• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently it's meant to rain all day on day 5 in Barbados. Hope Holder knows what he's doing

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'll be disappointing if this is a draw. England really don't deserve it.
Depends on rain, pretty much. If they do manage to bat 150+ overs I think they've kinda earned it.

Holder probably could've declared sooner (and their lead has a cushion of at least 100 runs), but making declarations based on rain is risky TSTL.

SillyCowCorner1

It's always been a tradition for our team to bat till the cows come home against England in the Caribbean.

Lara 400 comes to mind.
Sarwan 291

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Fantastic day of cricket. Holder was exceptional whilst Dowrich scoring s third hundred is very impressive and important for this side.

Bit worried about the pitch though, it's now seriously flat. Tomorrow will be hard work.

I like the look of Burns, he seems like he knows his game, whereas Jennings looks like he's still trying to work out how to play against pace.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
They wont be able to run through England tomorrow but they'll just have to slowly chip away at them. Jennings looks awful though

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Fantastic day of cricket. Holder was exceptional whilst Dowrich scoring s third hundred is very impressive and important for this side.

Bit worried about the pitch though, it's now seriously flat. Tomorrow will be hard work.

I like the look of Burns, he seems like he knows his game, whereas Jennings looks like he's still trying to work out how to play against pace.
Fantastic day of cricket ? That depends on which side of the fence you sit! :laugh:

Fantastic partnership between Holder and Dowrich that’s for sure. As you say the pitch looks seriously flat now, must be for us to see it through to the close 0 wickets down during that tricky period.

Burns has looked as fluent as I’ve seen him, and as you say, Jennings still seems at odds with his own technique, no doubt borne out of being seriously low in confidence and knowing how much pressure he is under this innings.

Was Holder right to delay the declaration ? I don’t know how reliable the forecasters are over there, but he still gave his side the best part of four sessions, worse case scenario, before the threatened rain comes in on the last day. I really can’t see England surviving this by having the last day washed out. He wanted to keep England in the field, drill them into the ground, with the next Test coming soon after this one it was a reasonable tactic. Of course a short-term view would have been to declare much sooner, but today was only the third day and the pitch is flat. I think he declared at roughly the right time.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we bat out the test of course we deserve a draw imo. That's the nature of the game. Just like Aus deserved their draw against pakistan
Well I think it goes without saying that any team batting out 180 overs deserves a draw. You don't deserve the rain though.

Beamer

Fantastic day of cricket ? That depends on which side of the fence you sit! :laugh:

Fantastic partnership between Holder and Dowrich that’s for sure. As you say the pitch looks seriously flat now, must be for us to see it through to the close 0 wickets down during that tricky period.

Burns has looked as fluent as I’ve seen him, and as you say, Jennings still seems at odds with his own technique, no doubt borne out of being seriously low in confidence and knowing how much pressure he is under this innings.

Was Holder right to delay the declaration ? I don’t know how reliable the forecasters are over there, but he still gave his side the best part of four sessions, worse case scenario, before the threatened rain comes in on the last day. I really can’t see England surviving this by having the last day washed out. He wanted to keep England in the field, drill them into the ground, with the next Test coming soon after this one it was a reasonable tactic. Of course a short-term view would have been to declare much sooner, but today was only the third day and the pitch is flat. I think he declared at roughly the right time.
The pitch looks so flat that I think we need these runs tbh. I'm worried, especially as we're not used to winning!

andmark

International Captain
The pitch looks so flat that I think we need these runs tbh. I'm worried, especially as we're not used to winning!
Haha, I hate that feeling of knowing your team's ahead, but not wanting to **** it up with optimism, and so decide to be pessimistic. In all seriousness, England have barely had a top order since 2013, you can relax :p

Woodster

International Captain
I’m not so sure, even on the flattest of pitches the scoreboard pressure will take effect, the qualities and confidence of the WI attack to create enough opportunities to take 10 wickets is very real, we have players that play their shots and perhaps when trying to save the game they may second guess their natural game and get themselves into a confused state.

If England had one day to bat out, and the pitch stayed true I would give us a chance, to bat two days, well, I just can’t see it. The pitch has to deteriorate over the course of the next day or so surely ?

Beamer

Haha, I hate that feeling of knowing your team's ahead, but not wanting to **** it up with optimism, and so decide to be pessimistic. In all seriousness, England have barely had a top order since 2013, you can relax :p
I take your lack of top order and give you the fact that it feels as if the last time we won a test against anyone decent after dominating the whole match must have been in the 90s.

All our recent wins have been from second innings recoveries or bowling performances.

I'm just not used to this, it feels like something awful must be due to happen shortly.

Beamer

I’m not so sure, even on the flattest of pitches the scoreboard pressure will take effect, the qualities and confidence of the WI attack to create enough opportunities to take 10 wickets is very real, we have players that play their shots and perhaps when trying to save the game they may second guess their natural game and get themselves into a confused state.

If England had one day to bat out, and the pitch stayed true I would give us a chance, to bat two days, well, I just can’t see it. The pitch has to deteriorate over the course of the next day or so surely ?
I really hope you're right. Barbados does occasionally go really flat though. I remember Ronnie Sarwans 280 odd followed by a massive England 2nd innings.

SillyCowCorner1

I take your lack of top order and give you the fact that it feels as if the last time we won a test against anyone decent after dominating the whole match must have been in the 90s.

All our recent wins have been from second innings recoveries or bowling performances.

I'm just not used to this, it feels like something awful must be due to happen shortly.
Ease my bredda. We got this.

Roston Chase has a big role to play. We need to rotate our pacers wisely.

At some point, I would love to see Alzarri and Shannon operating in tandem.