• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That is the beauty (or not beauty) of cricket. You can look good and you have a fairly decent technique that gives you a fair chance but it just takes one ball to make a mistake and it seems Denly's issue.
Sighs. I so want Denly to succeed as he's one of the main reasons we've stopped being 30 for 3 more often than not. But if he's not capable of pushing on from the start he's had today on this wicket, when will it happen?

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Once again I was hoping this was going to be Denly’s defining arrival innings on the Test scene, yet once again he looked solid, played some mightily impressive strokes, then got out. I remain uncertain that he genuinely belongs at this level but with the batting order in the disarray it’s in he may eek out a number of further Tests yet as he’s looked more comfortable than most.

Groundking

International Debutant
Sighs. I so want Denly to succeed as he's one of the main reasons we've stropped being 30 for 3 more often than not. But if he's not capable of pushing on from the start he's had today on this wicket, when will it happen?
Yup instead of falling to 30 for 3, and the middle/lower order bailing us out to a semi decent score we now have ok starts but slowly curmble with lots of starts but a not very good score

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do like the idea of these two batting together though, now would be a good place to start.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Once again I was hoping this was going to be Denly’s defining arrival innings on the Test scene, yet once again he looked solid, played some mightily impressive strokes, then got out. I remain uncertain that he genuinely belongs at this level but with the batting order in the disarray it’s in he may eek out a number of further Tests yet as he’s looked more comfortable than most.
Apart from any other considerations, who on earth would replace him at number 3?

Woodster

International Captain
Apart from any other considerations, who on earth would replace him at number 3?
That is the obvious problem, and to be honest anyone that anyone suggests you could make a really good case as to why they shouldn’t get selected! It’s just where we’re at right now and it speaks volumes that there are so many players that you almost automatically talk about reasons why they shouldn’t get in the Test side rather than many players where you feel they almost demand selection.

However, I’m not avoiding the question or sitting on the fence, just buying myself some more time! I will respond further when I’ve given it a tad more thought.

My initial thoughts before these two winter tours was to get a player in that just knows how to score runs consistently, knows his game and let him bat in a position he’s familiar with. So with that in mind I was all for Sam Northeast, there must be a reason none of the selection committees or coaches/captains have fancied him in the past, but he’d be as close to a certainty for me as anyone.

Woodster

International Captain
can we all agree that picking someone on weight of county runs means next to nothing?

In what sense ? Do you mean if you score plenty of CC runs it doesn’t mean you’ll score Test runs ? Or it doesn’t matter how many CC runs you score you’re not necessarily going to get picked for England ?

SeamUp

International Coach
England Lions batting for Australia 4-day tour

Sibley
Jennings
Crawley
Lawrence
Northeast
Hain
Robinson (wk)

Reserve : Bracey

Vince and Malan given the winter off for red-ball cricket I presume but now under consideration for test selection doesn't quite sit right.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
In what sense ? Do you mean if you score plenty of CC runs it doesn’t mean you’ll score Test runs ? Or it doesn’t matter how many CC runs you score you’re not necessarily going to get picked for England ?
as in it doesn't translate into test match performance or even merit call up.

sibley has one shot and one scoring area. how has he got this far through the system?

it is doing very little but produce very one dimensional and flawed cricketers.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England Lions batting for Australia 4-day tour

Sibley
Jennings
Crawley
Lawrence
Northeast
Hain
Robinson (wk)

Reserve : Bracey

Vince and Malan given the winter off for red-ball cricket I presume but now under consideration for test selection doesn't quite sit right.
I think it's accepted that the lions isn't a true England second xi, and as such the players in the lions aren't automatically next in line.

Gnske

If only Joe Clarke had the same desire to accumulate ladies as he did runs.

Wait that's wrong.

Woodster

International Captain
as in it doesn't translate into test match performance or even merit call up.

sibley has one shot and one scoring area. how has he got this far through the system?

it is doing very little but produce very one dimensional and flawed cricketers.
It seems the selectors don’t select based solely on CC runs, in a way that’s quite right. Sibley has been in the system a while and was always going to get a chance in the near future, his selection may have been slightly accelerated by an outstanding CC season.

It doesn’t translate immediately into success at Test level as there is an appreciable step up in terms of quality and also a number of alternative factors for the player to negotiate, the enhanced pressure on and off the pitch and the extreme differences in the pitches they bat on when compared to the CC pitches. Patience and discipline are required on a completely different scale in Test cricket, technique and temperament can generally be found wanting initially.

Pothas

Not got a long tail in this match. Need to score a lot more runs though that is for sure.

Stokes has looked brilliant this winter without a big score yet.

Gnske

The bowling is better this time around, but Stokes is looking just as imperious as that famous day.