• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2007

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It was a glorified net practice and the way to work on reverse swing is to work with a ball that is capable of reversing.

I dont have too many issues with this as it was a work out for the bowlers.

If it was a competetive FC game then he should be heavily punished. As it is I can understand his motives.

Given (as many here know) my ultra-low opinion of Key, Im not defending him for anyother reason than it probably seemed a good idea at the time.

Little difference (given the status of the 'game') to doctoring a ball to work on reverse swing in the nets

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also something else that has happened is that they have introduced appeals against umpiring decisions in the 50 over comp. Link
I have no time for these sort of "improvements", it reeks to much of American behaviour. They are taking away the human factor from umpiring and trying to replace it with technology which I feel is a mistake. The respect for umpires will be greatly diminished.
I agree, i think this system is nothing more than a compromise for the safety of the umpires careers, i think we should either go the whole hogg and leave the umpire in complete charge if and when he wants to use the technology avalible to him or not at all.
I was saying that yesterday. People are going to accuse umpires diminishing thier position in the game. Whats the point of having perfect decisions? human error makes for better viewing IMO
What's the point in having perfect decisions? That's like asking what's the point in trying to cure cancer.

Bad decisions do not make the game any better to watch, an umpire making a wrong decision is more frustrating than entertaining, i watch cricket for the skill and the competition, not to see an umpire give a batsman out when it clearly pitched 3 miles outside leg.
I honestly believe cricket would be better for every decision to be as right as possible, but appeals against decisions are not the way to go IMO and I hate the idea. The most important part of an Umpire's role is as an authority figure, not an arbitrator, and the idea of appeals against decisions undermines this, fatally.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
so England do the right thing and feebly bow out the day before the domestic season gets underway in earnest.

Fixtures for today

LV County Championship - Division One
Surrey v Yorkshire, The Brit Oval, 11:00
Sussex v Kent, Hove, 11:00
Warwickshire v Lancashire, Edgbaston, 11:00
Worcestershire v Durham, New Road, 11:00

LV County Championship - Division Two
Essex v Derbyshire, Chelmsford, 11:00
Nottinghamshire v Leicestershire, Trent Bridge, 11:00
Somerset v Middlesex, Taunton, 11:00
I'm a bit worried about how we will go in Birmingham to be honest.

Side is likely to be

Sutcliffe
Chilton(c)
Loye
Law
Horton
Sutton
Hogg
Chapple
Cork
Smith
Keedy

with Newby missing out. Hope Horton does well with his chance before Hodge arrives.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like my fears were well founded, we've bowled tripe today according to the radio. Left Smith out as well for some reason.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
By the sounds of it, York****e are all set for a big total at The Oval. Can not see the likes of Steve Magoffin (why the **** did they sign him?), Azhar Mahmood or indeed Jimmy Ormond causing many problems for a team that has the likes of Younis Khan and Jacques Rudolph still to bat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a :wallbash: situation as to why so many rubbish overseas\EU-passport\Kolpak players get signed.

What an absurd waste of money! 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good to see Darren Maddy opening the batting in the longer form again... just a shame it's for Warks instead of Leics. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds like my fears were well founded, we've bowled tripe today according to the radio. Left Smith out as well for some reason.
How the **** does OLIVER NEWBY get in the side ahead of him???????????

Here's hoping he had some sort of injury...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
By the sounds of it, York****e are all set for a big total at The Oval. Can not see the likes of Steve Magoffin (why the **** did they sign him?), Azhar Mahmood or indeed Jimmy Ormond causing many problems for a team that has the likes of Younis Khan and Jacques Rudolph still to bat.
Well they have a chance now, just took two quick wickets and both men are in. Clarke and Mahmood with the wickets. :ph34r:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath batting ahead of Younis Khan... O.............. K..........
Mcgrath has average 60 over the past couple of years batting at 3, plus i think Younis Khan only bats at 3 for Pakistan, when he was over here last he batted lower down and i think he bats 4 for his domestic side when he plays for them. Could be he wants to bat at 4

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mcgrath has average 60 over the past couple of years batting at 3, plus i think Younis Khan only bats at 3 for Pakistan, when he was over here last he batted lower down and i think he bats 4 for his domestic side when he plays for them. Could be he wants to bat at 4
Don't see why he'd want to bat four, that's all, I'm well aware of McGrath's excellent recent scoring. Never taken note of his batting positions in Pakistan FC cricket.