• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They're touring again in 2019/20 for 2 tests. Guessing they'll both be day-nighters.
Ah okay, that's basically fine then. I don't mind splitting up a tour over two seasons like that.

Three T20Is is always a bit much for me though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If Cook was dropped he'd simply score a million runs at Essex, basically showing himself to be the only viable opener (in two positions) irrespective and make the ECB look a bit foolish.

And England was once famed for her openers!
I think he'd retire if he was pushed. But yeah, 667 runs in 10 innings with three centuries last season. We know he's better than almost all of the guys on the county circuit. Worth noting his South Africa series was decent as well. Worth noting his South Africa series last summer was decent as well. Average of 33.5 with a couple of big fifties in the conditions he played in against such a high quality bowling lineup would be like him averaging 50 and getting two centuries in the India series this year.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Just a ton of ODIs. Think there's a home ODI series against Aus too. Guess it makes sense to prepare for the WC but surely a couple of tests should have been possible.
Did Australia play ODIs when they toured for tests last summer? If not they're due an ODI tour their.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No. Never ever. David White has stripped them of Test status internally.
Tbf, I'm betting it's mutual. I'm guessing Sri Lanka will be saving their home test series for countries that will actually draw a decent intl audience.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
England have had one test series and one ODI series in Sri Lanka in the last ten years. They must be desperate for us to make another visit.

Edit: Just looked and we're due to go there for tests and ODIs in October/November. Makes sense.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ah okay, that's basically fine then. I don't mind splitting up a tour over two seasons like that.

Three T20Is is always a bit much for me though.
Also adding to the randomness of our schedule, the latest version of the FTP on the ICC's website has England popping down for another 2 test series next November. :blink:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also adding to the randomness of our schedule, the latest version of the FTP on the ICC's website has England popping down for another 2 test series next November. :blink:
>inb4 ECB try to claim it's actually the same series, and that NZ haven't won this one yet

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why does Wood have RAF title? Seems to be able to get to 136ks and that’s his limit! Even Broad seems quicker!
It's a relative thing. English domestic pitches and scheduling create such trundlers that Wood stands out in comparison despite being decidedly fast-medium. Like in the late forties when Trevor Bailey was considered the fastest bowler in England because they didn't have anyone else.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England have had one test series and one ODI series in Sri Lanka in the last ten years. They must be desperate for us to make another visit.

Edit: Just looked and we're due to go there for tests and ODIs in October/November. Makes sense.
And that Test series was a last minute affair, pretty sure it wasn't part of the FTP.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
i have just watched the sky hour long highlights. I'm actually a bit confused about Sodhi's innings. It speared to be chance after chance after chance?

His chances to balls ratio 2 to 3 times higher than Wagner's?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Went out for the evening after CdG's brain fade and was not expecting the draw. Was checking Cricinfo constantly though, which still was gripping stuff. Sodhi WAG and Wagner WAG. Glad we batted out the full overs (and then some) and weren't saved by bad light earlier than it was. As poor as the top order shot selection was, England didn't get their 10 and Sodhi, CdG and Wagner's efforts should be rewarded. Nice escape, stoked we finally got a series win over England at home after so long.

Good to see KW call for more Test cricket too. Too bad no-one with influence will care.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats NZ. well deserved. should have been more than 2 tests.

My thoughts.

Bairstow should be batting up the order. Don't care if he still wants the gloves. Tell him it's for the good of the team and bring in Foakes.

Leach did ok. He doesn't bowl many bad balls. It's a start. That pitch offered nothing.

The third seamer is probably going to be TRJ at home this summer and the wickets will be green. Won't solve anything.

Cook will not be dropped. Whether he decides to pack it in I don't know though. Last summer I was of the mind we're even more utterly screwed without him but we're not really missing out on much atm. I'd expect Stoneman will keep his place for now. I don't think Vince has it in him long term but I see something about Malan.

The ECB are making things worse with the county scheduling.

We're utterly utterly screwed when Jimmy retires.

Meh.

I can't argue with much of that.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Good gamesmanship for me, & completely within the rules. I put it in the same sort of category of sportsmanship as a batsman not walking after nicking one.
Nah, it's gamesmanship. Not walking when you've hit one is borderline cheating. I totally understand why batsmen don't walk but it doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd encourage anyone on my team to do it but it's just funny that there's certain rule bending which is considered cleaver and others which is considered outrageous.
It's down to umpires to nip obvious gamesmanship in the bud.

More umpires need to go down the Karachi route of not giving a **** that the fielding side can't see the ball because they've wasted time.