• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Sri Lanka 2021

DriveClub

International Regular
I know that this is a long way from the strongest SL side ever, but winning twice when batting last at Galle is a fair effort. Is that five away wins on the trot in the last 13 months or so?
Yep 5 consecutive wins in SL for Eng. This should be their best run in SL.

DriveClub

International Regular
I added it after your reply, but it's actually six as we won the final test there in 2012. Admittedly I needed cricinfo to tell me that one.
That might be the best record in SL, don't know if any other team has a better streak in SL

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great stuff.

Obviously just a truly great series from Root but some really good stuff from others today as well.

Chewy

Cricket Spectator
As an English supporter, I wonder why our players never reach their potential.

Crawley goes back to being crap after that one innings, Lawrence looks ordinary, Curran does not look like becoming a test player (wasn’t there supposed to be potential in his batting) Butler our ‘special talent’averages what 35?. Pope averages what over 50 in first class cricket yet will likely become Graeme Hick mark II.

I know we enjoyed the Aussies losing to India but they have two blokes averaging over 50 with the bat as well an off spinner and two fast bowlers better than anything we have ever produced.

Pothas

Crawley goes back to being crap after that one innings, Lawrence looks ordinary, Curran does not look like becoming a test player (wasn’t there supposed to be potential in his batting) Butler our ‘special talent’averages what 35?. Pope averages what over 50 in first class cricket yet will likely become Graeme Hick mark II.

I know we enjoyed the Aussies losing to India but they have two blokes averaging over 50 with the bat as well an off spinner and two fast bowlers better than anything we have ever produced.
Well this is a weird time to make this post.

ImpatientLime

International Regular

nathan lyon is better than any spinner england have ever produced? tip top lels

Chewy

Cricket Spectator
nathan lyon is better than any spinner england have ever produced? tip top lels
Has any spinner of ours got 400 wickets? I must admit I am too young to have seen Derek Underwood who was supposedly pretty good.

In any case look at our side - name me one player who has reached the heights they were supposed to. I guess I am just disappointed in some of the progress of our young players and see history repeating

grecian

Yeah, odd post, even if I agree with a bit about our lack of ATG's in actually almost every sport, but the Lyon comparison is ridiculous.

Well done lads, must admit didn't think you had it in you, Buttler been brilliant, and maybe sibley will do. Still worry about our spinners in India despite today, but they came back well.

grecian

Has any spinner of ours got 400 wickets? I must admit I am too young to have seen Derek Underwood who was supposedly pretty good.

In any case look at our side - name me one player who has reached the heights they were supposed to. I guess I am just disappointed in some of the progress of our young players and see history repeating
If you are using wickets taken as your main bench-mark, then Anderson is the best ever pace bowler.

Laker and Swann better off-spinners by miles. Probably many others too.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still worry about our spinners in India despite today, but they came back well.
I said elsewhere they aren't great but still better than the spinners we have taken on tour in some other years. Think they will do ok but India's better players will cash in against them and put them under pressure. We don't have Swann and Panesar anymore who were very good, we go with what we have.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Got to say I think Buttler is really getting to grips with test match batting now. Just looks very assured at the crease. India will present a much more difficult challenge with their pace attack but he looks good
He's only playing one test against them

He was good last time in India. Half century in most of the games if I recall.

So the decision to rest him. Then give Foakes a chance to score loads of runs and put him under pressure is baffling.

Considering Foakes was probably gonna replace him prior that partnership with woakes against Pakistan. Makes it even more baffling.

He can miss the IPL if he needs a break.

Chewy

Cricket Spectator
If you are using wickets taken as your main bench-mark, then Anderson is the best ever pace bowler.

Laker and Swann better off-spinners by miles. Probably many others too.
Unfortunately Anderson is not as good as Cummins, Lillee, McGrath and probably even Hazlewood and Ryan Harris if you were to compare us with the Aussies. Seriously when was the last time an English pacer averaged in the low 20’s even when we have better bowling conditions than Australia

Neptune

State Vice-Captain

Haha get a grip. Miserable sod.