• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

Niall

International Coach
So composer of this sadly died and as I knew SFA about him went down the rabbit hole and I did not know he did the world cup 2002 song.

I have gone back and forth on it, but it's not very good is it?

Although I suppose its not a surprise as it was a pretty rancid World Cup .

:sadangel:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So composer of this sadly died and as I knew SFA about him went down the rabbit hole and I did not know he did the world cup 2002 song.

I have gone back and forth on it, but it's not very good is it?

Although I suppose its not a surprise as it was a pretty rancid World Cup .

:sadangel:
As someone who really enjoyed WC 2002 I don't think I've ever heard this song before.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
haha this person's solution is literally "let's decide things by playing an entirely different game"

may as well decide things by playing fortnite

Howe_zat

Audio File
Penalties works just fine because there's a decent chance of missing. But if you want to change it up a bit, it might be quite fun to move the spot around a bit for the 5 kicks.

In rugby union, there was the first ever penalty shootout in 2009 and they had blokes kicking from right in front of the sticks. It was good as a Tigers fan since we won it, but it was kinda stupid because all the regular kickers scored and then it went to sudden death with the 8th and 9th choice players, who were forwards who had never kicked at goal before in a senior game.

After that they changed it so as all 5 had to take the kick from different places, including some quite tricky angles. So teams had to pick their kickers carefully thinking about easy/hard kicks and who's right/left footed etc. Munster and Toulouse had a shootout like this in this year's heineken cup and it was genuinely gun imo.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Every time we get to the business end of a season or tournament a disgruntled bunch of losers come up with an alternative to penalties. It's great drama if not entirely satisfactory.

We must end the ‘lottery’ of penalty shoot-outs. Here’s an alternative… (msn.com)
Most interesting new suggestion I saw elsewhere was to keep the shoot-out but let players take multiple attempts through the process with no restrictions. If you want to have the same taker for all 5 go for it. I couldn't fault the argument too much.

Niall

International Coach
Most interesting new suggestion I saw elsewhere was to keep the shoot-out but let players take multiple attempts through the process with no restrictions. If you want to have the same taker for all 5 go for it. I couldn't fault the argument too much.
Man Utd v Villareal peno shoot out few years ago was a banger where everyone took a penalty and DDG missed. Its perfectly fine the way it is tbh.

On Mbappe, LOL at Real Madrid, but I don't see the point in playing in such a pointless league but it is what it is I suppose.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
i did hope to wake up to a classic wpdavid rant today
Meh. Obviously losing from that position against Fleverton is indefensible, and you'd prefer them to show some evidence of fortitude instead of looking like rabbits in headlights in that situation, but we're safe and it's been a decent season, so it doesn't really matter if their minds on are a beach somewhere else by now. The one concern is that Vieira will end up in trouble, in which case I just wish he'd hit the ignorant ****er properly.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Some nitwit psychologist has decided that the pandemic is to blame for the unruly pitch invasions because people have forgotten how to behave.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Man Utd v Villareal peno shoot out few years ago was a banger where everyone took a penalty and DDG missed. Its perfectly fine the way it is tbh.

On Mbappe, LOL at Real Madrid, but I don't see the point in playing in such a pointless league but it is what it is I suppose.
Yeah, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the current system. But the idea that teams can lose an important game because their goalkeeper can't take a penalty was part of the reason behind it. Stemmed from some talk about the systems in similar situations for ice hockey, where it'd be considered bonkers if your goaltender was forced to have a go instead of just having the other players go again. I'd just like to see some playing around with it at lower levels to see if any of the other options lead to something that feels both entertaining and fair. The ABBA system was played with and cast aside because it was considered confusing for fans, but there's plenty of other versions of a shoot-out that haven't been considered.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the current system. But the idea that teams can lose an important game because their goalkeeper can't take a penalty was part of the reason behind it. Stemmed from some talk about the systems in similar situations for ice hockey, where it'd be considered bonkers if your goaltender was forced to have a go instead of just having the other players go again. I'd just like to see some playing around with it at lower levels to see if any of the other options lead to something that feels both entertaining and fair. The ABBA system was played with and cast aside because it was considered confusing for fans, but there's plenty of other versions of a shoot-out that haven't been considered.
Shooting from 12 yards isn't exactly difficult though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taking the pens before the match, always the answer for me, but yeah it won't change partly because it's ****ing entertaining, and the simplicity of it is what makes it entertaining.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Taking the pens before the match, always the answer for me, but yeah it won't change partly because it's ****ing entertaining, and the simplicity of it is what makes it entertaining.
Surely taking them before the match risks a whole lot of boring

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Shooting from 12 yards isn't exactly difficult though.
It may not be the hardest task in the world, but why make the players who spend 99% of their training time to stop the ball entering the net have a go at putting it in? Just feels unfair on the players themselves to change their roles in the contest.