• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Final: Portugal vs France

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
International football used to be much better than this. Maybe that's just the nostalgia talking. I remember how much I enjoyed even WC 2002, which in hindsight, was a pretty average tournament.
The Euro specifically has been quite poor. Compare this with a champions league final and there is a marked difference.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven't enjoyed recent Champions Leagues either, TBF. I've moaned on here about it being too predictable and dominated by a few wealthy clubs. Last year was good though, mainly for Messi vs. Bayern.

Sometimes I wonder why I watch football at all. :laugh:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
But they likely won't need a second shootout?

Point is, it's not like they've needed pens every game

All bar one have been level after ninety mind you
I think they would have lost this on penalties but it didn't go there. 3rd in the group and no wins or losses in 90 mins. Bad ad for the game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This Euros has been really good. It's lacked outstanding games but there's been very few poor games. People slagging this tournament have obviously blanked out some absolute shockers from tourmaments past.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This Euros has been really good. It's lacked outstanding games but there's been very few poor games. People slagging this tournament have obviously blanked out some absolute shockers from tourmaments past.
I dunno. I mean I wouldn't place it in the Italia 90 stink fest category but I don't think it will linger long in the memory. The expanded format gave us some of the best moments but I think it kind of killed the tension in the third round of group games and there were no real classics in the knockout phase.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If tomorrow wasn't Monday I'd be working on blanking this game out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Lol. The quality hasn't been very good. Shocked any one would believe otherwise.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno. I mean I wouldn't place it in the Italia 90 stink fest category but I don't think it will linger long in the memory. The expanded format gave us some of the best moments but I think it kind of killed the tension in the third round of group games and there were no real classics in the knockout phase.
It has been decent, I swear people do this sort complaining every tournament.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Far better than Euro 96 which had an absolutely shocking knockout phase.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Comparing with past Euros is weird. Club football has progressed a fair bit since Euro 96, say. Are you disagreeing international football has become less prominent say compared to what it was in 96 or so in in terms of being top quality football?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Far better than Euro 96 which had an absolutely shocking knockout phase.
Euro 96 was a long time ago. Agree the knockouts were turd. My good memories of that tournament are purely Anglo-focused, as a whole I never felt it to be anything special.

As I say. This one has been okay. Wouldn't go further than that but agree with Pothas that there's probably no need to moan about it either

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Comparing with past Euros is weird. Club football has progressed a fair bit since Euro 96, say. Are you disagreeing international football has become less prominent say compared to what it was in 96 or so in in terms of being top quality football?
I don't know what point you think you're making.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@Furball: That the quality of top international football currently isn't as high as club football.

Last edited: