• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

Beleg

International Regular
Just a note: I also had a lot of fun discussing the game with you guys (all the england and pakistani fans) here on cricketweb. Thanks for the laughs and anxiety attacks!

Beleg

International Regular
Based on what exactly?

He is still far and away the best option England have, so if fit, he has to play.
marc,

Do you consider him a better bowler overall than Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Jones? As far as I am concerned, a team should field their four best bowlers, be they four spinners or four pacers. I think the experiment with Shaun Udal backs that.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Because the team make-up only allows for 5 batsmen plus Flintoff, Jones and the 4 bowlers.

The only way to fit them all in is to pick 6 and drop one of the seamers, which is easy if Jones isn't fit, but if he is, then who goes then?
Reports are that Giles is only a 50/50 chance of being fit for India.

I think Colly will be the unlucky one out for the first test - he's boring, from Durham and retains his natural hair colour.

KP will be retained on the basis of potential plus the selectors can point to the 100 he scored in the second test..

Strauss and Vaughan are probably in the most ordinary form of the lot but the former is an opener and the latter is captain.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
The only way to fit them all in is to pick 6 and drop one of the seamers, which is easy if Jones isn't fit, but if he is, then who goes then?
I seriously think Strauss.......Michael Vaughan has such a good average on top of the order before strauss replaced him, atleast for the Indian series as he has been useless on sub-continent pitches as seen in the first 2 games.......maybe rethink when england plays at home???

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because the team make-up only allows for 5 batsmen plus Flintoff, Jones and the 4 bowlers.

but Marc would England be wrong to pick 6 batsmen, Geraint & 4 seamers?, i dont see it being a problem

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aussie said:
but Marc would England be wrong to pick 6 batsmen, Geraint & 4 seamers?, i dont see it being a problem
In India? We might not take a wicket all series if the pitches turn out wrong!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Beleg said:
marc,

Do you consider him a better bowler overall than Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Jones? As far as I am concerned, a team should field their four best bowlers, be they four spinners or four pacers. I think the experiment with Shaun Udal backs that.
In Indian conditions he's more than likely our best option (assuming he is fit)

Any attack needs balance, and since we want a 5 man attack and a 5th seamer is a complete waste of time, spin is the 5th man.

IMO, assuming full fitness, I'd not be too unhappy at the following 11 for India:

Trescothick
Vaughan
Strauss
Ball
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Jones
Harmison

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
In India?!

Mind you, you still think Brett Lee's a world class Test bowler...

Beleg

International Regular
Everyone was assuming that most of the pitches in Pakistan would be raging turners, yet they were proven wrong and your pacers showed that fast bowlers could achieve a measure of success on them. Given the indian batsmen's skill against spinners in general, as well as the fraility of your batting line-up and Jones' ability to reverse-swing the ball, I think the best English combination would be 6 batsmen + keeper + Flintoff + the next three best bowlers. Michael Vaughan and Pieterson can do an adequate enough job in the spin department between themselves - sort of like Shoiab Malik.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Vaughan's knee makes him unable to bowl, and if Pietersen could do any sort of job, then he'd have had a bowl in that last game at some point.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Vaughan's knee makes him unable to bowl, and if Pietersen could do any sort of job, then he'd have had a bowl in that last game at some point.
Didn't Vaughan tell him to warm up at one point, then change his mind?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
aussie said:
so who is going to bowl spin in India then?
Why take a spinner to India?

If the best is Giles I can't see the Indian batsmen having much trouble with him. May as well play 4 seamers plus Collingwood and bat Flintoff at 7 where he belongs

PY

International Coach
godofcricket said:
I seriously think Strauss.......Michael Vaughan has such a good average on top of the order before strauss replaced him, atleast for the Indian series as he has been useless on sub-continent pitches as seen in the first 2 games.......maybe rethink when england plays at home???
I honestly think Strauss at 4 would be great.

Trescothick
Vaughan
Bell
Strauss
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Jones
Hoggard/Harmison

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
In India?!

Mind you, you still think Brett Lee's a world class Test bowler...
no no, i wasn't too clear their i wasn't refering to the India tour where i do think Giles could be effective since the pitches in India should be more helpful, i was talking more about from next years home season & beyond