• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's only played three innings tbf. But yeah, had a stinker here, he was the one to fall after the last shocking collapse, don't think they'll scapegoat him again.
Haha oh yeah that is true, had forgotten that he only played the 1 at Edgbaston, but even then he should have been out extremely cheaply. I know panicking is not the way to get success, but it's so obvious that change is needed, and his name should be second on the list, no question, he has done nothing to suggest he is any more well equipped to succeed for at this level since he was axed last time round, I would bet that if it was Ravi who had been injured rather than Pietersen, they would have gone for Trott. I really think the only way Bell could be justfied as a selection at all is due to his experience, which so far has been worth nothing, gah.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook is probably a bit lucky that the other bats failed tbf, he's done very little this series.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah me too, don't think the selectors will have the balls to axe him after 4 innings, even though they really ought to. Will go with the "he deserves a proper chance to showcase himself" attitude, ignoring the fact that he has been very poor for a long time now and has played dreadfully in the two matches this series.
Haha oh yeah that is true, had forgotten that he only played the 1 at Edgbaston, but even then he should have been out extremely cheaply. I know panicking is not the way to get success, but it's so obvious that change is needed, and his name should be second on the list, no question, he has done nothing to suggest he is any more well equipped to succeed for at this level since he was axed last time round, I would bet that if it was Ravi who had been injured rather than Pietersen, they would have gone for Trott. I really think the only way Bell could be justfied as a selection at all is due to his experience, which so far has been worth nothing, gah.
The worst thing Bell has done for himself is to stay in for a few deliveries and demonstrate to everyone how not-good-enough he is. If he'd got out first ball in both innings no one would really know what he could do. Instead his incompetence has been on show for all to see.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Cook is probably a bit lucky that the other bats failed tbf, he's done very little this series.
At least his previous record is pretty reasonable, and he hasn't done dreadfully, just been very mediocre. Even if everyone else had played a blinder I very much doubt there would have been any threat to his place in the side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This will sound a bit stupid, but part of the reason I haven't been slating Cook so far is he hasn't been scoring 50s, bar one. Normally what irks me about him is his failure to convert, so as such I've barely noticed him.

pup11

International Coach
I think Cook and Strauss form a very potent opening combo, and in the absence of KP, England depend heavily on these two to give them a solid start, Cook obviously has some technical issues, but he is by far the best man to open the batting with Strauss.

Then again I raised this point in the 4th test thread, and I say it again, England now aren't really in a position to chop and change much, the likes of Bopara and Bell are heavy run scorers in the CC, and if they fairing so miserably, what are the chances of someone else coming in and doing well.

The fact that the English selectors went back to Bell, despite seeing how awfully he fared during his previous few test matches, kind of indicates the lack of better options.

I have a gut feeling that England aren't going to drop either Bopara or Bell for the 5th test, and the only change could be, Freddie coming in for Harmison.

jackster83

Cricket Spectator
I have a gut feeling that England aren't going to drop either Bopara or Bell for the 5th test, and the only change could be, Freddie coming in for Harmison.
Surely Bopara won't keep his spot for the final test. He has been found out as bad as Yuvraj "unless it's Pakistan, I won't try" Singh was against us a few years ago. His body language and the limp shots he has got out on, show that even he knows he is dead man walking. Your number 3 should be your best batsman and Bopara definitely isn't your best batsman. Unless KP is miraculously fit to play, then Key, Joyce or Trott should replace Bopara.

Or how about you bring back Vaughan and Tresco from retirement and we bring back Warnie? That would be epic viewing :cool:

Pigeon

Banned
Strauss
Cook
Ramprakash
Collingwood
Trott
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Onions

This is the squad I'd like to see.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Then again I raised this point in the 4th test thread, and I say it again, England now aren't really in a position to chop and change much, the likes of Bopara and Bell are heavy run scorers in the CC, and if they fairing so miserably, what are the chances of someone else coming in and doing well.
Those two fail because they're mentally soft as ****e. If England can find someone decent with a strong mind they'll do far better than those two.

Pigeon

Banned
Those two fail because they're mentally soft as ****e. If England can find someone decent with a strong mind they'll do far better than those two.
But does there exist such a species as "Strongwilled and able English batsmen" nowadays? The last one played his last test match eons ago and is confined to booking 100 after 100 for Surrey.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
One good thing for us is that we usually put in our best performances after having been utter crap the match before.

Scaly piscine

But does there exist such a species as "Strongwilled and able English batsmen" nowadays? The last one played his last test match eons ago and is confined to booking 100 after 100 for Surrey.
Yes, but you have to find them. In terms of FC record there are plenty of players like Collingwood, but he still does a decent job at Test level.

It's also beyond me why people keep mentioning Ramprakash - yet another weak-minded Test failure.

Pigeon

Banned
Yes, but you have to find them. In terms of FC record there are plenty of players like Collingwood, but he still does a decent job at Test level.

It's also beyond me why people keep mentioning Ramprakash - yet another weak-minded Test failure.
Ramp actually peaked after being dropped from tests. I am damn sure given the quality of pitches post 2001, he'd have made a killing on the form that he was in.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
One good thing for us is that we usually put in our best performances after having been utter crap the match before.
I get the distinct impression that you've spent the whole of the last six hours looking for crumbs of comfort.............good find though.

fredfertang

There are precedents for selections like Ramps - although in his case it's even more blindingly obvious than any in the past

Scaly piscine

Ramp actually peaked after being dropped from tests. I am damn sure given the quality of pitches post 2001, he'd have made a killing on the form that he was in.
Ramprakash is still mentally weak, it doesn't matter about form and how much he can cash in against county bowlers when the pressure is off. Stick him in a pressure situation he will still massively underperform. Whether it's the 1990s or last week. He fell apart just trying to get his 100th hundred. That's why Bell should never have been recalled. The mental weakness doesn't just go away. Bell can score as many runs for Warwickshire as he likes, he'll still fail for England when it counts. Unfortunately the England selectors don't have the guts to put a line under his international career for the foreseeable future. Bell is the new Ramprakash, neither should be anywhere near the side.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
There are precedents for selections like Ramps - although in his case it's even more blindingly obvious than any in the past
Given that Mark Butcher apparently laughed and said Ramprakash would 'never get through the match' on TMS, it doesn't sound like a brilliant idea to bring him back.

Anyway, Trott's got as good a record as Ramprakash this season, and he hasn't been feasting on Division 2 rubbish bowling.

Pigeon

Banned
Ramprakash is still mentally weak, it doesn't matter about form and how much he can cash in against county bowlers when the pressure is off. Stick him in a pressure situation he will still massively underperform. Whether it's the 1990s or last week. He fell apart just trying to get his 100th hundred. That's why Bell should never have been recalled. The mental weakness doesn't just go away. Bell can score as many runs for Warwickshire as he likes, he'll still fail for England when it counts. Unfortunately the England selectors don't have the guts to put a line under his international career for the foreseeable future. Bell is the new Ramprakash, neither should be anywhere near the side.
I am not suggesting Mark is the messiah. But given the state England is in, and the series is in, he is a better gamble than anyone.

Off topic slightly, I absolutely loved this moment.