• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Days of Grace

International Captain
36 overs 'ere.

NZ will be aiming to keep this under 200 me thinks, and with England falling over like a sack of ****e, it may very well be 150.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Michael Mason bowling magnificently here. Gutted to see KP fail to kick on, think the rain break can be blamed for that.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
England showing how bad they really are.

Its funny how a few games in "joke format" make people think they are suddenly awesome. Remember this is dire old England folks.

Oh, and NZ is ranked 3rd in the world.
Oh, and havent we won 7 out of 9 against the Poms?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can anyone tell me how Mason went? Did he get some movement? Normally gets a bit predictable after a while.

England's running is ridiculous. Tee he he.

Perm

England showing how bad they really are.

Its funny how a few games in "joke format" make people think they are suddenly awesome. Remember this is dire old England folks.

Oh, and NZ is ranked 3rd in the world.
Oh, and havent we won 7 out of 9 against the Poms?
England did beat Sri Lanka 3-2 in Sri Lanka, and beat India 4-3 in England. Not to mention the the Commonwealth Bank series, which (aside from the World Cup) have been three of their last four ODI series. They lost the NatWest Bank series against the West Indies, but that team still contained tripe like Prior, Plunkett and Panesar.

Also, you've got to realise that possibly the biggest reason we managed to reach #3 in the world is no unavailable to be selected. Add to that Stephen Fleming's retirement, McMillan's too, and Vincent's mental illness. While we've still got the core group of players (McCullum, Vettori, Oram, Mills, Styris), we've also got players like Chris Martin, an out-of sorts Jeetan Patel, a Ross Taylor who is entirely dependent on one shot and a largely unproven Michael Mason. Jamie How has had a good start to his career, but hasn't proven himself just yet, while Ryder hasn't proven anything other than a big of a slogger, to me anyway. Fortunately for us, the class of core players we've got has largely hidden our weaknesses, except when under heavy scrutiny. I really don't want to sound overly negative, but we've still got a lot of passengers.

Perm

Can anyone tell me how Mason went? Did he get some movement? Normally gets a bit predictable after a while.
I saw him early on and it looked as though he was relying heavily on slower balls. Bowled accurately though, kept a tight line and length. Picked up the biggest wicket in the game too.

EDIT: Ian Smith has just said that Mason's picked up a shoulder injury. :( Just as he was getting some consistency in his performances.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

England's running is ridiculous. Tee he he.
Yeah he was really good. He bowled a lot of slowers balls before the rain break, as Perm said, but the pitch had a bit of life in it when they came back out and he got some really exaggerated seam movement, highlighted with the perfect off-cutter he bowled to get Shah out.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This lad Bopara is diobolical between the wickets.

On current form, it defies belief that he's keeping Mascarenhas out of the side.

Perm

TBF, Bopara is wasted down at #7, and it's not really his fault. Personally I reckon Bell should be dropped for Mascarenhas in the next game, and move Bopara up to #3.

Cook played a fine innings today though. Was fairly aggressive initially, especially through the off-side (unusual for him), and then slowed it down a bit when Pietersen joined him. Unfortunately he couldn't keep it going after the break, when the rest of England's batting was collapsing around him. I still think he's got it in him to be a quality ODI opener, and today was another step in the right direction.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, we aren't awesome at Test match cricket. It might help if we played it......

Given that this IS a One Day International match, isn't it a given that I was talking about One Day International ranking! We have been ranked 3rd or there about for about the last 4-5yrs haven't we? Whereas England have been floating around down the ranks for god knows how long.

Nothing ironic about it.....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He reminds me a bit of Chris Harris. Very handy batsman but almost a liability with his running. Of course, its early days for Bopara so it may just be a blip right now.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ Bopara. Must be Kiwi-born and wants to give back to the community.

Just saw Mason's ball to Shah. One of the best balls bowled since 2000? I think so.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, we aren't awesome at Test match cricket. It might help if we played it......

Given that this IS a One Day International match, isn't it a given that I was talking about One Day International ranking! We have been ranked 3rd or there about for about the last 4-5yrs haven't we? Whereas England have been floating around down the ranks for god knows how long.

Nothing ironic about it.....
Nah, I still think it was fairly ironic that you blasted England for thinking they were a good team after winning a few games in a joke format and then beated your chest about NZ's #3 ODI ranking.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Luke Wright in to open with Cook, drop Bopara & Swann out (cause he doesn't look like making runs or wickets) bat Mustard lower and bring in Mascarenhas who was really impressive with his slower bowling.