• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I just think it's old news now to say New Zealand's a talentless side who does the basics well. We've been up in the chasing bunch for the last 2 or 3 years now

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And I thought England were taking steps forward in the colours...
They are. Taking steps forward doesn't automatically make you a good side though, so bad games are still going to occur. And yes, even bad series. Regardless of this horrible performance, I'd still rate this team a lot better than the World Cup team, for example, and I expect them to continue to improve.

Truly horrible performance today, but it doesn't take mean they aren't improving as a team, slowly but surely.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
England are in a similar position to NZ. They're trying to blood new players like we are. But it seems NZ are one or two steps ahead right now.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Jeez, McCullum is scoring them at a fair clip these days. But the scary thing is, you don't even realise how fast he is scoring. (not taking into account the Bangladesh massacre)

50 in 27? :eek:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
They are. Taking steps forward doesn't automatically make you a good side though, so bad games are still going to occur. And yes, even bad series. Regardless of this horrible performance, I'd still rate this team a lot better than the World Cup team, for example, and I expect them to continue to improve.

Truly horrible performance today, but it doesn't take mean they aren't improving as a team, slowly but surely.
I guess thats true to an extent. Most of the squad members are better and more deserving than those who were in the WC squad, but I think England need to manage there players better. I don't think Bell is an ODI player and they need to stop looking for a Gilchrist copy. The bowling seems alright, though I think Broad needs to go back to county and learna f ew more tricks there. As much as you don't want to hear it, Mahmood did alright after his surgery last year and he was probably England's best bowler at the WC, hopefully he can put in a few good performances when the season starts up again and make a comeback.

As for the batting, it seems a question of application rather than skill, Shah has made a good comeback to ODIs while Colly and KP have been solid, though Colly has been waning slightly. Bopara obviously has the talent to be in the team, but with Bell being the golden child of English cricket, it will be hard to see him out of the team.

Also, Dmitri needs to be in the team, especially on NZ pitches.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing is tho, apart from that Wellington pitch..you won't see anything slow in NZ anymore. It's taken a number of years and after enduring series after series of scores between 180 and 220. We're now seeing pitches in NZ that produce 280+ scores.

And it will benefit our players much more for what they'll face overseas. No doubt about it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, why are people calling for Bell to be dropped? He's currently England's third (arguably second) best ODI bat for ****s sake.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Absolutely superb effort from the Black Caps. Glad Mason got a game and bowled well, am a fan of his and hope he can get a continued run in the side since Bond has gone for good and Gillespie has finally been dropped. Martin has improved dramatically but I still rate Mason>Martin in the shorter form.

McCullum was sensational. Has really taken to opening the innings now. Was completely against it but now I'm a convert as he's shown he's got what it takes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I'm impressed by your ability to make reasoned judgements so soon after today's debacle, but I'm afraid I'm still firmly in hang 'em & flog 'em mode. Especially after 2 equally dire performances in the space of a few days.

Ultimately the problem with English cricketers appears to be that they're as thick as pig****. Last year, for the first time in about 15 years, they seemed to have grasped the lesson that if you don't make a score then you don't win. Come 2008, that's all been forgotten, and they're inventing ways to get out rather than making damn sure they set NZ something around 250. They were probably horribly complacent, despite making all the right noises about not taking NZ seriously, and they've come massively unstuck. Hopefully the Barmy Army gave them the biggest truckload of abuse ever heard on a cricket ground.

It's easy to sit here and make snap judgements, so lets have a go. Mustard is what you get from picking a player after half a decent season - we'll get a decent performance one in a while, but basically he's ordinary. Bell is one of those players who has "loser" written all over him: on a good day he'll make a score but fall short of making it really count, but on a bad day he simply does a passable impression of a rabbit stuck in front of headlghts. Pietersen has lost interest & is too busy sulking about the amount of cricket that the poor dear has to play. Collingwood will have his moments, but he's decidedly 2nd division compared to othjer sides' key players. As captain, he is also answerable for the ****e sttitude of this shower. Shah probably isn't good enough. Bopara might be good enough one day, but isn't helped coming in at 7 when the innings is in freefall.
Despite 160 for 0, I have a bit more sympathy for the bowlers, who've twice been on a hiding to nothing after batting capitulations. It's not easy to build up pressure in a match which your batsmen have already handed to the opposition on a plate. But they should still be a hell of a lot better than we saw today.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, by golly I enjoyed that.

Edit: I really wonder where Scaly gets to at times like these...

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Absolutely superb effort from the Black Caps. Glad Mason got a game and bowled well, am a fan of his and hope he can get a continued run in the side since Bond has gone for good and Gillespie has finally been dropped. Martin has improved dramatically but I still rate Mason>Martin in the shorter form.

McCullum was sensational. Has really taken to opening the innings now. Was completely against it but now I'm a convert as he's shown he's got what it takes.
Mason and Martin definitely > Gillespie
I dont see why we can't have all of them in the team, even if it is a turner. Giving a line-up of Mills, Martin, Mason, Oram, Vettori.

I also gotta say, just like you NZT, I was against McCullum's move to open aswell, and just like you, I'm a convert.

Just check out these stats :-O

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a win!

Though I did feel a little bit sorry (as a fast bowler) for the truly god awful fielding display put on by England. Poor old Sidebottom, he was bowling with all he could and his fielders couldn't catch a cold... Well.... I was feeling sorry for him until he dropped that C&B oppo.

What a woeful performance from England. Cue some jingoistic tripe from Millmow tomorrow followed by an equally woeful performance from NZ in a subsequent game which'll see Millmow do a 360 back to slagging us off!

How many poor performances will Jesse be allowed before the media launch at him and his 'weight'? My guess is zero.

pasag

RTDAS
Love NZ and English fan reactions when their side loses, so when they play each other you know you're going to get good value for money one way or the other :ph34r:

What's with Bell? Last time I checked it was vs India and he had finally made it as a top class one-day player, haven't seen him a whole heap since but the last seven matches have been worrying.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very pleased to see Ryder play through the off-side, and well too. Seems proficient on the pull-shot, and there was a lot of short bowling to dispatch. Still get the feeling he might be prone to slogging if he gets a little bogged down, but today was a massive step forward for him, and he's gone up in my estimations.