• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

whoami

Cricket Spectator
For a 1 match series Ramps needs to come in, batting at his home ground i'd put money on him scoring big runs. It's not like he's playing Warne, their bowling attack is ok but nothing Ramps can't handle. He's a difference man now, much more relaxed.
Ramps in at 3 yeeeee baby

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's something that I would love to see, but something that I fear would end in crushing dissapointment.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but you have to find them. In terms of FC record there are plenty of players like Collingwood, but he still does a decent job at Test level.

It's also beyond me why people keep mentioning Ramprakash - yet another weak-minded Test failure.
Agreed actually. I can sort of see the argument for Trescothick maing a one-off appearance, but Ramps was never one to cope with pressure. Also - and here's really clutching at staws - Tres does have some previous and producing a match-winning innings at the Oval after the side have produced an absolute horror show at Leeds. Desperate time and all that, I suppose Cook would drop to number 3.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's a pretty damning indictment of our system and talent it produces that we can seriously toss Ramps's name into the ring, but as a one-off throw of the dice I can see its merits. He's an experienced player who knows the venue like the back of his hand and has been in a typically voracious run-hungry mood once again this season. &, for all the talk of his "mental weakness", he actually averages over 42 versus Oz which I imagine compares pretty favourably with the current team. We're also not potentially chucking a younger batsman in for a debut in a crunch game & maybe setting him back if he fails.

If Tres was minded to come back as a one off I'd have him in a flash too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think it's a pretty damning indictment of our system and talent it produces that we can seriously toss Ramps's name into the ring, but as a one-off throw of the dice I can see its merits. He's an experienced player who knows the venue like the back of his hand and has been in a typically voracious run-hungry mood once again this season. &, for all the talk of his "mental weakness", he actually averages over 42 versus Oz which I imagine compares pretty favourably with the current team. We're also not potentially chucking a younger batsman in for a debut in a crunch game & maybe setting him back if he fails.

Yeah I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts as well to be honest, it's a dire situation, and it's very poor show that it's ended up like this. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and there is no point thinking of the future further than the next match at this moment in time, therefore selection should not be based on anything other than who can do a job in the next match, never mind next series. And with this criteria in mind, I honestly think Ramprakash would be one of the top men for the job.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

All points well made, and don't start me on our domestic system. Perhaps in a separate thread. If nothing else, bringing back Ramps would reduce the number of links from current test players to the first ever 'test match' to something unfeasibly small again (Ramps/Viv/ Close/etc), which might take my mind of the likely carnage at the Oval.

Incidentally, who else would you bring in given that Bell & Bopara look like gonners?

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If any of our selectors are thinking about the future (ie past this Test) when making their decisions, they should be instantly fired.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As an aside, the Aus selection will be interesting. Not many sides go into a test at the Oval without a spinner, so which of this test's attack would miss out?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As an aside, the Aus selection will be interesting. Not many sides go into a test at the Oval without a spinner, so which of this test's attack would miss out?
Would have to be Clark, I suppose. As harsh as that would be. Didn't do too much wrong, but Swann and Broad were rather rough in their handling of him this morning and all the others took wickets.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd personally leave him in the side, and let the spin be handled by a Clarke/Katich/North combination. I don't think Hauritz would be of great enough benefit to really justify his inclusion. Best not to tamper with a winning formula, even if the pitch does offer a bit for spin. However, as an England fan, I very much hope he plays.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Incidentally, who else would you bring in given that Bell & Bopara look like gonners?
If Chairman Brumby was given selectorial carte blanche my XI would be:

Strauss*
Trescothick
Cook
Ramprakash
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Onions

Assuming Flintoff's & Sidearse's fitness, obv. Harsh on Jimmy, but doesn't look fit and not convinced The old gasworks is his type of venue. Not necessarily Sid's either, but if he is fit I can't see him going missing like Anderson did today.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Strauss*
Trescothick
Cook
Ramprakash
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Onions

Assuming Flintoff's & Sidearse's fitness, obv. Harsh on Jimmy, but doesn't look fit and not convinced The old gasworks is his type of venue. Not necessarily Sid's either, but if he is fit I can't see him going missing like Anderson did today.
And if Tres is still unavailable?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Strauss*
Trescothick
Cook
Ramprakash
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Onions

I think if Trescothick has retired due to a mental illness, it would be pretty irresponsible of our selectors to push him into playing. Wonderful though it would be if we saw the 'old Tres' out there.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If any of our selectors are thinking about the future (ie past this Test) when making their decisions, they should be instantly fired.
100% awta. This is the central truth, although sadly it may pass our dear selectors by.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think if Trescothick has retired due to a mental illness, it would be pretty irresponsible of our selectors to push him into playing. Wonderful though it would be if we saw the 'old Tres' out there.
I think that overlooks Brumby's "carte blanche" stipulation though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Botham isn't the worst call - he looks pretty fit and at least that way we wouldn't have to listen to him

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously though, I think it would just be too chaotic to drop two batsmen. So then, do we end up dropping either?