• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Woodster

International Captain
Think Windies pacemen, Gabriel in particular, will be a real handful on this deck, but Anderson really led the way with how to bowl on this without any inconsistent bounce.

He asked probing questions all day long, a hint of swing around but his accuracy was unerring and WI almost became afraid to play an aggressive shot to him, and that’s not a criticism of their batting.

Going to be a big test and an intriguing watch seeing how our top order go against the new ball, the openers in particular.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Identifying an issue isn't the same thing as fixing it, and I've seen nothing from Stone that says he actually bowls faster than Anderson and certainly not Stokes. He just swings the ball less.
lol. Stone not faster than Anderson. ok. I mean I guess you might now have seen Stone play.

Beamer

lol. Stone not faster than Anderson. ok. I mean I guess you might now have seen Stone play.
I think he's an 88-90 mph merchant, definitely faster than Jimmy but at the same time he's no Gabriel/Stark/Cummins/Ferguson either. England do seem to be missing that from their attack.

I just have this feeling Stokes is going to get Al Jo and Gabriel in the first over tomorrow and Hety won't even see a delivery.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think he's an 88-90 mph merchant, definitely faster than Jimmy but at the same time he's no Gabriel/Stark/Cummins/Ferguson either. England do seem to be missing that from their attack.
Yes, well, trying to get England to educate those....Harmison was the last one I guess and he broke down after a season and a half

theegyptian

I just have this feeling Stokes is going to get Al Jo and Gabriel in the first over tomorrow and Hety won't even see a delivery.
Yes stone is certainly not absolute out and out pace. He's probably more like mid 80s mph since wrecking his knee, with the potential to crank it up to late80s, early 90s on occasion. Archer and Stone are the two bowlers who tend to get mentioned by county batsmen as being good quality and having that extra yard of pace. Stone gets some good bounce, and has some decent swing and seaming skills too. 43 wickets @ 12 last year in div 2 of the championship, and good career record.

Beamer

Yes stone is certainly not absolute out and out pace. He's probably more like mid 80s mph since wrecking his knee, with the potential to crank it up to late80s, early 90s on occasion. Archer and Stone are the two bowlers who tend to get mentioned by county batsmen as being good quality and having that extra yard of pace. Stone gets some good bounce, and has some decent swing and seaming skills too. 43 wickets @ 12 last year in div 2 of the championship, and good career record.
Didn't realise his County stats were that good. Tbf from what I've seen on TV he looks a good bowler who can crank it up to 90mph at times. Like a decent replacement for Broad in future. Sounds like Archer is most likely to be the really quick bowler England need.

Borges

International Regular
This Jimmy Anderson, in the evening of his career, is now an absolute master of his trade.

Woodster

International Captain
Hetmyer is certainly entertaining to watch, he takes chances with the style in which he bats, not afraid to hit the ball in the air or drive on the up but looks to have an excellent eye and strikes the ball sweetly. He’s certainly going to keep us captivated in this series, lets hope WI can improve pay conditions to avoid him having to go and play in countless T20 competitions and sacrifice his availability in the longer format.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty well-balanced I'd say, depends on how well WI can bowl. Good match.

91Jmay

International Coach
Decent score, Windies have found blokes with some ticker in top order. Have to be disappointed at those tail end scores. In modern cricket tailend runs are vital.

Woodster

International Captain
Decent score, Windies have found blokes with some ticker in top order. Have to be disappointed at those tail end scores. In modern cricket tailend runs are vital.
Yes you expect more (and we’ll surely get more through the course of the series) from Dowrich and Holder, Joseph did a decent job in partnership with Hetmyer, despite getting a duck he survived 22 balls and 51 minutes to allow the set batsman to keep going. Not all teams have the luxury of an Adil Rashid coming in at 10.