• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
They certainly need a quality back up for them, they looked woeful when they got tired at the end of the season as they had played so many games. Problems of a small squad compared to City. They sign the players mentioned and it goes a long way to giving them the depth they need.
You know City used the least amount of players in the league this season yeah?

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Sky Sports are letting go some of their football staff.

The biggest name is Martin Tyler who has been their main commentator from the start of the channel.

Geoff Shreeves had been told he can stay as long as he accepts a significant pay cut.

Bianca Westwood has also been given the push.

With Jeff Stelling already gone Sky's football presentation is not going to be the same. Its been going downhill fast anyway. I reckon Soccer Saturday will only survive one more season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You know City used the least amount of players in the league this season yeah?
There's a difference between giving Grealish 30 games and Foden 20 on one side and Bernardo 35 and Mahrez 15 on the other against playing Saka and Martinelli 45 times each and using 4 other players across the other 10.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
There's a difference between giving Grealish 30 games and Foden 20 on one side and Bernardo 35 and Mahrez 15 on the other against playing Saka and Martinelli 45 times each and using 4 other players across the other 10.
I agree with Arsenal lacking quality depth, especially in the spine.

I'm tired of reading that City have a massive squad. City have one of the smallest squads in the league. A remarkable lack of injuries masked that this season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I agree with Arsenal lacking quality depth, especially in the spine.

I'm tired of reading that City have a massive squad. City have the smallest squad in the league. A remarkable lack of injuries masked that this season.
City have a massive depth of quality in their squad that nobody else has, which probably gives rise to that perception. None of Kyle Walker, American Laporte, Kalvin Phillips, Riyad Mahrez, Phil Foden and Julian Alvarez started the Champions League final, all of those players probably walk into any other top 4 lineup.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
City have a massive depth of quality in their squad that nobody else has, which probably gives rise to that perception. None of Kyle Walker, American Laporte, Kalvin Phillips, Riyad Mahrez, Phil Foden and Julian Alvarez started the Champions League final, all of those players probably walk into any other top 4 lineup.
They all walk into most sides around Europe. The depth City have is ridiculous. They could emulate Real Madrid and win multiple Champions Leagues in a row now They have done it and got the monkey off their back. They are that good and that strong.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
What are you not understanding here? Depth in quality does not equal massive squad. You won't hear me argue City have a lack of quality, though I'd probably argue Kalvin Phillips who was genuinely bad every time he stepped foot on the pitch this year.

It's just tiring reading the latter because it's just plainly not true. Chelsea have a massive squad. City played 24 players the entire season and two of them played less than 30 minutes each. Cancelo was in Germany for half the season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What are you not understanding here? Depth in quality does not equal massive squad. You won't hear me argue City have a lack of quality, though I'd probably argue Kalvin Phillips who was genuinely bad every time he stepped foot on the pitch this year.

It's just tiring reading the latter because it's just plainly not true. Chelsea have a massive squad. City played 24 players the entire season and two of them played less than 30 minutes each. Cancelo was in Germany for half the season.
Haha I'm agreeing with you, just explaining why I think there's perception that City have a huge squad.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've always liked Tyler, and it'll be weird without him, but at the same time I don't think it'll be much of a loss. He's still fine, but does feel a bit like his time has come and gone.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Opens the door for Lewis to play more I guess. Has looked pretty gun when I've seen him.
Think it will be mostly Stones at RB/dropping into midfield with Lewis as his backup which is fine (and probably why Kyle wants to move on). Just think it's weird that Bayern would want a 33yo right back.

CartyDurham

To give other teams a chance could the super league teams just leave English football and let others have a bit of fun ?

likes of city, United, Liverpool etc etc

CartyDurham

It’s pointless for any team going up playing City as they can just bring a £100 million player on if they are losing

I like city’s style of play though but it’s getting impossible to see them not being champions forever

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still think as long as Klopp is there Liverpool will be the next non-City team to win the league. But I think City will win again next year and IIRC that will be a first time ever 4 in a row.

Tangles

I’m not getting the Mount to United talk. I’ve mainly seen him play for England and I don’t see where he fits. Maybe as a backup for Bruno in an attacking midfield role? He isn’t going to be sitting deep or challenging Eriksen or Casemiro. I guess he could play forward with Bruno and a single DM but that hasn’t worked when tried at all.

CartyDurham

I’m not getting the Mount to United talk. I’ve mainly seen him play for England and I don’t see where he fits. Maybe as a backup for Bruno in an attacking midfield role? He isn’t going to be sitting deep or challenging Eriksen or Casemiro. I guess he could play forward with Bruno and a single DM but that hasn’t worked when tried at all.
I think Eriksen maybe the man to make way for mount if it happens . Not saying that’s right it’s just what I think might happen