• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

the big bambino

International Captain
Abbott's been playing at the Oval so would bring him in for Haze unless Starc's shoulder keeps him out. Marsh deserves a spot but if he can't bowl I'd play Green ahead of him.

loterry1994

International Debutant
And yet, there's precious little difference in the stats between Hazlewood, Starc and Cummins. I'd say he looked somewhat fresher than the skipper at OT.
Haze was terrible at old Trafford but don’t think he’ll get dropped now. Someone had to take the wickets eventually with how aggressive England was batting . England already had like 450 runs before Hazlewood was getting his wickets

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Well it official, Zac Crawley now better than David Warner. ICC rankings have Crawley up to #35, Warner #36

Molehill

International Captain
Haze was terrible at old Trafford but don’t think he’ll get dropped now. Someone had to take the wickets eventually with how aggressive England was batting . England already had like 450 runs before Hazlewood was getting his wickets
He went for a run less an over than both Cummins and Starc. Yes, someone had to take the wickets eventually, but it was still him.

Abbott's been playing at the Oval so would bring him in for Haze unless Starc's shoulder keeps him out. Marsh deserves a spot but if he can't bowl I'd play Green ahead of him.
Abbott has been playing well, but his figures in the CC this season are almost identical to both Jordan Clark and Dan Worrall's. All 3 have 37 wickets at averages between 23-25. He would strengthen the tail though, which seems to be part of the latest Aus plan.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Well it official, Zac Crawley now better than David Warner. ICC rankings have Crawley up to #35, Warner #36
Which is fair enough at the moment.

Warner is finished at this level, great player but time has caught up with him and this should be his last test - Aus need to move on from him.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Which is fair enough at the moment.

Warner is finished at this level, great player but time has caught up with him and this should be his last test - Aus need to move on from him.
We've been saying that for over 2 years, selectors obviously think otherwise

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think it's doubly important because Khawaja is 36 and although playing well, won't be around for that much longer and you need Warner's replacement bedded in by the time he retires.

Like England though, there aren't many obviously candidates to do the job.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
It's a shame he's held on for as long as he has, had Warner walked 2-3 years ago his test career average would hold up against some of the very best openers.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A very good point, first time we've not announced it a couple of days before hand.

Clearly going to have a look at the pitch this time, before making the call.
Presumably Moeen stays at 3, so it's not about whether to play a spinner. I reckon it's down to which of the quicker bowlers are deemed to be fit enough, especially as Woakes is rumoured to be carrying an injury.

Molehill

International Captain
Don’t think it would of mattered anyway don’t think Australia have reacted much to who England have picked in their team days out
Agreed, don't think it makes any difference at all. Australia clearly picked their team at OT more based on the weather.

I think the delay this time is purely based on the fitness of Woakes/Wood.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Utterly pointless when still going on percentage instead of points . Who really cares, when the system is stupid.

I'd rather win the Ashes than even get in the final of the WTC.

We've got 5 rank turners in India to look forward to so utterly no chance of us making the final.

That being said I hope we can still win next week, but it's very much meh. Rain will impact it, so no doubt ends 2-1 Aus. So i just want the football season now.

Got to wait till September till proper cricket is back cos of the joke that is the hundred. As Durham lose some of their best players for the one day cup.
For all matters in regards to the World Test Championship (WTC), including queries, concerns, or questions about the WTC scoring system - please call the ICC on 1800ICCWTC. There may be a high volume of calls but please continue to hold and they will be with you as soon as possible.

Now that the funny stuff is out of the way.....fact is the 5th Ashes Test is for WTC points, both Australia and England will be out to win the match

ocs123

Cricket Spectator
I'm getting a bit frustrated with England's stubbornness.

Similar to picking Bairstow as WK, it feels like they keep selecting Anderson based on reputation rather than performance.

Could have given Tongue another runout, who has looked more threatening this Summer and actually has a chance of playing in the next Ashes series.

Gob

International Coach
As hard as it is to be believed, we might get few rain related interruptions this game