• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was unusually sanguine before the game and with some justification too it seems.

However my atypical calmness mainly stems from it not being in our hands anymore.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Look what Portsmouth achieved when we got rid of them…..nice guys but glorified PE teachers!
Yeah but look what they did with Braintree and Lincoln…different challenge and expectations with Pompey. I’d expect Colchester to mount a play-off challenge next season, it’s the sort of scenario they excel in and a manager who knows how to get L2 can make a huge difference, especially with two of the big budget sides out of the way.

I also expect us to be better next season because we have a good manager.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spurs were the better team for basically the entire game. Perfect outcome for Arsenal - get the win while Spurs play well enough to show they might give City some problems.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah but look what they did with Braintree and Lincoln…different challenge and expectations with Pompey. I’d expect Colchester to mount a play-off challenge next season, it’s the sort of scenario they excel in and a manager who knows how to get L2 can make a huge difference, especially with two of the big budget sides out of the way.

I also expect us to be better next season because we have a good manager.
I hope for Colchester's sake you're right, but for me it felt like their style of football (and I'm still not entirely certain what that is) got found out. Really nice guys, who remain well liked in Pompey, but their limitations were exposed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Spurs were the better team for basically the entire game. Perfect outcome for Arsenal - get the win while Spurs play well enough to show they might give City some problems.
The problem I fear, is that for Spurs to realistically get anything out of that game they will need to have sufficient motivation/something to play for (i.e., CL qualification). And for that to still be a prospect on the final day of the season (i.e., when they play City), quite a lot will have to fall into place for them between now and then. Their next two games are Chelsea and Liverpool, which could be problematic, especially Liverpool obviously. If they no longer have a chance to qualify, then the only thing they stand to gain by trying to beat City will (potentially, assuming Arsenal don't slip up) will be handing Arsenal the league. I can't think of a scenario in which Spurs' fans would be happier to lose haha.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reminds me of that situation involving Lazio and Roma in the late 80s. I forget the exact permutation, but it was the last game of the season where Lazio (I think) needed to win to avoid relegation, but a win would mean beating the league leaders, thereby handing Roma the Serie A title. Loads of Lazio fans were actively rooting for them to lose and be relegated just to spite Roma. Lazio won and stayed up, but Roma (iirc managed by Sven at the time) completely stacked it and lost to an already relegated side, meaning someone else ended up winning the league anyway. But it's a funny and memorable tale.

Molehill

International Captain
Reminds me of that situation involving Lazio and Roma in the late 80s. I forget the exact permutation, but it was the last game of the season where Lazio (I think) needed to win to avoid relegation, but a win would mean beating the league leaders, thereby handing Roma the Serie A title. Loads of Lazio fans were actively rooting for them to lose and be relegated just to spite Roma. Lazio won and stayed up, but Roma (iirc managed by Sven at the time) completely stacked it and lost to an already relegated side, meaning someone else ended up winning the league anyway. But it's a funny and memorable tale.
I think the best hope for Arsenal is to still be within 2 on the final day. City have shown more than once they're susceptible in the last game at home, they've got away with it before, but West Ham could easily cause issues.

Ironically, I will be in Lisbon on that day visiting my Best Man - he's a massive Arsenal fan and it will take us back to Uni days of a certain Andy Linighan goal to win a Cup Final Replay (he properly trashed our house in celebration that night).