• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Stefan9

International Debutant
Better late then never. Stephen Cook added to the squad.

Cook added to Proteas squad
2016-01-18 11:58 SHARE THIS

Stephen Cook (Gallo Images)
Related Links
Drunk Protea wreaks havoc on flight
Barmy Army? Meet 'AB's Babies'
Bodi offered R800 000 to fix matches - report

Cape Town - Cricket South Africa (CSA) has added Stephen Cook to the Proteas squad for the final Test against England, starting at SuperSport Park on Friday.

The Highveld Lions opening batsman currently tops the Sunfoil Series batting averages with 415 runs at an average of 83 including two centuries. If he does gain selection for the final XI he will part of the first ever father and son combination to represent the Proteas in a Test match.

His father, Jimmy, played in three Test matches against India and Sri Lanka between 1992 and 1993.

“Stephen has been in excellent form this season,” commented CSA Selection Convener, Linda Zondi, and gives us another option at the top of the order.”

Proteas Test squad

AB de Villiers (Titans, captain), Kyle Abbott (Dolphins), Hashim Amla (Cape Cobras), Temba Bavuma (Highveld Lions), Stephen Cook (Highveld Lions), Quinton de Kock (Titans), JP Duminy (Cape Cobras), Faf du Plessis (Titans), Dean Elgar (Titans), Morne Morkel (Titans), Chris Morris (Titans), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Rilee Rossouw (Knights), Dale Steyn (Cape Cobras), Stiaan van Zyl (Cape Cobras), Hardus Viljoen (Highveld Lions)
Cook added to Proteas squad | Sport24

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like van Zyl's time has run out. Pity he was required to open imo, I think he's a a pretty decent middle order batsman and better than Bavuma.

91Jmay

International Coach
Piedt should never have been dropped. Made no difference to the result but just another example of bad, muddled selection policy.

Stefan9

International Debutant
So who will be left out ??? Faf ?? And just 3 players of colour again ??
Viljoen will be dropped for piedt,van zyl makes way for cook, if fit qdk will come back in for vilas. Think they will drop faf and give either jp or rossouw a game.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
If Footit doesn't play this game I doubt, given his age, he'll play a Test.

The Windies, in their pomp, used to pick a new young bowler and expect nothing from him. The old heads would do the damage and they could just bowl. With Anderson and road at least steady and Stokes as the wild card Footit could slip in quietly.

By the summer a fit Wood added to the others would block him early and if they want a left armer before long Topley will be talked about, and Curran isn't far down the road if things go well.

SA have to play Abbott and bring back Piedt. The two newest seamers have to be canned.

When he got got there was a report that Steyn had a rotator cuff issue. If that was the case he was never going to feature again in the series.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Also just a correction cause see all the news articles are trying to claim that if stephen gets picked he and jimmy would be the first father/son combo. That is inaccurate but the SA media seems to want to forget that SA played international cricket before 1992. The Pollocks and Nourse were before the Cook pairing.

Marius

International Debutant
Also just a correction cause see all the news articles are trying to claim that if stephen gets picked he and jimmy would be the first father/son combo. That is inaccurate but the SA media seems to want to forget that SA played international cricket before 1992. The Pollocks and Nourse were before the Cook pairing.
The Lindsays too I think, off the top of my head.

EDIT: Currently five father-and-son pairs for SA: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283744.html

Vince van der Bijl and his father, Pieter, would have been another, if it wasn't for isolation.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
So who will be left out ??? Faf ?? And just 3 players of colour again ??
I agree with the others - will be four players of colour, because PIedt will play.

But what is more important, picking the best XI, or trying to shoehorn a player of colour in to meet some arbitrary representivity threshold?

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
It depends on the selectors If guess if they want to enforce the quotas . But selection policy is selection policy. You can't drop it.

I would be happy with faf going out and van zyl going to 5 cook to 1 and piedt in hardus's place. Abbot should come in for morris.

Marius

International Debutant
It depends on the selectors If guess if they want to enforce the quotas . But selection policy is selection policy. You can't drop it.

I would be happy with faf going out and van zyl going to 5 cook to 1 and piedt in hardus's place. Abbot should come in for morris.
I reckon Van Zyl should be moved out totally for now, and either JP or Rossouw comes in at five.

My team:
Cook
Elgar
Amla
AB
Rossouw
Bra T
QDK
Piedt
Abbott
Rabada
Morkel

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All four POC should be picked on merit/performance at this point anyway so it's a bit of a red herring right at this moment, at least as far as the Test side is concerned.