• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I slept through all of that except the first hour, damn

Nice scorecard to wake up. And always interesting reading back over these threads after a day of BazBall as it’s always full of ‘no this time they/we need to bat normally’ posts

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Bazball proof that run rates in Test cricket are between 2.5-4 runs per over because of mindset and not conditions? Cause this England side have scored quickly everywhere they have been so far to great success.
Yes. It's like ODIs before everyone realised you don't need to play at a strike rate of 70 where guys like Bevan can chase your total down with their eyes closed.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
That was tongue in cheek... Quietly I do sympathize with the likes of Larsen and Gary. I know that sounds strange but I feel they don't have a lot of say. If they try to move a senior on there will be a furore but then they are tied as well. They will have to listen to the captain otherwise they will upset the senior group which is pretty much everyone in Black Caps. If they persist with youth here and there but the results don't go our way they get plenty of push back from the senior group, media as well as supporters like us. Case in point is Finn Allen, Phillips or Ravindra. Either they leave and the team gets a very strong selector/coach that does stuff with vision or these guys have to roll with the senior group meaning we won't see much youth coming through for few years till every one of the seniors have hung their boot. Or you need a captain from the group that is all for youth but I can't think of anyone of that kind from this group.

Have a look at our white ball side too which generally has fair bit of youth but we are absolutely bereft of youth and exuberance barring maybe one or two players.

BazBall21

International Regular
If Root bats normally and avoids any really good Southee spells (or balls where the others just click) he'll score like 350+ if he wants.
Tbf I think England had bowling under the lights in mind both innings, but generally I would like to see Root play his own game more. There was nothing productive or selfless about that first innings dismissal shot.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I slept through all of that except the first hour, damn

Nice scorecard to wake up. And always interesting reading back over these threads after a day of BazBall as it’s always full of ‘no this time they/we need to bat normally’ posts
I was just surprised to see how many of our countrymen were up throughout the night. Are they all being kept awake by recent additions to their families? Or have they joined adders in moving down under? Perhaps they just have way more energy than I do, which isn't surprising, I suppose.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbf I think England had bowling under the lights in mind both innings, but generally I would like to see Root play his own game more. There was nothing productive or selfless about that first innings dismissal shot.
Yeah the traditionalist in me just wants him to bat like he was pre-Bazball and go on some insane runs. I'm supporting Aussie in the Ashes but I want your lot to hurt them because they deserve it. They're far too optimistic these days.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was just surprised to see how many of our countrymen were up throughout the night. Are they all being kept awake by recent additions to their families? Or have they joined adders in moving down under? Perhaps they just have way more energy than I do, which isn't surprising, I suppose.
Yep. I have a one day old baby.

This and the India and Australia series are really excellently timed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the highlights, I don't think that most of the many of England's proper batsmen got out through being over-aggressive today. Pope and Root down to poor execution rather than poor shot selection, and Brook's probably wishing that he'd tried to whack the ball that dismissed him rather than playing defensively. Stokes the one exception of course, but I think he's the only one.