• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
I half blame the umpires for these growing number of no ball wickets - half of them aren't bothered to reguarly call no balls anymore and as a result soome bowlers get into a habit of bowling them without the boot up the backside the umpire should be giving them.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
That wasn't even on the line.

And i still think they should be finding a better system to call the no balls in real time.

91Jmay

International Coach
100% Finn's fault, and doubly inexcusable after already having it happen in the same ****ing innings. Great spell of bowling as well from both and Wood.

Umpires again though are a joke that they clearly aren't looking at the line.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Can't really see them asking Clarke to retire after what is really just one poor series. The signs have definitely been there for a while before that but he's not that old (as in not necessarily about to retire) and he scored a hundred in his last home test so I just think it'll take longer for it to reach that point for him. Especially since Voges and Rogers are already likely to be out, which means there's at least one batting spot opening up already, and Marsh hasn't exactly cemented his place (either Marsh).

If a new player or two comes into the side and makes runs and he's not performing by the home summer, and Australia lose a test at some point during that summer, then he might be gone.

Last edited:

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I half blame the umpires for these growing number of no ball wickets - half of them aren't bothered to reguarly call no balls anymore and as a result soome bowlers get into a habit of bowling them without the boot up the backside the umpire should be giving them.
We had this discussion before. They need to take it away from the standing umpire.

The reasons they don't call them nowadays is

a) they're standing so much further back now than they used to because they don't want to get hit.
b) they don't want to call the marginals because if they call a no ball when it's a legit delivery and a wicket falls there is no redress.

Solution IMO is to move the square leg umpire as all he ever does on the runouts is signal upstairs nowadays.

Can't really see them asking Clarke to retire after what is really just one poor series. The signs have definitely been there for a while before that but he's not that old (as in not necessarily about to retire) and he scored a hundred in his last home test so I just think it'll take longer for it to reach that point for him. Especially since Voges and Rogers are already likely to be out, which means there's at least one batting spot opening up already, and Marsh hasn't exactly cemented his place (either Marsh).

If a new player or two comes into the side and makes runs and he's not performing by the home summer, and Australia lose a test at some point during that summer, then he might be gone.
Yeah, I think Clarke should remain for the entire 2015/16 summer.

I also think M Marsh or S Watson should bat 6.

I also think C Rogers needs to keep his word and retire.

Johnson has to keep batting at 8 with no Faulkner.

It will be wonderful for Antipodean cricket.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
did anyone find Clarke's "being aggressive against good bowling is the only way, live by the sword die by the sword" comments yesterday really weird? Like surely he doesn't genuinely believe that?
No. A couple of his best innings (Cape Town, Galle) have been where he's just smashed his way through tough batting conditions.

I agree with him as well. If the ball's doing a bit then rather than just wait for one with your name on it, you're as well trying to score. As a bonus you might smack the bowler off his length.

It carries the risk of looking like an absolute muppet if it doesn't come off though. But it's that whole Boycott thing where playing a rubbish defensive shot and getting out is still somehow better than getting out attacking.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Yeah, I think Clarke should remain for the entire 2015/16 summer.

I also think M Marsh or S Watson should bat 6.

I also think C Rogers needs to keep his word and retire.
Rogers will be gone for the day night test whatever though won't he?

Last edited:

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Actually there generally aren't many no balls in international (and actually lower level) cricket these days compared to the past.

We had this discussion before. They need to take it away from the standing umpire.

The reasons they don't call them nowadays is

a) they're standing so much further back now than they used to because they don't want to get hit.
b) they don't want to call the marginals because if they call a no ball when it's a legit delivery and a wicket falls there is no redress.

Solution IMO is to move the square leg umpire as all he ever does on the runouts is signal upstairs nowadays.
Sometimes, depending on the bowler's action, it is easier to see standing further back. And they are not standing much further back (if at all) anyway.

Oh and8-):huh: