• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't think we ever batted Gilchrist at 6 but now that he's retired batting the keep at 6 has become a good idea apparently.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The latter, it just seems unnecessary. It's like you trying to drop Bairstow for Woakes or something.
Except England's batting order isnt a shambles and hence could maybe play around with one aspect of it in a dead rubber. We really cant.

Spark

Global Moderator
I just do not understand the logic behind this. If we're blacklisting Cowan/Hughes/Khawaja for the time being, then fine, but surely then you'd bring in Wade rather than bring in a ****ing sixth bowler?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think we ever batted Gilchrist at 6 but now that he's retired batting the keep at 6 has become a good idea apparently.
West Indies tour in 2003 the only occasion I can think of where it was a case of playing 5 bowlers. Brad Hogg at 7, Bichel at 8.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The Faulkner selection seems to be drawing attention away from how badly Starc has been ****ed around with. Plays the first, third and fifth Tests of a series despite doing no more or less than was expected of him.
Howe odd (late minute decision to italic howe)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I just do not understand the logic behind this. If we're blacklisting Cowan/Hughes/Khawaja for the time being, then fine, but surely then you'd bring in Wade rather than bring in a ****ing sixth bowler?
More evidence that the Australian side is NSW-lite.

Howe_zat

Audio File
*seventh.

How dare you forget the People's Champ

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to assume for now that Watson isn't fit to bowl.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cooky just said 'If i pretend to be someone else, I am not being true to myself'. **** off, hope he bags a pair. What kind of arsebanditry is that?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies tour in 2003 the only occasion I can think of where it was a case of playing 5 bowlers. Brad Hogg at 7, Bichel at 8.
Also circa-2005 when we picked Watson at 7 in his debut series, and once in 2006 against Bangladesh.

Did it a handful of times due to mid-game injury or upping the pace pre-declaration as well, adds up to about 10% of his career innings.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Faulkner selection seems to be drawing attention away from how badly Starc has been ****ed around with. Plays the first, third and fifth Tests of a series despite doing no more or less than was expected of him.
I honestly don't really have a problem with this. Australia have several quality fast bowling options right now so the selection of each of them for any given Test will be depend on form, fitness, conditions and the balance of the attack. In the end it's probably a good thing that Starc didn't have to play any consecutive Tests given how short the turnarounds were.

He was never exactly dropped on performance either and I'm going to assume that was explained to him. Lehmann said Harris wasn't quite right to go for the first Test but he was raring to go for the second so someone had to drop out, he came back in for the third after Pattinson broke and then for the fourth he was left out based on the (perceived) conditions, which again was conveyed in a public statement from Lehmann. Now he's back because the conditions are different.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
was curious to hear mickey arthur's opinion but then realised he has no right to comment