• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Final: Portugal vs France

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
A disappointing end but this hasn't been a bad tournament by any means. We were spoilt a bit by the last World Cup.

Has failed to capture the imagination fully but that's a bit of an abstract criticism. Is hardly a fault of the tournament that significant things have been happening outside of sport.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@Furball: That the quality of top international football currently isn't as high as club football.
You know this is 100% established right? Has been the case for 20+ years. No need to stink out the thread just because you're the last one to realise.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah since the transfer market went properly global then there's been very few international sides that would have beaten the best club sides

Spain perhaps would have in their pomp but even that's debatable

Uppercut

Yeah since the transfer market went properly global then there's been very few international sides that would have beaten the best club sides

Spain perhaps would have in their pomp but even that's debatable
Yeah Spain were the closest but even then the quality gap was particularly stark because they just played like Barca minus Messi.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Thought this was much worse than the last World Cup.
I wouldn't say much worse. Tournament was a solid 8/10 for me. Euro 2000 and the last World Cup I think were comfortably my two favourite tournaments of all time, hard to really put any other tournament I've seen above this one tbf.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Thinking about it this was absolutely Germany's for the taking if they weren't without 4/5 starters for the semi final.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Khedira and Hummels is 2.

Germany have themselves to blame. That's the risk you take when you don't assert your dominance by scoring.

OverratedSanity

Not a great tournament by any means and it clearly wasn't any where near as good as the 2014 WC, but it was still ok.

Absolutely dire winners and format though.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually really rather enjoyed the tournament on the whole, don't really have a lot of beef with the final game either. Thought it was alright.

Anyway, well done Portugal, best team on the night won. Can't really begrudge them the victory. Even if France choking has lost me my goddamn sweepstake money.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Any tournament that lets pepe and portugal win is a ****** tournament
Pepe was fine. Unless he did something dire in the Austria & Hungary games, which I missed, I really couldn't fault him at all in this tournament. Maybe there's a different culture at his club side which brings out the worst in their players, but I honestly thought he was terrific here.

Obviously Germany should have won, but if Lowe cba to play an out-and-out goal scorer in front of their midfield, then I can't be sympathetic.
And as for France, whilst I'd have preferred them to win last night, they really didn't deserve to, so kudos to Portugal. Even when that donkey of a substitute centre forward his the post for France just before the end of normal time, that was his own fault for scuffing the ball so badly.

The tournament as a whole was middling - maybe a 6 out of 10 affair. Not a patch on 2000 or 1984 of course, but not dissimilar to most euros, which are generally less interesting than WCs.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who is this out and out goalscorer Löwe should have played?

Bearing in mind the player he did select scored 32 goals for Bayern Munich last season.

DriveClub

International Regular
Pepe was fine. Unless he did something dire in the Austria & Hungary games, which I missed, I really couldn't fault him at all in this tournament. Maybe there's a different culture at his club side which brings out the worst in their players, but I honestly thought he was terrific here.

Obviously Germany should have won, but if Lowe cba to play an out-and-out goal scorer in front of their midfield, then I can't be sympathetic.
And as for France, whilst I'd have preferred them to win last night, they really didn't deserve to, so kudos to Portugal. Even when that donkey of a substitute centre forward his the post for France just before the end of normal time, that was his own fault for scuffing the ball so badly.

The tournament as a whole was middling - maybe a 6 out of 10 affair. Not a patch on 2000 or 1984 of course, but not dissimilar to most euros, which are generally less interesting than WCs.
I just dont like pepe and ronaldo, also I'm a sore loser