea what kind of thought process makes you want 3 seamers in England when one of your bowlers is largely 4 overs maximum.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke has looked this bad before, it's worth noting. His injury problems and the way he approaches his innings sometimes means that when he looks bad, he looks absolutely awful.
When was this? I don't claim to have watched his whole career but I've not seen him this terrible. Been this way for a while too. The uae tour was a shocker for him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking like the Aussies will manage to take this game into day 3.

Only question is will they last until after the football season starts?

Spark

Global Moderator
When was this? I don't claim to have watched his whole career but I've not seen him this terrible. Been this way for a while too. The uae tour was a shocker for him.
I don't count the UAE tour as part of this same patch tbf because it's split by the Adelaide test and the WC (where he looked fine tbh, just surplus to requirements half the time). But he looked pretty terrible in patches of the 2010/11 Ashes, the back end of the 2013 Ashes when Broad got a hold of him etc etc. There are more examples than that.

Compton

International Debutant
I agree with keeping Clarke after this series.

The side will be losing Rogers and Haddin, who have been hugely important for them. They've just lost Harris and possibly Shane Watson. That's before you mention the mess of the middle order and the probable dropping of Voges.

The last thing Australia need to worry about it finding another new body to fill Clarke's shoes, particularly given that there's hardly a clear cut replacement tonning up for domestic sides.

Replace Rogers - if you can't convince him to stay - and get Burns and Nevill settled in. Clarke will score runs on the flat pitches and Australia can look to replace him in a years time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we take two more in the next 40 minutes then we probably get an extra half hour right

91Jmay

International Coach
Finn/Wood have done a good job after tea. Lots of dangerous balls and kept the runs down. Moeen looks a real part timer though at the moment which is a shame.

Compton

International Debutant
Dropping MMarsh is a real head scratcher, did he look hopeless at Edgbaston? Yes but most of the rest of the side did and he is 23, has bowled ok and clearly has talent. No idea what kind of thought process makes you want 3 seamers in England when one of your bowlers is largely 4 overs maximum.
His batting was very poor, but he bowled well. Australia just panicked and tried to pack the batting order.

Spark

Global Moderator
Test Match Special @bbctms
Adam Voges is 42* - the highest score by an Australian between numbers 4-6 in this series... bbc.in/1K6JFgM pic.twitter.com/nRx4zCKZAl

genuinely amazing.

Compton

International Debutant
Test Match Special @bbctms
Adam Voges is 42* - the highest score by an Australian between numbers 4-6 in this series... bbc.in/1K6JFgM pic.twitter.com/nRx4zCKZAl

genuinely amazing.
The series summed up in a statistic. Australia's tail are out batting their middle order.