• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - Final - India v Sri Lanka

Who will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reevo

Cricket Spectator
Also Sreesanth has a T20WC winner's medal and now, a CWC winner's medal! And he played in both finals! Luckiest man ever? Definitely one of the luckiest cricketers out there.

R_D

International Debutant
Sorry, not letting you get away with this one.

See below:
In my defence.... I was drunk and very pissed off after those 2 overs... He has been bowling Yorkers throughout the tournament and than starts bowling length bowls at the death to Jaya and the bowlers.

I thought the max Sri Lanka would make is around 250 and which should be chaseable but 275 seemed like uphill battle.

I still had faith in the team even after Sachin went out... :)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I fist pumped when Kohli said that. Very nice from the young kid.

Showed glimpses throughout this tournament, but inexperience reared its head and he often threw his wicket away. Will be a very vital cog in this Indian ODI team in the future.

Gambhir to replace Sachin as opener and Kohli to #3 imo.
:thumbup:

The temperament guys like Gambhir and Kohli have shown on such a huge stage is very encouraging for the future of Indian cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And lest I forget.. Love you Joni, love you Joe, Love you SJS, Love you adharcrick, Love you Bagapath, Love you vcs, Love you Teja you underage drunkard.. And most of all, Love you TURBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB... Juz now rocked the besant nagar beach in chennai.. The party was unbelievable there.. Totally missed Cricket Extra.. What outrageous thing did Sidhu do now??????

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In my defence.... I was drunk and very pissed off after those 2 overs... He has been bowling Yorkers throughout the tournament and than starts bowling length bowls at the death to Jaya and the bowlers.

I thought the max Sri Lanka would make is around 250 and which should be chaseable but 275 seemed like uphill battle.

I still had faith in the team even after Sachin went out... :)
Yeah not sure what got into Zaheer. Just could not hit the correct length at all.

Ah well, did enough in the first few overs to prevent SL getting 300.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shut up, enjoy the win. No need to be obnoxious. Dhoni and the rest of the Indian team have done the talking for you.
You shut up.. I AM enjoying the win... And trust me, you are allowed one obnoxious post after a great WC win.. The mods will vouch for that :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And lest I forget.. Love you Joni, love you Joe, Love you SJS, Love you adharcrick, Love you Bagapath, Love you vcs, Love you Teja you underage drunkard.. And most of all, Love you TURBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB... Juz now rocked the besant nagar beach in chennai.. The party was unbelievable there.. Totally missed Cricket Extra.. What outrageous thing did Sidhu do now??????
Haha awesome :cool:

Good on ya HB. Live it up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah not sure what got into Zaheer. Just could not hit the correct length at all.

Ah well, did enough in the first few overs to prevent SL getting 300.
I believe it's known as "choking under pressure."

However, he had such an awesome World Cup that he's allowed the occasional bad spell - and he was responsible for strangling Sri Lanka at the start of the innings. Even if Tharanga had managed to slap a couple of boundaries before getting dismissed that bumps the chase up to 280+. An absolutely vital opening spell.

Himannv

International Coach
Not going to read through any of the posts in this thread, I cant deal with the fanboys saying we are a pushover. They can stick their opinions up their ass.

On another note, congratulations to India as a whole, they were the better team on the night and their nations and their legends (Tendulkar etc) have been waiting for this moment a long time. They have worked hard and played hard to get here and deserve to get the plaudits for their efforts. Truly the best team in the world at the current moment.

On the other hand, well played Sri Lanka to get to their second semi finals in 2 WCs. Immensely disappointed that they did not lift the cup but they are simply not good enough as yet. Murali was overbowled and there was too much dependency on Malinga to make the required breakthroughs. Mathews was a big miss but I think the right team was picked in the end. Tharanga is simply not good enough and needs to be dropped. Immediately. Time to give the young talent a chance to shine in front of thw whole world and take the nation forward now. Goodbye to the old and hello to the new. Now is the moment.

Mahela, you are the best batsmen in the whole wide world when you are on song. Simply put, you are a great and a legend for me despite all the losers who talk about domestic form and away form. In terms of talent, the best batsmen ever produced by Sri Lanka, ever.

As for the next WC, we will be back and we will fight till the end, I know it in my blood.Disappointed but its not the end of the world.

Teja, prescribe the avatar of your choice.

shankar

International Debutant
So this is the first team in the history of ODI cricket to be fortunate enought to win and celebrate a World Cup victory in front of their adoring home crowd.

cnerd123

likes this
The ONLY reason India is in the final is that Pakistan cant catch

Stop talking nosense and enjoy agreat moment for your country
Actually we're in the final because West Indies can't bat, Bangladesh can't bowl, England were fatigued and choked, Australia had no spin attack AND that Pakistan can't catch. Not to mention we were playing at home for all these games.
And we only won the final because Tharanga, Dilshan and Sanga didn't click, and SL made 4 changes. Kulasekra bottled it in his PP over as well, not to mention the plenty of misfields and fumbles they made.
Complete fluke that they won this TBH, they didn't do a damn thing.

