• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Spark

Global Moderator
Perhaps because it's because you can see that his time is quickly drawing to an end? As a cricket fan that is a definite cause for sadness and IMO that's much sadder for me than losing this test/series.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At literally any other stage in his career I'd have been genuinely sympathetic but coming immediately after what he did to Aleem Dar it's a case of :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tough watch that interview with Ponting
Yeah, have to agree, looked a bit of a broken man. Banter aside, it was a bit uncomfortable thinking this might be the end of the road for one of the undoubted greats of the game. It's an uncomfortable contrast with how McGrath and Warne bowed out 4 years ago.

Jacknife

International Captain
Perhaps because it's because you can see that his time is quickly drawing to an end? As a cricket fan that is a definite cause for sadness and IMO that's much sadder for me than losing this test/series.
I know mate, all England fans love to hate Ricky because he's been so bloody good and turned us over so often, but you can tell, off field he's a good bloke.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's important we bounce back in Sydney and give the fans something to be proud of. We've got to prove to ourselves and the fans that we're still good cricketers.
That's ITSTL.

---

I was more coming from the POV of "the end of one of the finest batsmen in the history of the game".

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular
Argh I hate that I feel a little bit sorry for Ricky. I guess I wouldn't mind if he got a pair in Sydney before having an amazing 2011 and finally retiring before the next Ashes.

hazsa19

International Regular
Wouldn't mind if Sydney was a decent game of cricket without a ridiculous collapse from either side.

Andre

International Regular
For all his faults on the field, Ponting is always gracious and speaks very well when the Australian side loses. Not what you'd call a sore loser at all, just an emotional competitor in the heat of the moment.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
NZ could be above us in the rankings by then. I doubt we'll beat anyone in the next 12 months, certainly not SA or India, obviously.