• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting take on things below from whoever is writing the Guardian's commentary.

76th over: South Africa 163-3 (Malan 77, du Plessis 19) Root had Curran lined up, but Stokes said he wanted one more. Another case of Stokes getting what he wants, and it not bearing fruit. He’s a commanding batsman now, and has always been a great fielder, but he doesn’t get quite as many wickets as he thinks he does.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm impressed with Dominic Bess! Also Malan, how has he not been selected before this?
He's neither eye-catchingly talented nor a domestic run god (other than in longevity, and I guess maybe three day cricket when he plays that). He was a very good selection but if anything I'm more surprised he's been picked for this game I am that he wasn't picked earlier.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Interesting take on things below from whoever is writing the Guardian's commentary.

76th over: South Africa 163-3 (Malan 77, du Plessis 19) Root had Curran lined up, but Stokes said he wanted one more. Another case of Stokes getting what he wants, and it not bearing fruit. He’s a commanding batsman now, and has always been a great fielder, but he doesn’t get quite as many wickets as he thinks he does.
Weird take I think. If anything Stokes is sometimes underbowled. This may be due to his own desires and the first half of that take may be correct, but I don't think he over-rates his own wicket-taking ability. His strike rate is under 60 and they still sometimes decide they're gonna pick four other seamers and bowl him about as often as Joe Root.

hazsa19

International Regular
Not gonna lie, I’m finding some of KPs inputs bearable, if not slightly enjoyable. Certainly improved from when I’ve heard him before.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He's neither eye-catchingly talented nor a domestic run god (other than in longevity, and I guess maybe three day cricket when he plays that). He was a very good selection but if anything I'm more surprised he's been picked for this game I am that he wasn't picked earlier.
Picked on some recent form but really for his FC experience. It is obvious that all the new selection picks have been players with a decent FC records and experience. I still would have preferred Moore.

hazsa19

International Regular
I'm impressed with Dominic Bess! Also Malan, how has he not been selected before this?
Wow, seriously?
Be prepared for sarcastic ****s on this forum. I’ve been impressed too, certainly surpassed my expectations. Maybe my bar of an acceptable spinner is pretty low when it comes to England, but I think there’s something there.

This is surely the most important passage of the day/ match, can’t see why you don’t go to Jimmy and Broad here.

91Jmay

International Coach
Weird take I think. If anything Stokes is sometimes underbowled. This may be due to his own desires and the first half of that take may be correct, but I don't think he over-rates his own wicket-taking ability. His strike rate is under 60 and they still sometimes decide they're gonna pick four other seamers and bowl him about as often as Joe Root.
It’s more a strange critique for me, as I can’t imagine there is a professional cricketer who doesn’t overrate their own ability. Doesn’t it come with the territory of being a pro athlete?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Be prepared for sarcastic ****s on this forum. I’ve been impressed too, certainly surpassed my expectations. Maybe my bar of an acceptable spinner is pretty low when it comes to England, but I think there’s something there.

This is surely the most important passage of the day/ match, can’t see why you don’t go to Jimmy and Broad here.
I was not being sarcastic. I was genuinely surprised that Bess impressed someone.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also the general rule is that you don't say no if the bowler asks for one more over. Unless he's been doing something terribly wrong.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It’s more a strange critique for me, as I can’t imagine there is a professional cricketer who doesn’t overrate their own ability. Doesn’t it come with the territory of being a pro athlete?
Yeah, it was probably more a criticism of Root for not taking charge. If that's what actually happened. Curran unlucky last ball before lunch fwiw.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why would I not be impressed with Bess. He's bowled consistently & tightly, & given England control. The pitch isn't a raging turner. What else is he supposed to do? I see an excellent young player who is developing & growing in stature.

91Jmay

International Coach
Why would I not be impressed with Bess. He's bowled consistently & tightly, & given England control. The pitch isn't a raging turner. What else is he supposed to do? I see an excellent young player who is developing & growing in stature.
Bess has done his job, kept things tight and snaked two crucial wickets out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Picked on some recent form but really for his FC experience. It is obvious that all the new selection picks have been players with a decent FC records and experience. I still would have preferred Moore.
Yeah I totally agree, and I liked the selection. It shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone that he hasn't played before now when he neither oozes talent nor has an amazing record (other than in experience) though. Sometimes a pick can be excellent without necessarily meaning it should have instead just been a good pick a year earlier.

MrPrez

International Debutant
The Malan pick is really quite Rassie-ish in that regard; hard to argue that Rassie was hard done by earlier in his career in not getting SA opportunities, yet is showing he definitely deserves his shot now. Same with Malan in this match.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bess has done his job, kept things tight and snaked two crucial wickets out.
He's done much better than most of us expected. But I think that the quicks need to be given full use of the new ball as Bess won't run through the last six wickets. I thought Root gave the still new ball much too soon to the spinners at the start of this innings.