• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The only "big moments" in terms of little half-chances which could genuinely have tilted a balanced Test in one direction happened in Cardiff.
You could make a decent case for Haddin's dropping of Root being the single moment that cost Aus the series.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I think the 60 all out actually wasn't as bad a batting performance, as such, as some of the other capitulations on this tour so far.

I think someone went back through it and Australia played and missed once for the innings? Or at least before the top 7 were out.
Yes if you compared the first 50 runs in Australia's first and second innings of that game (1st innings was 8 or 9 down, 2nd innings none for), the second innings actually had more instances of the bowler beating the batsman (ie. plays and misses, edges etc.) but in the first innings every single time something happened it hit the edge, and went to a fielder and was caught.

A lot of luck involved, but England still played comfortable better than Australia in both innings so moot point in the grand scheme

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I was shocked they didn't check it again when Finn got Marsh. I assume they were actually watching for that delivery and were confident. Or it was checked on the quiet.
What was said last night on a TMS round up is that on a lot of the checks the 3rd umpire is prompting them.

Which makes it even more ****ing stupid that they're not doing every ball.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
So anyway. Follow on? I'd assume he has to as there is weather for Sunday and Monday.

CM_tQmpWoAAp3IJ.jpg

Last edited:

Flametree

International 12th Man
Anyone know if it's possible to see any highlights of yesterday anywhere? I've tried googling it but can't seem to actually see any video at any of the sites...

Compton

International Debutant
If Australia get the wickets quickly this morning then the follow on is a no brainer.

Weather pressure the next few days, and currently Siddle is the only bowler in double figures for overs bowled so fatigue of the seamers shouldn't be an issue - especially with the overnight rest.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Starc is a lot like Lee, just leaks runs and let's pressure be released for everyone else in the attack. But man when he gets it right it's a sight to behold

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Build an attack around him
Absolutely! Looking back Lillee was the greatest of that time (for me) but Thomson was in batsmens heads before Lillee was. The X factor bowler, Miller just came to mind, is the guy who you just bring in for that influence over the batsmen. Morkel is that man in world cricket at the moment, but Starc's another

Compton

International Debutant
Marsh is a better bowler than he gets credit for. He's a poorer batsman than he gets credit for.

I suppose it all levels out.