• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season 2006

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
Well Simon Wilde in the times this morning had Lancashire down to be relegated in the CC along with Sussex...
Lancashire do normaly underachieve that said i would be more than pleased if Hampshire managed to get a draw out of the game at Old Trafford next week.

Sussex may well go down but i would have thought Middelsex and Yorkshire were more likely candiates, i think Durham will stay up.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah im not expecting anything great from us this year but i think we should finish comfortbaly middle table. I would be dissapointed if we did not finish above yorkshi*e and Durham.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
yeah im not expecting anything great from us this year but i think we should finish comfortbaly middle table. I would be dissapointed if we did not finish above yorkshi*e and Durham.
I would be suprised if you were relegated. Its much better with 2 down instead of the 3. 3 was obsurd, even though Hampshire had a very good season last year i was still slighlty worried about relagation untill the last few weeks of the season.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Looking a bit thin in the seam-department, but hopefully, if Streak finds some form, our spin attack, having signed Vettori, will be able to take the wickets. Not too sure about how we're going to do in the shorter version of the game - we've never really had as much success in that department as we have in the County Championship - but y'never know. Let's see how it goes in the first few games and take it from there. ;)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
Notts monstering the MCC attack. Gallian with 171, Read unbeaten on 100 (good to see him scoring runs, keep it up) and Ealham on the verge of almost sewing up the Walter Lawrence trophy in the first game with 87* from 38 balls. Monty and Rikki taking some stick
Nice to see Read amongst the runs early doors. MCC looks effectively an England A team with Stephenson as the token old lag.

Mind you Geraint's 50 in the 7th ODI will probably be enough to secure his place for the summer....

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Nice to see Read amongst the runs early doors. MCC looks effectively an England A team with Stephenson as the token old lag.

Mind you Geraint's 50 in the 7th ODI will probably be enough to secure his place for the summer....
unfortunately I think it is :(
Read's a better keeper, and scores runs..bring back Read!!!

open365

International Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:

Yeh, all Jones needs to do is get one average score every ten games and Fletch will never drop him.

I don't want to start the keeping debate off again, but it's true, go read!

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
Weather suggests there will be about half an hours play in the Lancs - Hants match
I hope there is some play. I have been looking forward to seeing how that match pans out. Ill only be following it online or on TV (via BBCi text) but its a very intriguing game.

The Lancs side is certainly full of runs. Theres no question about it. Loye, Suttclifee, Sutton, Chilton and Hodge although(he isn't playing tomorrow). And can they do what Nottingham did and win the divison after coming up from D2? Im not writing you off for sure and tomorrow I think will be a big marker for both sides.

Mahmood could be playing and if so thats a real boost to the Lancs attack. Sutton is a quality player with the bat and an excellent keeper so Lancs fans should have no worries over him and of course who can forget Keedy.

Hampshire of course had a good year last year although for me they justly finished second and I would have felt aggreived if they pipped the far superior Notts to the title. Udal will be in there for Warne as usual when the Aussie is away and given his international success over the summer and a good season last season he really is a key man for Hants. Ervine won't be bowling I don't think due to an injury and with Tremlett not fully fit they may lack the bite to take Lancs.

And batting too. Thornely is very very unproven and they consistently have problems actually getting an opening pair scoring and that hurt them last year. Pothas and Mascarenhas are good quality batsmen but not the threat they should be

I think Lancs will turn them over in this game. Lancs have lost a lot of players who were key last year but even without Anderson you have enough to challenge.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Trescothick should be playing for Somerset tomorrow which is a huge bonus but no Blackwell. Parson and Wood need good innings and providing they deliver on the batting front I don't see many problems for them in taking this game

I think Glous. batting may prevent them from going back up this year. Bond is the key man in that department but he isn't playing tomorrow and with no player avergeing over 35 last year they need to find runs. Bandara will cause problems bowling alongside Lewis and Kirby and Ian Harvey is back after three long years but I dont see anything other than a Somerset win tomorrow

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I was at Somerset's warm-up against a load of club players on Saturday, and although it was abandoned after they batted, Trescothick made 74 from 113 balls and looked very solid. Wes Durston made a fluent 52 from 37 balls and looks like he could be a very good OD player for the Cidermen this year. Cameron White flew in for the game and made an eight-ball duck, spooning one to mid-off after coming in at three. Hopefully he'll improve. Peter Trego also looked useful.

Overall some promising signs for the lads - once Cullen and Blackwell are with us, we may well have a decent outfit on our hands, especially in OD cricket.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I was at Somerset's warm-up against a load of club players on Saturday, and although it was abandoned after they batted, Trescothick made 74 from 113 balls and looked very solid. Wes Durston made a fluent 52 from 37 balls and looks like he could be a very good OD player for the Cidermen this year. Cameron White flew in for the game and made an eight-ball duck, spooning one to mid-off after coming in at three. Hopefully he'll improve. Peter Trego also looked useful.

Overall some promising signs for the lads - once Cullen and Blackwell are with us, we may well have a decent outfit on our hands, especially in OD cricket.
Somerset fan I assume?

As I said above. I think you will win tomorrow. Gloucs. don't have a great batting line up at all and even though they have stepped down a divison its hard to shake that loosing mentality

Barney Rubble

International Coach
DanielFullard said:
Somerset fan I assume?

As I said above. I think you will win tomorrow. Gloucs. don't have a great batting line up at all and even though they have stepped down a divison its hard to shake that loosing mentality
Yep, Somerset fan indeed, despite living in Dorset/Hampshire when at uni. :wacko:

Not really sure how I'd rate our prospects for the current season - it's all on the bowlers really, you can usually guarantee that we're going to get enough runs to compete with the lineup we've got, especially at home.

If the signing of Dan Cullen pays off (which I don't actually think it will) and if just one of the pace bowlers can have a good year, then we might have a shot at promotion. Some top youngsters coming through, particularly James Hildreth and Wes Durston with the bat, and Carl Gazzard with the gloves. Big year for them.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Yep, Somerset fan indeed, despite living in Dorset/Hampshire when at uni. :wacko:

Not really sure how I'd rate our prospects for the current season - it's all on the bowlers really, you can usually guarantee that we're going to get enough runs to compete with the lineup we've got, especially at home.

If the signing of Dan Cullen pays off (which I don't actually think it will) and if just one of the pace bowlers can have a good year, then we might have a shot at promotion. Some top youngsters coming through, particularly James Hildreth and Wes Durston with the bat, and Carl Gazzard with the gloves. Big year for them.
Yes I have heard a lot about young Hildreth. i don't see any reason why a Somerset side playing well cant get promoted. For me D2 is wide open this year and any one of 7 teams could go up (don't fancy Northamptonshire or Derbyshire at all). Surrey may the team to beat in the league but you have every chance of challenging in my eyes.

As I said I think you will win the opener. Especially if Marcus is playing. His 6 innings for you last year didn't produce much but you just get that feeling that after all the trouble over the Summer he will be raring to go. What do you expect the team to be for tomorrow? I think you are one good bowler short though. Caddick is the only one with an average under 30 and the only one to take over 20 wickets. Blackwell may not play as much as last year, well in fact he won't will he as he played 16 games last season and he will be a big loss.

I have heard a lot about Langeveldt. Is he better than his decent stats suggests?