• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Liverpool have been sluggish by their standards toward the end of the season even though they kept on winning. The high octane pressing and passing hasn't been there consistently. They were very poor and fortunate in the Newcastle game before they played Barcelona.

andmark

International Captain
I suppose it's to be expected from such a physically demanding style they play. Similar thing happened last season as well.

I'm terrified watching this parade. I can't decide whether it'll be the trophy or Klopp who falls off. Wijnaldum's phone has already taken a fall.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done Liverpool, dire game but better team won no doubt about that regardless of the penalty incident.

Also RIP Reyes, awful news, too young.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Reyes isn't the one who should be mourned, the two people he took with him by driving at 120mph and crashing are the people who should be mourned.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
To save me doing anything too drastic (like research). Does anyone know which other teams aside from Liverpool have won the Champions League without winning their domestic league since the format has allowed non-champions to qualify? Not necessarily not winning it the following season as domestic champions - just never having won the domestic league at all since the European Cup was expanded.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not many I do not think. Quite a few who have won it without winning their domestic league in either the same or preceding season though I should imagine.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To save me doing anything too drastic (like research). Does anyone know which other teams aside from Liverpool have won the Champions League without winning their domestic league since the format has allowed non-champions to qualify? Not necessarily not winning it the following season as domestic champions - just never having won the domestic league at all since the European Cup was expanded.
Leverkusen reached the final in 01/02.

I'm pretty sure the Valencia side which reached the final in 2000 and 2001 hadn't won the title either - I think they won a title in the early 00s so this might not be correct.

It's hardly a stick to beat Liverpool with anyway, given the criteria you're looking for is basically 'name a team from Europe's top leagues who haven't won a title in ages but who were quite good one season'.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It was nothing to do with beating Liverpool with sticks. It came up on the radio that they’d been Champions of Europe twice in the CL era without being Champions of England in the same era. I just wondered if any other teams had won it without ever winning their domestic league in the same CL era. At the time I didn’t have time to look it up. Though in hindsight I could have looked it up in the time it took to write the question on here. But driving through Nottingham addles the brain.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Big enough for the usual idiots to start smashing up pubs and getting into fights with the police abroad over, apparently.

Uppercut

So far you can tell it apart from a real major tournament by the fact that the matches are actually ****ing great.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So far you can tell it apart from a real major tournament by the fact that the matches are actually ****ing great.
Not least the first semi-final. Obviously supporting Switzerland, but consoled myself with the thought that I was watching a genuine ATG who probably won't be around much longer doing something quite extraordinary.

Uppercut

Not least the first semi-final. Obviously supporting Switzerland, but consoled myself with the thought that I was watching a genuine ATG who probably won't be around much longer doing something quite extraordinary.
The two England-Spain games were brilliant too. You can always tell the players are 100% up for the games.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I must say I hadn't realised England were playing tonight until I saw the news of all the fans being arrested earlier on today, but now that I know I am quite looking forward to watching.