Or maybe, just maybe, India won it because they were the better team.

Zak, MSD, Gambhir, WFGs. Yuvi full of epicness this tournament. UV/Kohli/Raina brilliant in the field, Kohli did his bit with the bat here and Raina in his other chances. MSD absolutely superb tactically last 3 games and now leading from the front with the bat, I'd now rank him as India's best ever captain (possibly second to Mansour Ali Khan Pataudi). We bowled well (until the last 10), fielded brilliantly (right throughout) and chased that down magnificently.

Absolutely brilliant stuff. India are now World Champions and deserve every ****ing moment of it.

And spare a thought for Sachin (14 off 18) and Murali (8 overs for 39). Both all-time Greats bowing down from the game they have given their lives too (well in Murali's case anyways, not sure about Sachin yet), and playing their final WC games. Terrific stuff, and I was genuinely depressed when Sachin got out; not because I was worried India was going to lose (although I was), but because this innings of his might very well be the last innings of Sachin Tendulkar I'll ever see in ODIs. The thought nearly brought tears to my eyes.

But hey - team India gave Sachin the best farewell gift he could have asked for. His resume is complete. And India have defied all the critics.

We're World Champions. Haters can suck it.

Dissector

International Debutant
Thinking about the individual performances which contributed to this win it's amazing how many there were. The three knock-out games were the only ones which really mattered and there isn't a single player with a dominant contribution. Almost everyone played a role.

Sehwag:His cameo was very possibly the difference in the semi-final. Took a sharp catch as well to dismiss Tharanga.

Sachin: Crucial 50's in the quarter and semi. Bowled four useful overs as well.

Gambhir: Huge innings in the final obviously and an important fifty in the quarter

Kohli: crucial partnerships with Gambhir in the quarter and especially the final

Yuvraj: Contributed consistently with the ball and in the field and finished in the final and especially the quarter

Raina: Crucial cameos in the quarter and semi and contributed in the field

Dhoni: Came to the party in the final and kept a calm head in some huge pressure situations

Harbhajan: Bowled well in the semi and his dismissal of Umar was crucial

Zaheer: Was patchy in the semi and final but took crucial wickets in each game

Nehra and Munaf played a useful role in the semi and Ashwin bowled quite well in the quarter including the crucial wicket of Watson. Sree was just about the only player who didn't make a contribution and he probably shouldn't have been playing anyway.

Teja.

Global Moderator
However, he had such an awesome World Cup that he's allowed the occasional bad spell - and he was responsible for strangling Sri Lanka at the start of the innings. Even if Tharanga had managed to slap a couple of boundaries before getting dismissed that bumps the chase up to 280+. An absolutely vital opening spell.
Yes definitely, Munaf bowled well but his first five overs or so going for sweet ****all had a lot to do with the pressure set by Zaheer's opening spell too.

I'll never forget 4-3-2-1. :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I believe it's known as "choking under pressure."

It was obviously a choke, but surely he was under more pressure bowling the first over in the final?

I mean especially with the baggage he had from 2003. His first over, and of course first spell, was superb.

Was weird for the pressure suddenly to get to him in the death overs.

Especially since he had performed under the pump vs. South Africa in the death overs too. Weird.

Blaze 18

Banned
Actually we're in the final because West Indies can't bat, Bangladesh can't bowl, England were fatigued and choked, Australia had no spin attack AND that Pakistan can't catch. Not to mention we were playing at home for all these games.
And we only won the final because Tharanga, Dilshan and Sanga didn't click, and SL made 4 changes. Kulasekra bottled it in his PP over as well, not to mention the plenty of misfields and fumbles they made.
Complete fluke that they won this TBH, they didn't do a damn thing.

Or maybe, just maybe, India won it because they were the better team.

Zak, MSD, Gambhir, WFGs. Yuvi full of epicness this tournament. UV/Kohli/Raina brilliant in the field, Kohli did his bit with the bat here and Raina in his other chances. MSD absolutely superb tactically last 3 games and now leading from the front with the bat, I'd now rank him as India's best ever captain (possibly second to Mansour Ali Khan Pataudi). We bowled well (until the last 10), fielded brilliantly (right throughout) and chased that down magnificently.

Absolutely brilliant stuff. India are now World Champions and deserve every ****ing moment of it.

And spare a thought for Sachin (14 off 18) and Murali (8 overs for 39). Both all-time Greats bowing down from the game they have given their lives too (well in Murali's case anyways, not sure about Sachin yet), and playing their final WC games. Terrific stuff, and I was genuinely depressed when Sachin got out; not because I was worried India was going to lose (although I was), but because this innings of his might very well be the last innings of Sachin Tendulkar I'll ever see in ODIs. The thought nearly brought tears to my eyes.

But hey - team India gave Sachin the best farewell gift he could have asked for. His resume is complete. And India have defied all the critics.

We're World Champions. Haters can suck it.
Time for a new avatar, *****. See the avatar thread. ;)