• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I love the BBC article about things that didn't happen because of strange interventions. Inspired by the possibility of Liverpool being denied the League title the best they could come up with was Everton winning the European Cup in the early days of the English ban and Yugoslavia winning the World Cup in 1994. Not sure either of those were quite as likely.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, I read LT's post and thought, I bet Furball will pipe up about Yugoslavia

Don't disagree btw. Even going to the late 90s, Croatia were good, the team under the Yugoslavia banner underwhelmed in 98 but had the talent. And the eventual winners of Euro 92 were only there in the first place to take Yugoslavia's place.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn’t dispute that Yugoslavia had a lot of high quality players in that era. But they were hardly as certain to win the World Cup as Liverpool are currently to win the Premier League.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I love the BBC article about things that didn't happen because of strange interventions. Inspired by the possibility of Liverpool being denied the League title the best they could come up with was Everton winning the European Cup in the early days of the English ban and Yugoslavia winning the World Cup in 1994. Not sure either of those were quite as likely.
Well no, you'd be hard pressed to find something as likely as Liverpool managing not to lose a 20+ point lead at this stage of the season.

Maybe a likelier bet than the ones mentioned would have been Manchester Utd winning the European Cup in the early 1960's if Munich hadn't happened. They would certainly have dominated English football throughout the first half of the 1960s, great though the 1961 Tottenham team were.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Everything below the sixth tier in England was voided weeks ago. Now the fifth and sixth tiers have been ended, but with no decision yet on promotion or relegation. I could see Barrow being promoted to the EFL with no one being relegated to level up the numbers that were screwed by Bury’s demise - maybe.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Everything below the sixth tier in England was voided weeks ago. Now the fifth and sixth tiers have been ended, but with no decision yet on promotion or relegation. I could see Barrow being promoted to the EFL with no one being relegated to level up the numbers that were screwed by Bury’s demise - maybe.
end the tyranny of the 92, expand the Football League to a fifth division :ph34r:

cpr

International Coach
I would like Barrow to **** off TBH, cesspool that it is

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I would like Barrow to **** off TBH, cesspool that it is
It's a dump certainly. But I have a bit of a soft spot for the football team as they were unjustly booted out in the early 70's in favour of Hereford just because they beat Newcastle in the cup.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha, I read LT's post and thought, I bet Furball will pipe up about Yugoslavia

Don't disagree btw. Even going to the late 90s, Croatia were good, the team under the Yugoslavia banner underwhelmed in 98 but had the talent. And the eventual winners of Euro 92 were only there in the first place to take Yugoslavia's place.
Yugoslavia's Euro 92 squad was actually a bit crap but Croatia and Slovenia declared independence in 1991 so the likes of Boban and Prosinecki weren't selected.

Their depth of talent in midfield during the 90s was absolutely ridiculous - and it would have been fascinating to see a manager try and stick as many playmakers into the side as possible.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yugoslavia's Euro 92 squad was actually a bit crap but Croatia and Slovenia declared independence in 1991 so the likes of Boban and Prosinecki weren't selected.

Their depth of talent in midfield during the 90s was absolutely ridiculous - and it would have been fascinating to see a manager try and stick as many playmakers into the side as possible.
i think the main problem would have been that the team would have tried to poisoned each others' breakfast because they suspected the other guy's grandad was a cetnik

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Dutch league declared void then. Wonder how long it will take for others to follow suit.
It was a weird thing to follow. The professional clubs were invited to a consultative vote, but most of them said it would be unfair to vote on the fate of rival clubs and so declined. This left the league office with a really awkward position of having abandoned responsibility and then having to take it again.

Germany's decision will be made next Thursday it seems. I suspect/hope the state will step in against ghost games just to finish the season, I don't think the argument that "the people need circus" will fly.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Nothing to do with my own politics but isn't the state stepping in against FIFA protocol?
Technically. So is playing football in unhealthy conditions.

It would certainly be very weird if all organized football except the professional level was cancelled, but that's what the German league is proposing right now

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It surely is, I reckon. Even if they get some sort of official go-ahead, which I think is doubtful, all it will take is a few players saying "look, I'm not happy about this, and won't be taking part", which is probably inevitable, for the whole thing to go up in smoke.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nothing to do with my own politics but isn't the state stepping in against FIFA protocol?
Isn't that to do with FIFA not liking it when governments interfere in how individual FAs are run?

I don't think the state stepping in and banning large gatherings for public health reasons has anything to do with FIFA.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
UEFA have allegedly set a deadline of May 25th for countries stating whether they want to complete or cancel the season. No reasoning based on anything other than they have a meeting on the 27th. Idiots.